Let's see your Gretsch kits (saved the best for last!)

This is my assembled Gretsch mini kit.

16 Catalina Maple Tom/bass convert
10 Renown Maple tom
12 Renown Maple for floor tom
14 x 4 Piccolo Keller snare
13 inch Masterwork Jazz series Hats
18 inch Zildjian crash/ride

Attachments

• CIMG0537.JPG
    CIMG0537.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 6,662
  • CIMG0534.JPG
    CIMG0534.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 6,618
  • CIMG0535.JPG
    CIMG0535.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 6,556
  • CIMG0536.JPG
    CIMG0536.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 6,471
Last edited:
OK fellow Gretsch owners, you've seen the rest now its time to show the best. Post your Gretsch kits here, and show them what makes that Great Gretsch Sound.

My Gretsch Renown Maple in Cherry Burst
22 x 18
8 x 7 rack
10 x 8 rack
12 x 10 rack
14 x 14 floor
14 x 7 Vaughcraft Steambent Snare
22 inch Masterwork Jazz series Ride
16, 17 Masterwork Jazz Series Crash
Pearl Icon 501 Rack
18 inch Sabian HHX Evolution Crash
14 inch Masterwork Jazz Series Hats
8, 10, 12 Wuhan Splashes
Pearl Icon 501 Rack

That is one deadly Gretsch kit you have there!
Also - I like your Eagle Marching drum in your Avitar. That is an Eagle drum is it not?

That drum in my avatar is just a picture I found online. Just liked the nostalgia of the piece.

That drum in my avatar is just a picture I found online. Just liked the nostalgia of the piece.

When I was looking for some info on my new 1949 Gretsch Parade drum I found an interesting add for a drum just like the one in your Avitar. William F. Ludwig III was selling a completely restored Eagle drum made during the Civil War. The price......$18,000usd ! There was a nice long history letter to accompany the drum. It was a beauty! It's a good thing I'm not rich instead of so good looking - haha - I'd be buying drums left and right. Not to be greedy...........but I just like drums - all kinds. I think the history of some of them is so intersting.

While it's not exactly the best - it is very special to me.

My Gretsch Birthyear drum all cleaned up. I didn't restore it because I didn't want to fool with the badge.

It sounds kind of like a "Gong" drum with the snares off. I can't quite get it to sound good with the snares on. Probably a combination of old snares, old wood rims, the single tension tuning and a number of other small adjustments here and there. I'm very happy with it though and it doesn't look too bad..................

Attachments

• GR49 MSEP5.jpg
    GR49 MSEP5.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 6,187
Ma%20Gretsch%20(5).JPG

While it's not exactly the best - it is very special to me.

My Gretsch Birthyear drum all cleaned up. I didn't restore it because I didn't want to fool with the badge.

It sounds kind of like a "Gong" drum with the snares off. I can't quite get it to sound good with the snares on. Probably a combination of old snares, old wood rims, the single tension tuning and a number of other small adjustments here and there. I'm very happy with it though and it doesn't look too bad..................

Kona that looks great. Great collectors piece. I wouldn't touch the finish. It has some shine...just keep it dusted and keep smiling.

Alright, I got a couple new additions since the last time I posted pics. And since I'm a big nerd and like to take photos of my kit I'm going to repost.

IMG_1.jpg

-
IMG_2.jpg

-
IMG_3.jpg

-
IMG_4.jpg

Drums:
Gretsch Catalina Club Mod

Cymbals:
Paiste Twenty 14" hihats
Paiste Twenty 16" crash *new*
Paiste Traditional Medium Heavy 20" ride
Wuhan 18" *new*

Hardware:
Mix of DW, Tama, Premier, Yamaha, SP

I'm about one cymbal away from being more complete than ever. That would be an 18" or 19" crash of some sort. Haven't decided which one yet.

Cool the Gretsch thread!

Below is my baby!

BD: 20"
Rack Toms: 8",10",12",15"
Floor toms: 16",18"

The Replica of Phil Collins custom concert toms black Gretsch! It looks awesome and sounds even better...just like Phil's, barkin toms and all...

As you can see I am mainly right handed, so set up the kit on right side. I am training myself to be able to play either left or right handed though.

These pics were quicly taken rehearsal studio, but I'll take new pics soon with more detail. In the meantime, enjoy!

I also have more cymbals, but did not set them all up that day.

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

Phildas :)

Last edited:
I just bought a Renown with the Autumn Burst finish. I am so excited - I've heard such phenomenal things about the Renowns and Gretsch in general & I'm psyched to finally have one - I'll post some pics as soon as I figure out how to add 'em...

Very nice Phildas, we need some better photos though! (also see my final comment below!)

Greenie, I have the same kit / colour combo as you - It's awsome!
Looking forward to seeing you set up.

You know, I don't think I ever posted my two Gretsch kits in here?

The Renown Maple Autumn Burst 'a' kit

GC_GR_AB_006.jpg

GC_GR_AB_009.jpg

The Catalina Ash Deep Red 'e' kit (although the set up now mirrors the Renown)

G_Gretsch037.jpg

G_Gretsch036.jpg

Phildas may spot something else of great interest to him in the last photo....

Very nice Phildas, we need some better photos though! (also see my final comment below!)

]

Phildas may spot something else of great interest to him in the last photo....

Nice gear Cuban!

And... Genesis flight case! Where did u get that? Wickeed!

:)

I will post better pics when I taken them

Phildas

Nice gear Cuban!

And... Genesis flight case! Where did u get that? Wickeed!

:)

I will post better pics when I taken them

Phildas
Thanks!
Well spotted - I have a few of their flight cases.

I toured with Genesis in the early 80's and the cases bring back many happy memories!

Looking forward to your photos.

Cuban, were you a roadie/tech?

Hey you don't fancy selling me one of these G flight cases? The smallest, puniest one you have? You would make a fellow drummer and Genesis devotee immensly happy! :D

-one lives in hope...

Phildas

Last edited:
Cuban, were you a roadie/tech?

Hey you don't fancy selling me one of these G flight cases? The smallest, puniest one you have? You would make a fellow drummer and Genesis devotee immensly happy! :D

-one lives in hope...

Phildas
I helped the crew out back then and became good friends with PC for a while (sadly lost contact though.)

I still have friends on the G crew, but was always away during the 2007 tour rehearsals and had to bow out of the final night in LA as my work in San Francisco made it difficult to get down there, so I only saw London.

I did sell one of my 4 cases a few years ago (one of Daryl's Genesis cases) but sorry to tell you that I'll not be selling these three cases.

I did sell one of my 4 cases a few years ago (one of Daryl's Genesis cases) but sorry to tell you that I'll not be selling these three cases.

hoo why noot? Sob-heart broken....

Thanks for your kind comments on the other thread though! Is there IT videos on the net?Never seen any. I did not have the PC kit back then sadly...

Best to you Cuban :)

Phildas

hoo why noot? Sob-heart broken....

Thanks for your kind comments on the other thread though! Is there IT videos on the net?Never seen any. I did not have the PC kit back then sadly...

Best to you Cuban :)

Phildas
Sorry!

The videos were of you doing the Phil's Drum Duet part (at home?) when you first got the PC kit.

Very envious of your kit. My last 'a' kit before I quit in 1985 was based on PC's kit and was a Premier made to order, with a 14x8 Gretsch Snare (still have the snare)

Keep in touch!

Back