Spaun Drums?

I Have heard and played a spaun bich kit and I thought it was a great sounding /playing kit,I have an Eames birch kit that I love,and the spaun sounded closer to it than anything I have ever heard,I think the main commonality is that both builders have a great skill and passion for what they do,along with using/making the best quality materials they can.
From what I understand uses a keller shell as a canvas,machines great lugs and hardware,puts a great edge on it,and does a great job finishing the shell acoustically and cosmetically.
From what I have seen the spuan kits bring a little more on resale outside the U.S.but the money spent on a spaun new,or esp used is well spent,and if I was going to spend money on a boutique kit spaun would be right at the top of all of them.

I purchased a custom Spaun set in 2006. (Depth x Diameter) 6x13 Snare, 10x12 tom, 14x16 floor tom, 20x24 kick.
There's a picture on their site of it. It is an Acrylic/Maple hybrid with Trans-Green Exotic Burl veneer centers, clear acrylic edges and candy purple hardware. I spent $4100 and think it's woth every dime.
Not only does it sound better than any set I've ever played or heard, it is visually stunning and beautiful.

This is a kit I will never get rid of. I'll try to post pictures soon.

Hmm, a lot of praise here for the Spaun Recording Series (birch kits). I've heard some of their birch kits online, and they do sound good.

So, what would you rather have: a Yamaha Recording Custom or a Spaun Recording Series kit?

@ Robert,I have spent a bit of time on RC's and they are fine kits too,you couldn't go wrong with either,and while all three have that dark birch bite/attack I think the Spaun and Eames kits are a bit warmer,and maybe a little richer sounding,I think my Eames are a little more aggressive sounding than the other two.

I purchased a custom Spaun set in 2006. (Depth x Diameter) 6x13 Snare, 10x12 tom, 14x16 floor tom, 20x24 kick.
There's a picture on their site of it. It is an Acrylic/Maple hybrid with Trans-Green Exotic Burl veneer centers, clear acrylic edges and candy purple hardware. I spent $4100 and think it's woth every dime.
Not only does it sound better than any set I've ever played or heard, it is visually stunning and beautiful.

This is a kit I will never get rid of. I'll try to post pictures soon.

Unbelievable! Wow.. I've saw that one on the site, i think, when I was sitting there drooling over them all!!! Haha.. I love the Green and Purple, it looks amazing.

So far, I reckon a Custom Kit isn't at the top of my list atm, because I'm currently in the process of saving up for a Custom, Personalised Snare to be made, so that's gonna cost me either £600 or £800, depending on whether I want the Lug/Rim Claws to be actual Claws creeping over the rim or not haha. So maybe sometime in the future, I'll get a Second Hand 5/6pc Spaun Kit :)

Unbelievable! Wow.. I've saw that one on the site, i think, when I was sitting there drooling over them all!!! Haha.. I love the Green and Purple, it looks amazing.

So far, I reckon a Custom Kit isn't at the top of my list atm, because I'm currently in the process of saving up for a Custom, Personalised Snare to be made, so that's gonna cost me either £600 or £800, depending on whether I want the Lug/Rim Claws to be actual Claws creeping over the rim or not haha. So maybe sometime in the future, I'll get a Second Hand 5/6pc Spaun Kit :)

Well, to make you drool even more, I have just decided to add an 8x8 and 8x10 matching tom to the set. I am very excted.

Here's a crappy pic of the kit. For some reason I don't have very many pictures...

Attachments

• SPAUN.jpg
    SPAUN.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 7,095
Well, to make you drool even more, I have just decided to add an 8x8 and 8x10 matching tom to the set. I am very excted.

Ohmy.. I wish my £50 Unbranded Kit would spontaneously morph into a Custom Kit :( I was checking the Animal Custom Kits and the cheapest (I think it's LT Series) is around £700... But I'm wanting a 22x20 Bass Drum so it might be considerably more :(
I'm so jealous of all these amazing kits on here, I really wish I had the money, but I can't find a job :/

That kit does look nice, like... Although, I'm not too fond of your setup - looks like there's way too many cymbals on the left side of your kit haha, but 'each to their own' I suppose :)

Ohmy.. I wish my £50 Unbranded Kit would spontaneously morph into a Custom Kit :( I was checking the Animal Custom Kits and the cheapest (I think it's LT Series) is around £700... But I'm wanting a 22x20 Bass Drum so it might be considerably more :(
I'm so jealous of all these amazing kits on here, I really wish I had the money, but I can't find a job :/

That kit does look nice, like... Although, I'm not too fond of your setup - looks like there's way too many cymbals on the left side of your kit haha, but 'each to their own' I suppose :)
Hah! That was an "experimental" set up with the cymbals, I had a bunch of extra stuff and was seeing how much I could use. That picture is about 2 years old, and I actually don't have ANY of those cymbals anymore...though I wish I did........

Hah! That was an "experimental" set up with the cymbals, I had a bunch of extra stuff and was seeing how much I could use. That picture is about 2 years old, and I actually don't have ANY of those cymbals anymore...though I wish I did........

I wouldn't be able to bring myself to getting rid of all my cymbals haha, Especially my AAX lmao >.<

I'm on Spaun's site right now. Never in my life have I foamed at the mouth over SO many kits/finishes. There's at least 10 on there that I'd punch a nun to get.

The Inferno kits... *drool*

I'm on Spaun's site right now. Never in my life have I foamed at the mouth over SO many kits/finishes. There's at least 10 on there that I'd punch a nun to get.

The Inferno kits... *drool*

I told you!!! Haha.. Let's all have a drool-fest! x_x

Hi, I have a spaun kit and absolutely love it! It sounds like ww3 if you push it.

Yeah I've heard of Spaun before, they're another popular custom company that uses Keller shells along with Truth. I've never played them before so I can't comment on their quality. From what I hear they're decent, if not, better. But really, it's cheaper to just buy a shell pack according to size and have them refinished/modified to your liking. IMO

I remember reading the Modern Drummer feature article on the company, way back in the last 1990s (I think?) when the company first started getting some press. MD's review was way positive. I've never heard them in person but looks-wise they are pretty awesome (aside from the awful logo).

Yeah I've never heard a bad word said about them, quality shells and solid brass lugs. My kit is a 24x20, 12x9 and a 16x16 and it sounds stunning in any setting. To be honest i don't think I'll ever change!

Back