Better than John Densmore?

crdirtRider856

Silver Member
OK, so I have had this ongoing argument with a friend. It basically revolves around the Doors and their drummer. I SAY- "he was an integral part in the writing/recording/live performances that made the band into the legacy that they are today.HE SAYS- "if they had a better drummer, they would have put out better songs and maybe gone on a little longer"
Yeah I know, I have had this similar debate with said person involving Ringo. Either way, IMO Jim Morrison *was a lil overrated* but still an extremely talented and proficient(sic) songwriter and performer, BUT without the the style and certain "finesse" John played with.I dont think the Doors would be "The Doors" Basically,I want to know if I am alone in my thinking that even though he might not have been the "best" drummer at the time, he was certainly the most suited for the gig he was doing. Help me settle this argument please. IF not just to be right but also to show that its not all about "chops" and/or speed but that it is all about what is played for what's required.

Ok, I was never a big doors fan, and I agree that Jim Morrison was over rated, but I would say from what i have heard of the Doors that JD was more than an average drummer and did a great job in a band that had pretty ordinary songs and arrangements. I would never say he was a weak link in that band by any means.
Baz

Actually The Doors were a fantastic band. Morrison wasn't about his singing, it was about his whole attitude - I agree that he was a limited singer, but that wasn't the point. Densmore was and still is an excellent drummer and far better than just 'average'.

If you listen closely to every doors songs you'll will hear all the little details that JD was playing, he's an excellent, creative & musical player.

Hello, colleagues.

John Densmore is a jazz drummer with an unbeatable theatrical sensibility.
Listen to the song The End, and the background drums.

Thanks & Regards,

If you listen closely to every doors songs you'll will hear all the little details that JD was playing, he's an excellent, creative & musical player.

Hello, colleagues.

John Densmore is a jazz drummer with an unbeatable theatrical sensibility.
Listen to the song The End, and the background drums.

Thanks & Regards,

I was thinking of "The End" when I wrote my post ;-)

I've always been a huge Doors fan and love Densmore's drumming on the albums. I remember reading about him and how he liked to drop accents out of nowhere...always paying attention to dynamics.

I don't consider him just a "simple" drummer....a lot of that music is complex and he fit in perfectly.

I just got done listening to "When the Music's Over" and thought of this thread. Check that song out for the solos and jazz-style comping if you have any doubts about Densmore's chops. Some *great* playing there...and the drums sound great on the recording too.

I'm no good for this thread because I absolutely can't stand the Doors.

In the late 60's, Led Zeppelin opened for them and blew them off the stage. I would have loved to have seen that.

Does anyone here know the ride cymbal that JD was using on Riders on the Storm?

That is a beautiful sound...

Not my info. Densmore was an accomplished jazz drummer, who together Robby Krieger & Manzerak helped keep it all together, because 9 times out of 10, they had no idea what was going to happen on stage.

Manzrak was the leader, and the main composer of the recorded music. The band's role, as described by him was to lay a bed for Jim to do his thing..

..anything could happen...at any time, and they had to be ready.

the doors wouldn't have gone on any longer if the drummer was Steve Gadd, Jim ODed.

I think there are plenty of cats who could have done a better job in that band, but we can't say that with any certainty cause that wasn't the case. Densmore was the drummer and that's the end of the argument. There's no point in pondering a hypothetical sit-in or replacement by a "better drummer" because it's irrelavent. No better drummer can ever be the drummer for the doors.

aydee;468547Manzrak was the leader said:
THANK YOU! I dont know how this got moved from the "drummer" section to here...well I know "how" but its all good, thanks. This will give me some good "ammo" to supplement my side of the argument, I guees I gotta bring it back up as its been a while.

Fouronsix- well put....

Does anyone here know the ride cymbal that JD was using on Riders on the Storm?

That is a beautiful sound...

I know it was posted very very long ago but I was also looking for that. It seems it was a Paiste 602. Good news are these series are released again.
I was wondering, How many great drummers played on LUDWIG/Paiste ?

I think he was a well rounded drummer, and is one of my "improv" influences.

His accents, and control and DYNAMIC are not to be messed with.

Besides maybe Danney Carrey.

Back