Another singing vid...

I think he would have as he didn't have any problem voicing his opinions on the whole Guru thing. I kind of get the feeling that he's kind of like one of those little kids who is always getting in trouble...you know, bad attention is better than no attention so he stirs things up to get the attention he is seeking. Maybe I'm off the mark but that's just the way I kind of see him.

And thanks again to everyone for their support...you make a girl feel special!

I agree with this, he proved it with the thread he created where he wanted people to post on it so he could block them. bad attention seeking, total baby stuff.

oh yeah, great job!

Shemp is an exercise in tolerance, something the world needs more of

I actually appreciate form time to time somebody who comes on here and shakes things up, rocks it, provokes it...... BUT, posting on a drum forum is a lot like drums themselves, its all about your 'tone'.

Sorry to join in the derail, but if you noticed, each time Shemp got into it with everyone, the issue was not that he stated a dissenting opinion about the topic at hand, but instead took issue with the way others were doing things on the forum. Anyone who comes onto an internet forum and starts talking about their right to this or that is off track. It's like being a guest in someone's home and acting in a way your host doesn't appreciate, and then telling your host why he/she is wrong to take offense.

He was generally polite enough, but what some people don't seem to notice is that he was fairly manipulative, and was smart enough to do it in a very round-about way so that the reactions to his statements could always be blamed on the ones reacting. He was pretty benign, in my estimation, but that type of manipulative behavior CAN be very destructive, and most people won't even realize they've been manipulated.

His is a difficult personality type for many to deal with.

Just best to move on, I think, since he has removed himself.

And I will state that all this is just my opinion, man.

And back to Mary, nice singing. Keep at it.

Mary if everybody in your world wanted you to get out front and sing....and leave the drumming to someone else (not because your drumming is bad, because it's a shame to have a singer trapped behind the drums) would you do it? Could you do it?

Mary if everybody in your world wanted you to get out front and sing....and leave the drumming to someone else (not because your drumming is bad, because it's a shame to have a singer trapped behind the drums) would you do it? Could you do it?

A good question and a scary one. I've been thinking a lot about it lately. I just don't know. The thought of giving up the drums completely makes me really sad. It's not a matter of being scared to do it...I think being a lead singer would be a blast. However, I just love playing the drums, too. I guess my ideal situation would be to form a band with another drummer/singer where we could split the duties (yeah, that's going to be easy to find....lol).

Here's the thing, though. I know that I'll never be a super drummer...mediocre at best. Not putting myself down, just being realistic. It's not a natural talent for me and I have to work too hard to be even so-so. Singing, however, is something that I seem to have more raw talent for to begin with which makes me think with some training I might could do pretty well at it.

I guess what I need to do is get into another band situation and see what talent we have. Maybe there would be a chance for me to do a little of both. I don't know.

I'd love to hear what some of you think....

It would be a hell of a shame if you stopped being a drummer ... but there's no reason why you should have to. Plenty of people play more than one instrument, even if there's one they favour most.

While I love drumming, I would give my eye-teeth to be able to sing, so if I were in your shoes it would be a no-brainer for me.

What you need, right, is two bands: one in which you're the singer, the other in which you're the drummer. Job done!

A good question and a scary one. I've been thinking a lot about it lately. I just don't know. The thought of giving up the drums completely makes me really sad. It's not a matter of being scared to do it...I think being a lead singer would be a blast. However, I just love playing the drums, too. I guess my ideal situation would be to form a band with another drummer/singer where we could split the duties (yeah, that's going to be easy to find....lol).

Here's the thing, though. I know that I'll never be a super drummer...mediocre at best. Not putting myself down, just being realistic. It's not a natural talent for me and I have to work too hard to be even so-so. Singing, however, is something that I seem to have more raw talent for to begin with which makes me think with some training I might could do pretty well at it.

I guess what I need to do is get into another band situation and see what talent we have. Maybe there would be a chance for me to do a little of both. I don't know.

I'd love to hear what some of you think....

I think you are seeing things as they really are. You are discovering strengths that you never realized you had. You have good time, can understand song forms, you can actually play drums, AND you can do lead vocals.

I can't tell you how many singers I know...singers with good voices...who don't understand song form. Meaning when someone is taking a solo, these singers can't hear the chord progressions, or can't hear that the soloist needs a 2nd time around the progression to culminate their solo to a peak. I've seen so many singers cut the solo short to come back in with their vocals.

YOU understand song form. YOU have a musicians ear and a singers voice. YOU have great, steady meter. YOU have the Ruby Slippers girl, just click your heels and make a wish.

Seriously, a singer who understands song form and can hear when a soloist is done or not....you've got a lot of raw material to work with.

So you're doing terrific Mary O. Keep on with your singing. You continue to be an inspiration and we all love you here.

Madge's idea is a home run. 2 bands. Issue resolved. Singers are the most rare, compared to the other instrument players, so you have that going for you too.

Well 2 bands would be great but I barely have time for one right now. Not sure if two is doable.

AND, let's be honest, singing karaoke style to a recorded track is a lot different than singing with a live band I would suspect so who knows how that would go. There are so many variables and unknowns at this point.

It's a lot to think about but worth looking into. The BF and I are between bands and trying to work up another CL ad to find some other musicians. I know that I want to include at least some singing duties in my next venture. I have to figure out how to word that, though...mediocre drummer/first time singer looking for band isn't likely to fetch to many responses...lol! Also, do we look for another drummer at this point or do we just leave it all up to me and/or look for another singer. I just don't know.

