Double ply snare head?

vegassuper

The associate at my local drum shop that seems to know the most about drums is almost passionate about "never" using a double ply head on a snare saying it chokes out the sound. I know the various companies make them so they must sell a few, would a few of you please offer up some opinions on this topic? Thanks

The associate at my local drum shop that seems to know the most about drums is almost passionate about "never" using a double ply head on a snare saying it chokes out the sound. I know the various companies make them so they must sell a few, would a few of you please offer up some opinions on this topic? Thanks

If you use a single ply head instead of a double ply, it will open up the sound a little bit. Basically, the thinner the head, the freer it is to vibrate. However, in my experience, it is a rather minute difference, and the durability of two ply heads is more important to me.

The snare is the one place where I prefer a double ply. Ambassador weight heads are OK, but I think they sound a little thin compared with the 2 ply heads. It's all about personal preference. It doesn't matter if you're the only one in the world doing something, if you prefer it, then that's all that matters.

Sometimes these passionate people gotta know when to let it go....

That's awesome that the guy's passionate about only using single-ply heads on his snare. I'm just as passionate about using whatever I like on my snares, which is sometimes single-ply, other times double-ply.

I've never heard anyone say that noone should use single-ply heads on snare drums. They might prefer single-ply themselves, but every head weight has its use.

I use single-ply in the studio, but other than that I always use 2-ply heads on my snare. It's more of a durability issue for me. I can have a 2-ply head on for months, but I'll ruin a single-ply head in a few days. However, I think 2-ply heads sound great on snare drums, so I have absolutely no problem using them. When playing live, the difference between a single-ply and 2-ply head is lost anyway, so I'll much rather have the added durability. I can't afford to replace my snare head every week :)

I've been using Evans G2 coated on my snares for the last year or so, with great results.

I like 2 ply heads on my snares. I just like the sound better than single ply heads.

I also like top dot heads on my snares (Remo CS Black Dot, Remo Coated top dot in 1 or 2 ply, Evans Power Center top dot, Aquarian Carmine sig head, etc..).

I agree with Bo too.

That's awesome that the guy's passionate about only using single-ply heads on his snare. I'm just as passionate about using whatever I like on my snares, which is sometimes single-ply, other times double-ply.

He did say associate dude is 'almost' passionate, so maybe he's passionate about a two plys one week and a singles the next.

Single and double ply have a different feel and response, which might unknowingly effect your playing more than the sound differences.

He can be as passionate as he likes. Door knocking salesmen are passionate too........doesn't mean I'm buying though.

7 snares......Emperors on all of them.

I've learned through trying a lot heads over the years that there isn't an absolute when it comes to snare heads.

Some snares sound great with a coated Ambassador batter while others really need the added thump a two-ply head gives. Some sound amazing with a dry-vented or edge-control type of head, while other drums can sound boxy or lifeless.

If you're searching for your sound on your drum, it would make sense to find out what each variation (ply, film weight, dots, vents, rings, etc.) brings to the sound, compare that to what you like or don't like about your snare now, and try a few different heads out. You might be surprised what you end up with, and it's very possible another drummer might tell you that it's the worst idea in the world, but if you like it...

Thanks for all of your replys. I thought maybe there was some good reason he is so against using a double ply head on a snare. I am looking forward to experimenting a little!

I thought maybe there was some good reason he is so against using a double ply head on a snare.

For him and his particular playing tastes, I'm sure he could offer plenty of good reasons as to why he prefers single ply heads. Just as I can offer plenty of good reasons why I prefer a two ply head.

I am looking forward to experimenting a little!

Yep....great option mate. Truely the best way to come up with your own "good reasons". :)

I like single ply, they tune up easier and seem to be more sensitive, and have a wider tuning range.

...could anyone offer feedback on which double ply head has the most tuning range?
I too would like to get some durability, BUT also a nice tuning spectrum with minimal dampening.

Thanks,

D

I prefer single ply heads for some snares and some styles of music - 2 ply heads for some situations... I find that if I'm going for snare sensitivity and over all response - single ply works best... For heavier tunes and a more "controlled" overall response, 2 ply heads work better. I also tend to favor 2 ply heads on deeper drums like my 14x7 Premier.

Coated Emperors and the new Vintage Ambassadors (which are indeed 2 ply) are both great snare batters.

Back