Please help me out! Annoying Jerk at school about drumming!

Just got in trouble for fighting him.
I was playing the snare in band class, and I dropped a stick. He took it and threw it in the garbage. He then stated "You suck at drumming, all your equipment belongs there."
So now I'm going to detention for the next 2 months at school.

I was playing the snare in band class, and I dropped a stick. He took it and threw it in the garbage. He then stated "You suck at drumming, all your equipment belongs there."

You brought this upon yourself. If he said this then just ignore him he's obviously hiding something(probably his sexuality!)

Where was the band teacher while this was happening?

You got into a fight because he threw a stick away? That really did a lot for ya!

My band teacher was focusing on the horns during it.
ANYWAY. Yes, I think that throwing someones stick in the garbage and making fun of them is one of the most disrespectful things to a drummer.

I've been there my friend. All you can do is hold your head high I guess.

-Jonathan

My band teacher was focusing on the horns during it.
ANYWAY. Yes, I think that throwing someones stick in the garbage and making fun of them is one of the most disrespectful things to a drummer.

Every drummer should keep a spare pair of sticks handy and grow some thicker skin. You have your whole life ahead of ya and the crap won't end after school is done. Jail and dead doesn't sound like fun to me.

Come back to me in ten years mate, and tell me it still bothers you. I don't say this to diminish either his commentary or your age....I say it because, I can not recall a single issue I had when I was 15, that actually bothers me today at 38 years of age.

Toughen your hide, steel your resolve and ignore the ignorant, my friend. If you live to be 80 and this is the biggest issue you're ever confronted with, then you have truely lived a charmed life.

My best advice to you? Concentrate on YOU and YOUR life mate. The older you get, the more halfwits you're going to encounter. If you let them get to you.....well, they've got you beat haven't they?

^this +1000000.

This kid is doing this because he enjoys the reaction he gets from you. It's fun to him. When you stop reacting, it'll stop being so fun.

I had very similar experiences to you at that age, and I fully ally myself with PFOG's comments. 23 years later, I've made a successful career, am married to a beautiful woman, want for nothing, and play music semi-professionally with critically respected musicians. Most of the guys who bullied me in school are working dead-end jobs in the same small town we grew up in, and if they did play instruments, few of them do anymore. I actually ran into a couple of them at my 20th reunion, and it was interesting to see how adult life has humbled and mellowed them.

And seriously, if this guy gets you this worked up, it's not going to be easy for you at all trying to make it in the music industry. People there, by and large, are much less interested in your emotional wellbeing than they are in getting stuff done to standard, under budget. They can be prickly, abrasive, and plain mean. The trick is to roll your sleeves up, work hard, and let occasional personality issues go.

As for right now, I say ignore the guy, let him crash against your brick wall of reserve, and let him overstep to the point where it's him getting in trouble. Because right now, he's getting everything he wants in life from you.

^ This.

Who cares what he thinks? He'll be either picking up trash my the side of roadway or flipping burgers after graduation.

The guy clearly has mental health issues of one sort or another. The last thing YOU need to do is think his opinions have any bearing on your life. Remember, one day you'll be out of school, and you'll never hear from him again.

Good advice. The kid is just an obnoxious jerk, who may someday mature, or may just become an obnoxious jerk adult. Ignore him. There is nothing you can do to make anyone dislike him more, than he is already doing.

...too bad, detntion would have been a great place to practice sticking..sounds like this calls for a " youtube drum-off" I know I'll vote for you on this one.

Back