I guess I'm lucky to have so many possibilities, right?

I can't tell you how many singers I know...singers with good voices...who don't understand song form. Meaning when someone is taking a solo, these singers can't hear the chord progressions, or can't hear that the soloist needs a 2nd time around the progression to culminate their solo to a peak. I've seen so many singers cut the solo short to come back in with their vocals.

This is SO true! I am working with a young singer right now who has a super voice, but hasn't developed a good sense of meter or song structure yet. I like working with her, though, because she is eager to learn and knows it's important for a singer to know these things. I've actually started giving her informal drum lessons to help develop her sense of time and tune up her ears to listen to the song. She's grown by leaps and bounds.

You just went about it the other way, Mary! Drums, meter, and song structure first, then develop the voice. I think it's fantastic. Drummers who can sing, even backing vocals, are in demand in my area.

It's a great thing you're doing!

Okay, Larry, I'm jumping in with both feet. Just answered an ad on CL posted by a drummer looking to start a classic rock cover band. We responded to the ad, with me offering to be lead singer as opposed to the drummer!

Don't worry, not giving up the drums by any means....but this may be the foot in the door as a singer, right? I'll let you know if we get any response. Yikes!

I think you are seeing things as they really are. You are discovering strengths that you never realized you had. You have good time, can understand song forms, you can actually play drums, AND you can do lead vocals.

YOU understand song form. YOU have a musicians ear and a singers voice. YOU have great, steady meter. YOU have the Ruby Slippers girl, just click your heels and make a wish.

Seriously, a singer who understands song form and can hear when a soloist is done or not....you've got a lot of raw material to work with.

So you're doing terrific Mary O. Keep on with your singing. You continue to be an inspiration and we all love you here.

Madge's idea is a home run. 2 bands. Issue resolved. Singers are the most rare, compared to the other instrument players, so you have that going for you too.

THIS.

I am dealing with a worship leader at my church right now who has no concept of song form, and it's not conducive. Singers have to be as musically schooled as any band member to make it work.

Mary, you've got it far ahead of many folks who don't even know how to count! Go for it.

Not putting myself down, just being realistic. It's not a natural talent for me and I have to work too hard to be even so-so. Singing, however, is something that I seem to have more raw talent for to begin with which makes me think with some training I might could do pretty well at it.

I know the feeling, Mary. It makes sense to explore areas where you have more talent, and I agree that you should keep on with drumming, including practising drumming and singing together.

Okay, Larry, I'm jumping in with both feet. Just answered an ad on CL posted by a drummer looking to start a classic rock cover band. We responded to the ad, with me offering to be lead singer as opposed to the drummer!

Don't worry, not giving up the drums by any means....but this may be the foot in the door as a singer, right? I'll let you know if we get any response. Yikes!

Geez, no grass growing under your feet lol. You're kind of amazing like that. When you get something in your crawl, watch out lol! Let us know how it goes.

Look at you graduating to the head of the class already.

While you're at it, you should campaign for President in 2016. Shouldn't be too much trouble for you lol.

Bloody Hell. You have the kind of drive I wish I had!

Fantastic.

Bloody Hell. You have the kind of drive I wish I had!

Fantastic.

Geez, no grass growing under your feet lol. You're kind of amazing like that. When you get something in your crawl, watch out lol! Let us know how it goes.

Look at you graduating to the head of the class already.

While you're at it, you should campaign for President in 2016. Shouldn't be too much trouble for you lol.

Well, first I have to get a reply from the guy... As for President, not my cup o' tea...we'll save that position for someone else.

. It's like being a guest in someone's home and acting in a way your host doesn't appreciate, and then telling your host why he/she is wrong to take offense.

A very neat summary IDD, all in all, I won't be missing him, his initial attacks on Guru (and as far as I can recall ONLY Guru) when there are a number of other manufacturers participating on DW, was a big red flag for me.

Wow! You got spheres young lady ;)

Brass ones for sure:)..Good on ya Mary.Just jump right on in the deep end,and don't look back.Many a career has started that way,and you're just doing something else you love to do,and you're good at. Brava.

"What lies behind us and before us,are tiny matters,compared to what lies within us"--Henry Haskins.

Who's better than you.....:):)

Steve B

Either that or I'm just plain clueless! :)

The guy has emailed me back and seems interested. Says he likes the thought of a female lead singer because there aren't too many in the Cincinnati area. I would suspect that especially true in the classic rock genre. So....I'll talk to the BF tonight and if likes what this guy had to say, then we'll set up a time to meet in person this weekend. Oh my...what have I done???

Guess I better work up a few songs, huh? I did tell him I liked Melissa Etheridge so I have a couple of those I can sing and then last night I was working on Free's All Right Now..That should give him an idea anyways. This will either be awesome or crash and burn for sure!
Reality check on the way....

Stay tuned!

Either that or I'm just plain clueless! :)

The guy has emailed me back and seems interested. Says he likes the thought of a female lead singer because there aren't too many in the Cincinnati area. I would suspect that especially true in the classic rock genre. So....I'll talk to the BF tonight and if likes what this guy had to say, then we'll set up a time to meet in person this weekend. Oh my...what have I done???

Guess I better work up a few songs, huh? I did tell him I liked Melissa Etheridge so I have a couple of those I can sing and then last night I was working on Free's All Right Now..That should give him an idea anyways. This will either be awesome or crash and burn for sure!
Reality check on the way....

Stay tuned!

Rock on! It's exciting hearing about your adventures, Mary. Can't wait to hear what happens next!

Back