Pain in the lower back

resohead,
are you familiar with basic stretching exercises? You should really do some stretching or at least do some relaxation stuff in-between when sitting for a long time. Take care of yourself!!

Arky, I used to do yoga but have not been doing anything at all lately. I'll take your advise.

I saw two chiropractors and all I could think was to ask if they were actually out of high school yet. I'm really getting old.

So, they did some physical testing(hold your arm straight out, now push up on my hand, etc)
None of that hurt my back.

They said my muscles on the left side of my back were extremely tight. They took xrays, 10 minutes of electro-stim and a minor adjustment. The doc said if he did a full adjustment with my muscles like that, that I would have hated his guts this weekend.

I go back Tue or Wed for xray results and adjustment. Hopefully it won't get too complicated.

Henri, good OP and good thread. One of the big things is strengthening supporting muscles, mostly the abs.

Reso, I agree about trying to get the hats more close in forward. At times I'm like the bloody leaning tower of Pisa as I hover over the hats, and I've been trying to straighten up.

I didn't have much to say on this thread on the first go around. I've never really had a back problem even though all the rest of the guys in my family have.

I just started jamming with these guys the past few weeks and one of the guys has a drumset already there. It's a 5-piece Tama set-up on a rack. Thing is, I get shoulder pain from playing the way I set my drums up, but with this rack I haven't experienced any discomfort whatsoever after playing. So....yeah....I need to make some adjustments for my shoulder's sake. Now that I think about it, I had a nasty cramp last night in my big toe that woke me out of a deep sleep. I ran to the bathroom and soaked it under hot water from the tub's faucet. I guess I should have ate a banana afterward. Gotta make that 7-11 stop and get a banana on the way home next time.

More often than not my posture is terrible...
...I don't sit up straight on the drums and turn to the left. My lower back on the left side now makes playing uncomfortable....

Self awarness upon position and posture at the instrument (or in every day's life) is important, as long as you're aware of it and take remedial action. :)

At times I'm like the bloody leaning tower of Pisa as I hover over the hats, and I've been trying to straighten up.

Yep Polly, no good, and that's another thing us multi tasking drummer have to thing about when playing, good postures. :)

I've read somewhere you had knee troubles, is it any better now?

Thing is, I get shoulder pain from playing the way I set my drums up, but with this rack I haven't experienced any discomfort whatsoever after playing. So....yeah....I need to make some adjustments for my shoulder's sake...

Bon, I've read an article about positioning our percussive elements within the kit, they said that if you have to raise you shoulder in order to play an instrument on the kit it will lead to shoulder discomfort and eventually pain, placement is the key, eliminate all sources of tension and discomfort in the kit :)

...plus i use a Roc and Soc stool with back rest, which i have found to be the best thing that i have bought that helps my back.

The throne is probaly the most important piece of hardware accessory on a drumkit, it has to support the heavier piece of the drumset, the drummer, I'm amazed to find drumkit that has extremely expensive cymbal stands and a wobbly and unstable throne, any so-so cymbal stands will do the work, a bad stool will only lead to trouble :)

Yep Polly, no good, and that's another thing us multi tasking drummer have to thing about when playing, good postures. :)

I've read somewhere you had knee troubles, is it any better now?

Very observant, Henri. Yep, knee is good now. Just slowly chipping away at my lame aspects - no rush, since I only get to play once a week for a few hours (at this stage of my life).

Great advice. Thanks. I am having lower back pain and I think it has to do with my posture.. I will try your remedy.

Great advice. Thanks. I am having lower back pain and I think it has to do with my posture.. I will try your remedy.

Thank you, I'm glad I was of some help for you, sorry to hear about your lower back pain, I know how you're feeling and I hope that good posture, suitable ergonomics and positioning the elements of your kit will stop or at least minimise your pain, good luck.

Due to continuously sitting in the same posture there may be pain in the lower back. Try some back exercises or take some pain relievers. I think it will cure.

Best post I've seen in quite awhile. You have my sympathies for your pain, but your experience is beneficial to others. I for one am guilty of the "curling" and quite honestly, too much torso movement to begin with. This post will stay with me.

Back