What is the best of the cheaper range of amps for electronic drums?

Jimmy900

Hi there

I was just wondering if anybody could tell me what the best type of amp at the lower end of scale is for electronic drums? Someone told me that a "Roland Cube" would be my best bet. I'm not so sure since they have separate amps for the guitar and others for the bass with these type of amps. Maybe it will cost a bit extra than that to get an amp that can handle the electronic drums?

Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

You're in need of a full-range amplifier. So any amp designed for keyboards will be ok. The Roland KC line of amps are suited best for eDrums, and those range in price from $300 to $800 depending on how big you go. I was a big fan of the Roland KC-550 for a long time.

But, there are those cheap, Guitar Center specials for little 4-channel PA systems for $200 (or so) that include a powered mixer brain and a couple of speakers with 10" woofers and horns and those aren't bad, either. But if you do any serious gigging, you'll need much better to keep up with the band and the audience.

Thanks Bo, I'll check those range of amps out.

I don't intend to gig with any of these amps. It's just for home use / practicing etc.

You're welcome! Anything full-range would do then, just so you don't have to be relegated to headphones all the time. But Behringer and Peavey also make keyboard amps. I would recommend buying from a Guitar Center or Sam Ash then you can take it home and test it out, and if it doesn't work out, you can return it for something else in 30 days!

When I dabbled in electronic drums in the mid 1990s, I used one of those small keyboard amps. I hated it. I found the sound to be extremely thin, especially my bass drum. It wasn't a lack of power either. I think the speakers were too small. I ended up picking up a dual-channel rack-mounted amp and two 15" cabinets. One speaker was more than enough though. I bet you could find an amp/speaker combo on ebay/craigslist for cheap.

Back