Bill Stewart

Drummer Karl

KARL MEMBER
So this is the official Bill Stewart Drummerworld Forums thread. *hehe*
Mhhh, though I wonder that there wasn`t one yet.

Just thought I would make up a thread about him because I really LOVE his work. Especially with Scofield and Swallow. He has such a beautiful touch, very musical, and very creative playing. I like to consider his playing as "tidied up".
It`s sooo pleasing and flows so well.

btw, thanks for the MD 97 vids with him, Peter Bernstein and Larry Goldings, some excellent swingin and groovin.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Bill_Stewart.html

So, let us know what you think.

Karl

Yeah Karl Bill Stewart is an awesome drummer. His "Snide Remarks" CD is one of my favorites.

Oh yeaaaaah! How is its name? I`m sure I would pick one up aswell.

PS: Do you think his Dry Complex Ride feels very stiff and hard when playing up-tempos on it?

Karl

Its called This Meets That.

I actually dont really have any issues with it when playing up tempos, but Ive heard a lot of mixed reviews. I personally really like the cymbal and the sound it gives me. It took some getting used to to be able to keep it from absolutely roaring when I played it quick, but now I dont really have an issue so much. Plus, its just such a unique sound, I really like it. But if your thinking of buying one, I would definitely try it out first and see how that specific cymbal feels and sounds.

Check out Scott Colley's "This Place" CD. Chris Potter on sax, Scott Colley on bass and Bill Stewart on drums. You can find it on iTunes. It's a great trio record and since there are only the three of them on the record, you can really hear the drums nice and clean.

Thanks everyone for CD tips and recommendations!

Its called This Meets That.

I actually dont really have any issues with it when playing up tempos, but Ive heard a lot of mixed reviews. I personally really like the cymbal and the sound it gives me. It took some getting used to to be able to keep it from absolutely roaring when I played it quick, but now I dont really have an issue so much. Plus, its just such a unique sound, I really like it. But if your thinking of buying one, I would definitely try it out first and see how that specific cymbal feels and sounds.

Well, I really like its sound actually. In general I prefer Ride cymbal with a more complex character, with a tah sound.
Additionally I like thin Ride cymbals, even if it`s the main ride. The thing about the feel was that Tony from cymbalsonly told me it kinda feels stiff and hard at faster tempi, and his statement seems plausible when listening to this baby.

So I hope I`ll get the opportunity to try one one day, to experience how it is like in person, not just in imagination...it definitly sounds like a very interessting and unique cymbal.

btw, overall I`m gonna buy an Agop SE 22" which has this character aswell as a soft woody stick definition.

Karl

Bill Stewart is my favourite drummer... I love the albums with Scofield, Bill Carrothers or many others (Maceo Parker to...)

His sound is very unique and he his the only one to have it... There isn^t two Bill Stewart on the planet...

And his polyrythm are uncredible....

pfiou... ... ...

Bill Stewart is my favourite drummer... I love the albums with Scofield, Bill Carrothers or many others (Maceo Parker to...)

His sound is very unique and he his the only one to have it... There isn^t two Bill Stewart on the planet...

And his polyrythm are uncredible....

pfiou... ... ...

I agree.
Great is that he plays that stuff soooo flowing, he lets it sound so fine and unique...great.
I also have to mention his 4-way independence and his hi-hat playing. It`s not always the strict 2 and 4, he uses in a very melodic and "clever" way...I love that.

PS: Is there a reason why he always uses this Hi-hat stand which is moving so much when playing with it? Or is it just the surface where it`s put on?

Karl

No it's just the surface ! I saw him in Montreux Jazz Festival and at Blue Note Biel and his hi-hat never moved...

But his playing always be creativ ....

what a drummer...

I used to be in absolute love with Bill Stewart...Now he's like the ex-girlfriend I know I shouldn't call late-night when I'm drunk: Great at the beginning but nothing really new and exciting and I just got bored widdit.

still a great player. (and she's still a great girl)

I used to be in absolute love with Bill Stewart...Now he's like the ex-girlfriend I know I shouldn't call late-night when I'm drunk: Great at the beginning but nothing really new and exciting and I just got bored widdit.

still a great player. (and she's still a great girl)

Okay...I think I understood. ;-)
Yes, this happens to me sometimes. First I`m totally in love with a drummer`s playing but after listening to it more than I should it gets kinda old.
Though isn`t that normal?
I mean, for example I listened to Blade every day lately...then I just gave Bill Stewart a try and love it...although I love Brian`s playing of course. Just needed something which seems fresh in that moment.
So I think that is pretty normal, the most important thing in this moment of listening is that you get inspired, isn`t it? =)

Of course I`m talking about music and particulary about drummers and not about girls!!!

Nevertheless...who knows which musician/style of Jazz will mainly play on my PC/stereo next month. haha...

But still, Bill Stewart is one amazing drummer...aswell as Blade, Jones and all those others.

Karl

But listen to him now ! Bill Stewart is really a great player ! His playing makes a really great evolution this last years...

Now he is really more "traditional" ....

Go see him live..... ;-)

"So I think that is pretty normal, the most important thing in this moment of listening is that you get inspired, isn`t it? =)

Of course I`m talking about music and particulary about drummers and not about girls!!!"

Sometimes I get inspired musically, when I'm looking at a girl. That's the inspiration for about 90% of my craft.

I get inspired by listening to great drumming - but man, when you can translate that into something in your life? Whew!

I finally was able to watch them the other day. I had to do this on my father`s PC because mine is a weak auxiliary computer which always crashes when I want to watch some bigger Quicktime videos. :-D

Thanks for sharing Etienne, I actually was surprised when I listened to Bill`s soli. Generally they are a lot more forte and rawer than others I`ve listened to so far.
I love his unique style and way of playing definitly, a big influence for me personally.

Though I`d like to hear him with a piano trio or something with piano in general.

Overall I`m simply thankful that Bernhard posted these, listening to him, Michael, Pat and Larry is always a pleasure!

Karl

Back