New Ludwigs inside

A

audiotech

I brought these home about a week before Christmas and was debating whether to shot pictures before or after I receive my additional drums, well here's the before shots. I'm still waiting on the 14" x 5" snare, 16" x 16" floor tom and either a 10" x 7" or a 13" x 9" rack tom.

The drums that are pictured are the Ludwig Classic Maple series in "white marine pearl" with a 20" x 16" bass drum. a 14" x 14" floor tom, and a 12" x 8" rack tom. The snare drum that I;'m using is a Tama 14" x 5 1/2" maple Artwood custom snare. The cymbals are Sabian Hand Hammered with 14" Dark hats, a 21" Vintage ride, a 16" Dark crash, an 18" Dark crash and this years Christmas present from Wanda, a 10" HH Duo splash. Sorry that there is a lot of stands and clutter in the pictures, but you can get the idea.

One of the main reasons that I bought these was basically sentimental in nature. My dad had a set of Ludwigs in this finish that he bought in Philadelphia in the late 1940s. He taught me how to play on that kit when I was 8. For many years I've been saying that I wanted a Ludwig set of drums in white marine pearl, now I have them, although the sizes of my kit are a bit smaller than my dads. I opted not to buy a 28" x 14" bass drum, lol.

DSC_0021-4.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0078-2.jpg

DSC_0115-2.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Dennis

Beautiful, Dennis! Did you custom order or bought it like it was?
Love the finish. But the 28" kick would be a killer, pity you didn't choose that. Haha! ;)

The only thing I don't lika about their drums is the tom mount on the bass. The only maker that does that right is Yamaha.

I've been waiting for this one!

Looks fabulous mate. Very nice....love the WMP. Happy with the sound? Bring back any of those boyhood memories?

And fwiw, get the 13x9. That way you'll have a bit of beef when you decide to add on that 28" kick!! :)

Beautiful, Dennis! Did you custom order or bought it like it was?
Love the finish. But the 28" kick would be a killer, pity you didn't choose that. Haha! ;)

The only thing I don't lika about their drums is the tom mount on the bass. The only maker that does that right is Yamaha.

Thanks Cameo. I only buy my kits off the showroom floor where I can thoroughly check them out, additional drums I'll just order and hope everything is correct from the factory.

I really don't mind bass drum mounts, I would have bought the kit with or without the mounted toms. My 1965 vintage kit made by Pearl had both the 12" x 8" and a 13" x 9" rack toms mounted off the 20" bass drum and two of my Yamaha rack toms is also bass drum mounted. If, in the future, I want to change to stand mounts, the rack toms already have the "vibraband suspension mounts", I'll only need the stand adapters. It's undoubtedly the quickest way to set-up the drums with the bass drum mount and the associated memory locks. Sonically, I couldn't hear a difference with the tom and mount on or off the bass drum.

Dennis

Very nice buddy. Congratulations!

Thanks Sticks. It just took a while until I could personally find the right sizes and finish. I put a bug in one of the salesmans ear a couple of months ago saying that if they would get this set in their showroom, I would probably buy it. They got this kit and another in "new sky blue pearl" in the same sizes and configuration.

Dennis

I've been waiting for this one!

Looks fabulous mate. Very nice....love the WMP. Happy with the sound? Bring back any of those boyhood memories?

And fwiw, get the 13x9. That way you'll have a bit of beef when you decide to add on that 28" kick!! :)

I've been waiting on this set of drums a lot longer than you have, lol.

The "white marine pearl" finish looks very clean and classy and whatever the color stage lights hit it, it turns into that shade. I'm happy with its sound, but I have to get other heads on the drums for the kit to really come alive and take on the sound that's really in my mind, if that makes any sense.

Every time I see a set of Ludwig drums in white marine pearl it brings back multitudes of memories. If it comes down to it, I'll probably get the 13" x 9" rack tom, I'll also need the double bass drum mount to make everything work. This is why I stated this as being a "modular" kit in one of my threads, because It's very easy to build and add if need be. I'm happy that I got it. My only regret is that my dad is no longer around to enjoy some of my equipment.

Thanks Pocket.

Dennis

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I'll take the china suggestion under advisement, but it will have to come after the "gong" drum. :)

Dennis

but it will have to come after the "gong" drum. :)

But even the gong has gotta take a back seat to the 28" kick, no? Come on Dennis...what price do you put on nostalgia? You can't buy memories mate....but you can buy a massive bass drum. Only a 28" kick is gonna replicate the old man's, surely? :)

Beauty kit, man! Those are so, so close to my own. Those look like keystone brackets, elite bass drum spurs and mini-classic lugs. I have the same except for the larger classic lugs. I use the same rim mount on my rack toms. I got the classic script bass drum reso head, but mine doesn't have the "usa" under the lettering like yours.

There was some kind of appeal the WMP finish had for me, too, even though I never liked it much before I bought my set. Something about the new take on something vintage appealed to my aesthetic sense, I guess. Anyway, I'm thrilled and still look at the drums every single day and feel happy. And I'm even happier when I play 'em!

Congratulations and I wish you a lot of enjoyment with your new set!

Beauty kit, man! Those are so, so close to my own. Those look like keystone brackets, elite bass drum spurs and mini-classic lugs. I have the same except for the larger classic lugs. I use the same rim mount on my rack toms. I got the classic script bass drum reso head, but mine doesn't have the "us" under the lettering like yours.

There was some kind of appeal the WMP finish had for me, too, even though I never liked it much before I bought my set. Something about the new take on something vintage appealed to my aesthetic sense, I guess. Anyway, I'm thrilled and still look at the drums every single day and feel happy. And I'm even happier when I play 'em!

Congratulations and I wish you a lot of enjoyment with your new set!

Thanks 8Mile. You're right about the hardware. I was very happy that these drum came with the mini classic lugs mainly because of the smaller sizes of the drums. If I was going for the same kit in a 22", 13" and 16" floor tom, I probably would have liked the standard size lugs a bit better.

White marine pearl always intrigued me as far back in time as I can remember. I made several references to the finish throughout the years here on this forum. I really never cared as much for the other "pearl" finishes that Ludwig offers, but many of their "premium" and stain finishes also look really nice to me.

Dennis

now that you have those sweet ludwigs - you should give that poor neglected gretch kit
sitting next to it - to me of course! haha

nice kit(s) man

got a pic of that gretch anywhere?

oh - and please tell about those sabian HH's are they sabians equiv to zil K's?

Last edited:
WOW.

That looks so unbelievably nice. WMP Classic Maples, and in those sizes... That's definitely a keeper.

Congratulations man, enjoy them.

Cheers

now that you have those sweet ludwigs - you should give that poor neglected gretch kit
sitting next to it - to me of course! haha

nice kit(s) man

got a pic of that gretch anywhere?

oh - and please tell about those sabian HH's are they sabians equiv to zil K's?

Thanks Spectron. The Gretsch kit gets played, usually at some of our practices, but maybe not as frequently as some of my others. Here's a picture.

DSC_0243-1.jpg

The Sabian Hand Hammered series is comparable to the Zildjian K line, but the two aren't exactly the same in their sonic properties. I find in general that the HH cymbals might be a bit brighter overall in comparison. I have the "Dark" cymbals on the Ludwig kit and have the other Hand Hammered in thin and medium thin weights on my Yamaha drums. They include two rides, a 20" "Medium" and a 21" Raw Bell Dry ride, regular 14" hats, 5 crashes and 2 splashes.

Dennis

Back