Favourite singer(s)

Joan Jett
Patty Smyth

Ha Ha!! Can't help but notice your location, Gruntersdad. "Florida...God's waiting room."

Brilliant! Just very ingenious, thought-provoking humor, there. Nice!

Oh....sorry, I'm gonna post my favorite FEMALE singers shortly. Just couldn't help commenting on your location. Very funny!

Ok...

Here's the list of my favorite FEMALE singers, in no particular order:

Patsy Cline
Karen Carpenter
Ann Wilson
Stevie Nicks
Pat Benatar
Linda Ronstadt
Janis Joplin
Maria Carey
Ella Fitzgerald
Colby Calais
Grace Slick
Etta James
Sinead O'Connor
Aimee Mann
Carly Simon
Joan Baez
Tina Turner
Shania Twain
Carole King
Donna Summer

Well...that's about it for the FEMALE singers. Thanks!

Dear Polly,
Yes, Kate is great and love her style! By the way, thanks to you - I started using those smiling faces, to break the routine.....:)

Jeff, I think you should put all the people in those lists in order :p

Kate Pierson ... forgot about her, Ian. She's great!

Dear Polly,
Yes, Kate is great and love her style! By the way, thanks to you - I started using those smiling faces, to break the routine.....:)

Cheers Ian. No doubt I overuse them, but given that I like to kid around and how easy it is for people to misunderstand each other on the web, I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

Kate has a really appealing quality about her voice - heaps of charm. I love singers with that X factor like her and John Lennon. And, of course, Freddie conquered the world with a charm offensive we'll sadly never see again.

Every now and then vocalists come up with emotional performances that are often not technically impressive but have knocked my socks off, like:

John Cale's version of Heartbreak Hotel

Marianne Faithfull singing Why'd Ya Do it and Sister Morphine

BB King singing anything http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sMWTqUuSh4

Melanie Safka in Candles In the Rain

Robert Plant in Since I've Been Loving You

Joe Cocker's cover of A Little Help from My Friends

Elton singing Candle In The Wind

Peter Gabriel singing Stagnation when he was with Genesis.

Janis Joplin in Ball and Chain

Drums are great but, deep down, great vocal performances are the ultimate for me. I'll probably get beaten up for saying this :)

Vocals are so profound and soul-filling...Wow! thanks, I am going to check those links.
No worries! I will release the PanzerKampfWagen (tigers) to back and defend you, who ever tries to beat you! :-]

Cheers Ian. No doubt I overuse them, but given that I like to kid around and how easy it is for people to misunderstand each other on the web, I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

Kate has a really appealing quality about her voice - heaps of charm. I love singers with that X factor like her and John Lennon. And, of course, Freddie conquered the world with a charm offensive we'll sadly never see again.

Every now and then vocalists come up with emotional performances that are often not technically impressive but have knocked my socks off, like:

John Cale's version of Heartbreak Hotel

Marianne Faithfull singing Why'd Ya Do it and Sister Morphine

BB King singing anything http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sMWTqUuSh4

Melanie Safka in Candles In the Rain

Robert Plant in Since I've Been Loving You

Joe Cocker's cover of A Little Help from My Friends

Elton singing Candle In The Wind

Peter Gabriel singing Stagnation when he was with Genesis.

Janis Joplin in Ball and Chain

Drums are great but, deep down, great vocal performances are the ultimate for me. I'll probably get beaten up for saying this :)

Jeff, I think you should put all the people in those lists in order :p

Kate Pierson ... forgot about her, Ian. She's great!

Oh ok, Pollyanna. Could you do that for me, please? Thanks!

Ha Ha! Good one there, Polly.

Thanks Ian! So far all is peaceful ... I don't trust it ... it's too quiet :)

Oh ok, Pollyanna. Could you do that for me, please? Thanks!

Sure! My top ten of your list in my "best of" order, which of course has nothing to do with ability and everything to do with the memories those names brought up for me at the time:

Freddie Mercury
Paul McCartney
Paul Rogers
Sting
Robert Plant
Roger Daltrey
Ian Anderson
Jim Morrison
Todd Rundgren
Bon Scott

For tonal quality I'd go for old golden tonsils, Paul Rogers. The sexiest voice in rock!

Sure! My top ten of your list in my "best of" order, which of course has nothing to do with ability and everything to do with the memories those names brought up for me at the time:

Freddie Mercury
Paul McCartney
Paul Rogers
Sting
Robert Plant
Roger Daltrey
Ian Anderson
Jim Morrison
Todd Rundgren
Bon Scott

For tonal quality I'd go for old golden tonsils, Paul Rogers. The sexiest voice in rock!
I have too agree with you Pollyanna,Paul Rogers has kept his voice better than anybody else who has been around as long...............Great Singer for sure.

Bonzolead

Freddie Mercury
Paul McCartney
Paul Rogers
Sting
Robert Plant
Roger Daltrey
Ian Anderson
Jim Morrison
Todd Rundgren
Bon Scott

Oh, ok. Thanks Pollyanna. But I was thinking you were talking about my list of favorite FEMALE singers, not the Male singers.But...that works!

bat for lashes
lana del rey
ellie goulding

modern english stuff

When I think of favorite singers, the voice itself really has to grab me.
I always liked Elmore James voice. Also MJ's brother, Jermaine. His backup's in J5's "I Want You Back" and the songs he sings lead on just drip with funkiness.
Howlin Wolf has a heck of a large voice.
MJ
Whitney is pure bliss
Mariah is pure bliss
Carrie Underwood has a timbre that just hooks me in every time
Roger Daltry has the most classic rock voice ever, beating Plant.
Greg Allman for his slow Southern style
Paul McCartney
Little Richard always knocked me out

If I thought long enough this list would be way too long.

Nina Simone
Sarah Vaughn
Winehouse
Harry Nillsson
John Lennon
Al Green
Joe Cocker
Sinead O'Connor
Marvin Gaye
Freddie Mercury

Ben Harper: so,sad and dark and beautiful
Nina Simone: an icon
Dusty Springfield: great voice
Fiona Apple: young/grown up, hard to describe why I like her, she's so matter-of-fact
not so much into The Calling, but love the voice of Alex Band

I'm sure I forgot someone...

Back