What got you started playing drums?

Re: The Moment You Decided to become a Drummer was ... ?

In the summer of 1996, a family friend let me borrow his Tama Inperialstar kit, which was the first real set I ever played on. Also, I had started to rummage thru my dad's old vinyl records and found two in particular that still insipre me today: Santana's Abraxas and Led Zeppelin II. As soon as I heard John Bonham's playing, I wanted to follow in his gigantic footsteps! 12 years later. . .I'm still playing and I don't see any reason to stop!

When I was 8 and got Iron Maiden's Piece of Mind..... I needed to play along with the beats..thanks Nicko!

I'm sure we all have a defining moment that sealed the deal in our want/need to become a drummer .... what's yours?
I have been involved with music of one form or another my whole life (in my pre-teens I sang in choir and a barbershop chorus, at age 7 I got my first guitar and took piano lessons - I sang and played guitar in a few bands throughout high school and college, etc) - my defining moment of the drums was when I got RockBand as a Christmas gift and I loved (and hated) the drums. I sucked and the more I played, the better I got.
At that point I decided that I wanted to learn to actually play drums so I started taking lessons, bought an ekit and started actually practicing instead of just sitting around playing a video game.

I was 10 years old, in elementary school. The junior high band came to our school to recruit for thier band for the next year. My older brother played alto sax in that band, so I was somewhat familiar with the school band program. I had tried French Horn, from my older brother's friend letting me borrow it, but I really sounded bad. I had tried guitar, but didn't really get it. When I saw the junior high jazz band peform, I was in awe. They had this drummer playing a black diamond pearl Slingerland drum set who was amazing. He went all over the kit. And his solos were increadible. Mind you I was only 10 at the time and this drummer was 13 or 14, but he sounded just increadible. I went home that night and announced I wanted "to play the drums like that cool drummer I saw at school today!"

Family discussions were held, phone calls were made, and when I got into 6th grade band a few months later, I was a drummer. And my parents enrolled me in drum lessons. When I became 1st chair a few months later, I begged my parents for a drum set. That Christmas I was 11 and got a blue sparkle drum set. And I've been a drummer ever since. Sometimes playing, sometimes not playing, but ALWAYS listening and trying to learn.

when i heard my heart beat

When i heard the song "I Stand Alone" by Godsmack. My first reaction was "damn, i need to be able to do that." At the time i was in elementary school in the school orchestra, playing percussion, but never bothered with the set, after i heard that song, i knew i wanted to become a drummer. Now, I believe I've reached that level and have begun to move on to bigger and better things in the world of not only drumming and rhythm but with melody and harmony.

I love music...

april 22nd 2006 i was doing a recording the band was not happy with my playing and i knew that if i was to be a great drummer i would have to quit my job at In-N-Out and practice at least 6 hours a day.

i havent missed a day since even when i went to hawaii for a week i braught a kick pedal kickdrum and snare to practice in my hotel room

watching buddy rich solo on tv. i thought what he was doing was amazing...almost impossible. i thought it was magic...couldn't believe a human being could do that with his mind and his body. that's the moment i go back to...

Do I have to admit this??

It was when I first got into Def Leppard (*cringe*) and I fell in love with Rick Allen's playing.

Does anyone decide to be a drummer?

I think you already are, you just don't know it.

I think its more like 'when did you discover that you were a drummer' ? My discovery was like almost everyone else's. Pots, pans, spoons, play-alongs with the radio...etc.

I saw a set of drums in a music store window and I knew I could play them without every having held a drumstick.
I lied to my school band when they were looking for a drummer and told them " Yeah, I play" .

My 1st rehearsal with my school band was the first time I'd ever touched a drum set. It was like knowing you could swim before jumping into a pool.

Them
: "You know Evil Ways by Santana"?

Me: "Sure".

Them: "Lets go, 1-2-3-4-........."

That was it.

Does anyone decide to be a drummer?

I think you already are, you just don't know it.

I think its more like 'when did you discover that you were a drummer' ? My discovery was like almost everyone else's. Pots, pans, spoons, play-alongs with the radio...etc.

I saw a set of drums in a music store window and I knew I could play them without every having held a drumstick.
I lied to my school band when they were looking for a drummer and told them " Yeah, I play" .

My 1st rehearsal with my school band was the first time I'd ever touched a drum set. It was like knowing you could swim before jumping into a pool.

Them
: "You know Evil Ways by Santana"?

Me: "Sure".

Them: "Lets go, 1-2-3-4-........."

That was it.

yes but alot of kids dont have motivation to practice especially at that age most peoples prioritys are up in the air! most players realize what is up in their teens

I was always fascinated with either the drums or the bass guitar when I was younger. I wanted to learn to play either one, or better yet both.

But anyway, I was homeschooled for about a year, and I started gettin really bored during the year. My brother had a small electronic pad with two wired, less then a foot long, pedals that he messed around with when he was like...13, but around that time he was now 17. So I went up in my storage room, and saw them and was determined to get the basic groove down. I sat there practicing for atleast 30 minutes trying to get it(I'm stubborn, so I never quit till I have it). Then I eventually got it, feeling like I had made a HUGE accomplishment (I was 12-13 then). From that point I was hooked on it. I self-taught myself mostly, till I kept begging my parents to buy me a real set, or just anything better then the piece of junk I had. Then I started taking lessons. And now I play for my youth group at church, and sometimes the big service they have in the auditorium. I love it, and I can't stop =]

(I tried to make it not so long)

My mom said that I'd rather bang on pots and pans rather than play with toys as a toddler so I think it is just in my blood. I got my first kit at 15 and was instantly addicted.I'm 33 now and still in love with it. I can't stop collecting stuff either. I have 3 kits, 4 snares, 2 sets of bongos, a set of roto-toms, 2 double pedals, 4 cowbells, 5 crashes, 2 splashes, 2 sets of hats(14" and 15"), a ride, a china(all Zildjian, most vintage), wood block, shaker, 2 guitars, 2 basses, 2 amps, 2 keyboards, 1 home studio.
All of these things can be heard at www.reverbnation.com/dirtbeggers

I liked music and wanted to play, but I was to shy to stand out in front ,so I picked the drums to hide behind.

I always found tapping on things fun and always liked music. Mum gave me a pair of bongos for Christmas and I used plastic Meccano "sticks" and a tall ashtray with a metal top as a cymbal to play along with records.

A boy at school was into drumming and one time I went over to his place and he gave me a go on his kit. He showed me how to play a basic frug beat and I picked it up almost immediately.

I've been playing that same %$#@! beat every since :)

I began playing drums when I was 5. Two of my uncles were national country artists, and I used to go watch them play all of the time. My mother is also a guitar player, so I was always surrounded by music. I used to want to listen to cassette tapes because I could recognize the cover of it, before I could even read (so my mother says).

My cousin played in my uncle's country band, and needed a good home for his Pearl kit that he was no longer playing. He gave it to me when I was 5 as a Christmas gift, and I've been playing ever since.

I have had the opportunity to play all over the country with many amazing musicians, and am about to expand my horizons completely starting in January. I can't wait for the tour!

Music- Judas Priest, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold....
Drummer- I don't remember the name right now :/
Person- A very close friend that we called Uncle Lucas (yes like family adams :p)
Style- ... power metal, metal, alternative, punk...
Inspirations- more than making my neightbors mad with noise?? just the sound of the drums makes me feel in another place...

Back