replacing my e-kit. what would you recommend?...

rotherdrummer

i currently have a yamaha dtxplorer at home for practicing and i would like to upgrade to a better kit. i've always fancied a roland and i've been looking at the td9-kx2 model because i like the hi-hat on a stand and mesh heads (including kick). as this kit is only for practicing my budget is £1500 (absolute max) and my priorities are as follows:
- quiet heads (i'm trying to eliminate the annoying sound you get from hitting the rubber pads on a dtxplorer)
- hi-hat mounted on a real stand (i know you have to supply the stand separate)
- heads that feel as realistic as possible
- the option to easily record i.e. via usb or sd card, etc
- a nice play along/teaching feature would be a bonus but not a necessity

my main priority is trying to cut down on the "thud" of the pads. the td9-kx2 seems to tick all the boxes, but are there any better alternatives out there?

thanks

Used TD12 would be the way to go. Better than the 9 IMHO.

Bought mine for £1500 but some sell for £1200. Great kit has mesh heads, uses a VH-11 hihat, which is on a separate stand, you can record direct into the module or via audio outputs to a laptop. The kits are well built and so used is a viable proposition. I also download new kits from www.vexpressionsltd.com.

Where do you live? You can come and try mine if you like.

Davo

Used TD12, or TD20 would be the best way to go .

Ah I see you are from Yorkshire - not too close to me. But if you ever spend time in London we could catch up.

Davo

thank you both for the advice (yeah, unfortunately i'm up in yorkshire!)

i'm happy to go down the used route, but as i'm a v-drum novice could someone briefly explain the advantages of a used td-12 or td-20 over a new td-9kx2? bearing in mind my requirements are...
- quiet heads (i'm trying to eliminate the annoying sound you get from hitting the rubber pads on a dtxplorer)
- hi-hat mounted on a real stand (i know you have to supply the stand separate)
- heads that feel as realistic as possible
- the option to easily record i.e. via usb or sd card, etc
- a nice play along/teaching feature would be a bonus but not a necessity

thanks

Fair point but the modules are better, the drums are larger, the frame is better and so you get a much more authentic drumming experience, which helps long term.

You should try them both if you can. This should help you decide.

Cheers
Davo

cheers davo

i also read something about "interval control" on the td-12 and td-20's??? (which i don't think is on the td-9kx2)

Back