Replacement bearings for DW 5000 double pedal

A few months ago the main pedal bearing (the one the spring attaches to) started sticking then started wearing through.

While the difficulty in playing this has helped with strength and endurance I'd really like to get a replacement. :) I've moved the bearing from the auxiliary pedal to the main pedal to get by, but now I'm back to a single pedal.

These are only about a year and a half old and should still be under warranty. Phone calls and emails to Guitar Center where I bought the pedal have not gotten me replies back, much less a replacement. This treatment after I spent thousands and thousands of dollars with them!

DW has no phone number on their web site that I can see. I have been promised replacement bearings from them twice via email, but haven't received them after waiting a couple of months. Now they don't even reply to my emails.

I'm pretty disappointed in DW and Guitar Center. Does anyone know how I can get through to someone at these companies that cares enough to send me a simple under $5.00 part?

This seems to be a pretty generic inexpensive bearing, can I get one from somewhere else?

Call 411, ask for Drum Workshop in Oxnard, California and ask for customer service.

If take that bearings out and go to a bearing house. They will be able to match it.

Now you have me thinking about one of my pedals, The slave side is sluggish no matter how I adjust it. I am going to replace those bearings this week.

***snip***
This seems to be a pretty generic inexpensive bearing, can I get one from somewhere else?

Can you see a number on the bearings? If so, find an industrial supply store in your area (Google your city and industrial supply) and ask if they sell bearings. Have a tape measure handy so you can say stuff like "yeah, the O.D. is (this is the outside diameter), the I.D. (the inner diameter or inside hole) is this wide (the width of the bearing). These three measurements and the number off of the side of the bearing should get you the right part number. I say should, because some specialty bearings are only made my one company, and not all sales places sell all brands.

You can do this with all kinds of things, and save huge money! Cars, boats, snowmobiles, ect ect ect...

Yep that's the same person that I was dealing with and he said that they had some email server issues and was sending out me part - a month ago! I'm getting less happy with DW's "support" every minute. Looks like they want the store you buy their stuff from to support it. Even though Guitar Center is a bricks and mortar store their support was still no good. Should have just ordered everything on the Internet.

Thanks for the phone number, they'll be getting a call Monday!

Drum Workshop's main number is 805-485-6999.

I spoke with customer service rep. Jon Dewey earlier this week regarding e-mails sent to him in January in reference to a part needed. He sincerly apologized for the non-response(supposely due to off/ on server problems that are resolved now). He shipped my part out priority mail and included some dw swag as well.

I believe dw's pedal warranty only apllies to their cast parts. .

Right from the DW WEBSITE at http://www.dwdrums.com/faq/faq.htm

DW Pedals and Hardware Warranty:

For a period of five years from the date of purchase, Drum Workshop, Inc. guarantees the original owner, when presented with proof of purchase, that all 9000, 5000 and 7000 Series Bass Drum Pedal cast parts are free of material and manufacturing defects. This warranty is limited to cast parts only; such as the base casting, footboard, beater hub, sprocket, heel and cam casting. This warranty does not include moving parts; such as the spring assembly, beater ball, radius rod, hex shaft, ball bearings, etc. If under normal playing conditions parts covered in this limited five year warranty fail, they will be replaced at no charge. Return the pedal to your authorized DW dealer or, if there is not a dealer in your area, contact DW direct. DO NOT send pedal to DW without first receiving a Return Authorization Number. Shipping charges to DW will be paid by the consumer. DW’s maximum liability pursuant to this warranty is limited to the monetary value of the product that is the subject of the warranty claim. This is a summary only; please see the actual limited warranty for additional terms and conditions.

The schematic for the pedal is found here:
http://www.dwdrums.com/info/parts/

It lists the part as a hinge... I guess ya can't just get bearings from DW...

Didn't know that the bearings weren't covered, but I was more than happy to buy the bearing from them before they told me that it was covered under warranty.

Jon said that he would send me the bearing, maybe he did and I just didn't get it, BUT he or someone at DW should reply back to my messages.

And just because this piece of the pedal isn't under warranty is no reason for them not to be there for me. I have no problem paying the 69 cents that the bearing should cost, but they absolutely need to provide the support after the sale, even if I have to pay for it!

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice, maybe a phone call Monday will get this resolved and help them with a weak part of their customer service.

I believe dw's pedal warranty only apllies to their cast parts. If they do send you parts it's because they want to, not that they need to. Yes, if they did tell you they would send them it's wrong that they have not sent them yet, but also keep in mind the first part of the year is a very busy time for them (aside from their server problems).

I too have spent thousands on their products, but in no way do I expect them to be there for me when un-warranted parts fail.

The replacement bearings that DW sent a while back have been steadily getting worse, to the point that I can hardly play over the squeaking and rough action.

I checked DW's web site again which still says to get them from your dealer. I contacted Guitar Center again, they just said to get them from DW.

So I emailed DW and this time got a prompt reply. I was told that a bad batch of bearings had gone out and that they'd send me another pair (double kick). And gave me a link in case I ever needed more:

http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=DWSP016/1845.0.1.1

Now that's better! :)

***snip***

Can you see a number on the bearings? If so, find an industrial supply store in your area (Google your city and industrial supply) and ask if they sell bearings. Have a tape measure handy so you can say stuff like "yeah, the O.D. is (this is the outside diameter), the I.D. (the inner diameter or inside hole) is this wide (the width of the bearing). These three measurements and the number off of the side of the bearing should get you the right part number. I say should, because some specialty bearings are only made my one company, and not all sales places sell all brands.

You can do this with all kinds of things, and save huge money! Cars, boats, snowmobiles, ect ect ect...

Good idea. I would even suggest going to a local skateboarding shop with the pedal. You could plug different bearings into it right there. The bearings in these pedals are not exotic or high-performance and should be able to replace them easily.

I have not been able to find any sort of markings or numbers on the bearings. I've taken them to several parts and machine shops, but haven't had any luck. If I can take close enough measurements I could maybe order them online, I've done that with other types of machinery, but I don't have anything that measures that closely.

This isn't a big city, I haven't seen any skateboard shops.

At any rate it sounds like they've figured out that they had a bad batch of bearings and have gotten the problem fixed. Now I can go back to those foot paradiddles I was trying to practice! :)

Good idea. I would even suggest going to a local skateboarding shop with the pedal. You could plug different bearings into it right there. The bearings in these pedals are not exotic or high-performance and should be able to replace them easily.

Back