DW 9000 Strap Conversion

General Sherman

Hey all. I have a 9000 single and was hoping to try the strap that comes with it. The problem is I can't seem to figure out how to loosen the section on the footboard. It says to use a screwdriver and a wrench, but you physically can't get to the screw because there is a bracket on the bottom covering it. Anybody have a clue how to get it off?

Are you talking about the toe-stop bracket? That has to come off first. Then you can get to the screw on the pedal plate to take off the chain.

Yep

the screw they are referring to is held in with loctite so it takes some force to get it loose. I don't think I used the wrench to hold the nut underneaty, I think I actually used a pair of pliers on the screwdriver to get more leverage to break the screw loose. Just be careful not to strip the head. I switched to the strap 2 years ago and haven't looked back.

I have two DW5000 pedals and I converted both from chain to strap a few years ago. I got tired of getting grease on my fingers when putting the chains back on the cams. The straps work just fine. In fact, I have played chain, strap and direct drive over the years and I have never been able to tell the difference.

I have two DW5000 pedals and I converted both from chain to strap a few years ago. I got tired of getting grease on my fingers when putting the chains back on the cams. The straps work just fine. In fact, I have played chain, strap and direct drive over the years and I have never been able to tell the difference.

Couldn't tell a difference? Really? My foot must be overly-sensitive! Damn.

Couldn't tell a difference? Really? My foot must be overly-sensitive! Damn.

Or mine is really insensitive! I find the strap works just as well as the chain, although a chain looks cooler.

If you have the tension, throw and other adjustments identical, I don't see how the difference chain, strap or direct drive is going to be perceptible. The only job of the chain or strap or drive arm is to pull the beater down and pull the pedal board back up.

Or mine is really insensitive! I find the strap works just as well as the chain, although a chain looks cooler.

If you have the tension, throw and other adjustments identical, I don't see how the difference chain, strap or direct drive is going to be perceptible. The only job of the chain or strap or drive arm is to pull the beater down and pull the pedal board back up.

To me when I switched to the strap I left all the settings identical and it felt smoother and lighter than a chain to me.

Well, I will admit that if you're dealing with a cam for the chain or strap attachment (as you can adjust this cam on the DW9000), those two feel pretty much the same. Besides, the DW9000 isn't really a chain drive anyway - there's no sprocket for the chain to pull on. But as soon as you go from a chain/strap to a direct drive (like the Trick Pro 1-V), it was almost too weird.

Ironically, when I played the Trick I did everything I could to make it feel like my old pedals. Then I returned it because I had just spent $350 on a pedal that felt like my old one! Why do I need a $350 Tama Iron Cobra Jr.?

To me when I switched to the strap I left all the settings identical and it felt smoother and lighter than a chain to me.

I haven't done the conversion on my DW 9000 yet but this is exactly how my Yamaha Flying dragon felt when I converted it from chain to strap. It feels much lighter.

Back