16-Inch Ride

deems

So I'm working on a project that involves creating a 'portable' budget drum kit.
Because of size restrictions, I'd like to find a small ride cymbal (16 inches) that's usable- meaning from a good brand. Flat ride would be incredible, but I'm pushing my luck already...
Anyone know of something like this?
Thanks,
-Deems

I don't know about a dedicated ride but there are crashes that will lend themselves to riding.

I've got an 18" ufip rough series which is quite thick and dry, it's an awesome crash and it doesn't seem to get washy so it's great for riding, I use it in the minimalist setup.

I think this guy is using a 16" here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gAOAdJNDWg

I know from the cocktail drum forum that Paiste makes a Rude 16" crash/ride. A lot of players on that forum ask about small rides and that seems to be the closest one can get to it based on the replies.

I just went to Paiste's web site and checked out the sound clips of it and to be honest it sounds like more of a crash than a ride. Then again, they didn't include a clip of it being ridden.

Good luck in your search, and hopefully someone will know about a dedicated ride in that size.

Thanks. I've seen crash/rides before, and never been too sure about them... I would have to hear how riding a crash sounds, like Dre mentioned.
Those might be my best options though- getting one custom made would just be crazy talk!

I used a 17" Paiste RUDE crash/ride as my ride. It is great, the edge gives a good sustain amount and near the bell gives a very distinct ride sound, great bell too.

I have a cocktail kit and I have been searching for a dwarf ride. I am now using a Sabian XS20 16 inch crash. It is surprisingly heavy for a crash and makes a good ride. I have a ball chain on it for sizzle. I do put a dab of putty on the bottom to control the wash. I once played a Zildjian K Custom Hammered 15 inch top hat that sounded incredible as a ride but it was out of my price range.

I used to play a Zildjian 16 inch ride but I sold it years ago. I don't recall the type, but it did have the Zildjian stamp and had the more modern looking black lettering that said 16 RIDE. I really regret selling that because I have not seen anything like it since.

You might want to try to find one of these ... I have one in 16"

Minicup.jpg

Hah, even decades ago, those evil overtones were stalking hapless drummers, driving them past the brink of sanity.

Wow, the Mini-Cups look ideal... Great ad, too!
I'll keep an eye out for them, (right now it looks like eBay only has 18 and 20 inch) if not I'll settle for a crash-ride or just a heavier crash. Anybody know how much Mini-Cups fetch for?

In the past I've had both an A Zildjian16" ride and an A 16" Flat Ride. Neither were particularly successful and I think that 18 is probably about the limit for a main ride cymbal.

Interesting that I found this thread - I was just playing a new acquired (used) 16" Zildjian K Dark Medium thin cymbal and I was amazed at how I found it was very rideable - the only 16" crash I have ever played that I would actually ride on.

It was $140 used. Should be easy to find...but ....I might have a really special one - you might play 10 others that just don't work.

Good luck!

Neal

Sorry to necro-bump this topic after almost a decade but there remains a derth of information and perhaps some significant gains on the topic:

A new-to-me Turkish maker, Agean, has a slew of 16" rides available and the Turkish brand has a beautiful flat "travel" unlathed sizzle ride.

The suitcase ride concept remains interesting.

Back