Keith Moon

• Thread starter tuckerduncan2002
  • Start date
Keith Moon was the reason I got into drums, about 33 years ago. Although my direction has changed considerably, I still love his playing.

"Slip Kid", "Pure and Easy", "Young Man Blues", "Amazing Journey" and "the Real Me" are a few of my favorites

Some fun facts:

He used to promote the myth that he was self taught. Not true! He took lessons for about 8 months with Carlo Little, the top rock drummer in London of his day. He had trouble convincing him to give lessons and didn't have much money. So he came up with a scheme with a friend (Gerry Evans) to take a lesson and pay his fee, then go to his friend's house and teach him what he learned for 1/2 price! -paraphrased from the biography Dear Boy:The Life of Keith Moon, by Tony Fletcher

When Philly Joe Jones was in London around 1968, he opened a studio to give lessons. Keith walked in one day, hoping to learn from one of his idols. He gave Philly Joe the £2.65 who then asked him to play something in order to assess where he was at. Keith did "his thing" on the drums, and then Philly Joe asked, "Do you play with a band?" Keith replied that he did and then Philly Joe asked how much he made. Keith said something like "I dunno, £1,000 a week". At which point Philly Joe shook his head, handed him back his £2.65 and said, "I could only harm you."

During a blind album test, Elvin Jones was played a Who album. His response "the man is a drummer."

Tony Williams was quoted as saying about Keith, "He's beautiful, he's so free." In other interviews he said he "likes (rock) drummers like Keith Moon."

He sat in on a Billy Cobham clinic once and apparently sat in on Billy's drums. After sometime, Billy said, I don't know what you're doing, but keep on doing it!"

Alex Duthart, the great pipe band drummer was at an event for Premier and noticed in one of the rooms this beautiful kit was set up. (I've only heard his legendary playing in pipe bands, but he was supposed to be a fabulous set player; I don't know if there are any recordings). Anyway, it was Keith's kit and he asked a roadie if he could play it. "No, you're all right"- basically, the brush off. But Alex couldn't get it out of his mind. So he persisted. Eventually they let him. Alex did his thing, at which point Keith, who was listening from the wings, finished his drink, got up and left. The roadie came over and asked his name. Alex told him but asked why. He said, "He'll (Keith) want to know in the morning."

-John

To reply to the original thread about Keith Moon. Anyone who understands what makes an individual great, should abandon all those socially conditioned soundbytes that float around about Keith Moon.

All those little buzz word phrases about Keith being a "sloppy" drummer or him always "overplaying" are observations by people who have no appreciation or real undertanding for what made him a brilliant drummer different from the others.

The plaque errected after his death in the Golders Green Crematorium which reads Keith Moon: Who drummer 1946-1978 "There is no substitute." This sums up Keith Moon's contribution to drumming perfectly, there simply is no drummer like him, nor will there be again. Listen to his immense drumming on "Won't get fooled again." I challenge any drummer out there to play those drum parts as he did on that recording. Listen to it very carefully and you will find, you won't be able to do it. Keith is simply on a different level all together, listen to where he hits the cymbals, where he fills in, his interpretation of the track. It is extraordinary actually.

So here's the lesson forget all your schools of drumming, forget all those analytical drum buffs who tell you, don't overplay (actually there is no such thing as overplaying, it was Keith style and no one did it before him or like him.) Nor listen to those academics who have metronomes stuck in their brains, hes not sloppy, he's understands drums differently from you, and thats why he's Keith Moon and changed the world of drums forever. And most of all thats why he will be remembered as one of the greatest most influencial drummers that ever lived, and thats why those drum critics will be forgotten 10 mins after their dead.....Keith Moon lives on.....God bless him, is is blindingly brilliant, beyond and above those who think they understood him....Keith Moon I can see a different drummer a one in a million who shone and gave us all something....indeed there is no substitute....

Happy Birthday Moonie,
You would've. been 65 today.

Bonzolead

Attachments

• Keith Moon.jpg
    Keith Moon.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 2,004
Good call...Good reminder! totally free playing style. "The Real Me"

Happy Moon....................................

Attachments

• Keith+Moon.jpg
    Keith+Moon.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,455
So here's the lesson forget all your schools of drumming, forget all those analytical drum buffs who tell you, don't overplay (actually there is no such thing as overplaying, it was Keith style and no one did it before him or like him.) Nor listen to those academics who have metronomes stuck in their brains, hes not sloppy, he's understands drums differently from you, and thats why he's Keith Moon and changed the world of drums forever. And most of all thats why he will be remembered as one of the greatest most influencial drummers that ever lived, and thats why those drum critics will be forgotten 10 mins after their dead.....Keith Moon lives on.....God bless him, is is blindingly brilliant, beyond and above those who think they understood him....Keith Moon I can see a different drummer a one in a million who shone and gave us all something....indeed there is no substitute....

You just nailed this thread, my friend, my thoughts exactly!!
all the other rock drummers Today (even a 10 year old) can play like Neil Peart, Bonzo or any other famous drummer in rock history but no Keith Moon!!

I just love non technical drumming.

You just nailed this thread, my friend, my thoughts exactly!!
all the other rock drummers Today (even a 10 year old) can play like Neil Peart, Bonzo or any other famous drummer in rock history but no Keith Moon!!

I just love non technical drumming.
Actually I think the 10 year old would look more like Moon with all the flailing of arms, and not really knowing what he is going to do next. You don't need to knock down the other drummers to prop up your fav. You like him, and that is great.

Actually I think the 10 year old would look more like Moon with all the flailing of arms, and not really knowing what he is going to do next. You don't need to knock down the other drummers to prop up your fav. You like him, and that is great.

So, it's ok for you to insult Moon but the minute anyone touches your Golden Goose you get the pitchfork out?

So, it's ok for you to insult Moon but the minute anyone touches your Golden Goose you get the pitchfork out?
Still fishing. You have a short memory. Bernard asked you and I to stay away from each others stuff. Why so jealous anyways. What is the matter. You need a hug. You really need to get over this. Really. This place is for big people. Big people get over things. :)

No, I've got the same username on here as on YouTube. I don't need a hug; I get plenty of those.

There's no jealousy here, I'm just pointing out a clear and obvious hypocrisy and I'm quite big enough.

There is a guy on youtube that is 24 from the United Kingdom that talks just like you. I thought for sure it was you. Same friendly personality. :)

not really knowing what he is going to do next is the key, the unpredictable drumming , which is extremely rare these days! what i meant that there is no Keith Moon since his death! however there are so many Bonhams in You Tube. nobody is knocking anyone down, :)

Ummm....

Time to do some research!
Mike Mangini:
Current WFD Records:
Matched Grip Singles - 1,247,
Bare Hands Singles - 1,138,
Traditional Grip Singles - 1,126,
Endurance 13,222 Feet Singles in 15 Minutes
15 minutes = 900 seconds
13,222 / 900 = 14.69 beats/second! SMOKIN'

Of course John Bonham isn't around to compete against Mr. Mangini but if you've ever seen Mangini perform, you'd know just how blazing fast he is!

Bonham's been gone for 31 years why are you comparing him to a modern drummer?

Actually I think the 10 year old would look more like Moon with all the flailing of arms, and not really knowing what he is going to do next.

I think this pretty well sums up what people love about Moonie. He played garage style with all its power, spontaneity, freedom and fire ... but he perfected it like no one else.

Neil Peart was a big fan. That's doesn't mean you have to be, of course. Just saying ...

Back