The pressure is on ☛

I Googled first multi-ply drums.

1918 Fred Gretsch, Sr. develops revolutionary multi-ply drum lamination process resulting in the world's first "warp free" drum hoop.

I still want to weld a (clipless) bike pedal one up for grins

not only would you have to choose among drive linkage

but cleat format - time,shimano,speedplay

a geek's (that'd be me) dream of overcomplication and incompatibility!!!

Airlogic just got an invite from me to jump-in here and tell us more about the pedal. Let's hope they show-up and represent.

You'll notice on their site they make mention of only the 'return' force being activated/powered by the compressed air.

-Your Airlogic bass drum pedal does not make use of springs, either expansion, or compression to provide the return force.

-Airlogic is the only pedal that utilizes compressed air to provide the return action.

-The air cylinder on the Airlogic pedal makes use of compressed air which roduces a pneumatic force to return the beater.

Interesting would be how much resistance is at the start of the stroke. Zero, a little? We're assuming beginning stroke is related to how much pressure is in the tank, even though the foot pedal is not used to charge/pump-up the tank.

-This graph illustrates the fact that less force is required at the beginning of the stroke and ramps-up exponentially as the beater approaches the bass drum.

Airlogic makes mention (a few times) of the pump possibly failing to pressurize fully.

-Periodically, or when the relief valve is not sealing completely, add 1 to 2 drops of "3 in 1" type oil to the pressure relief ball. Allow the oil to work into the valve to improve seating capability.

With one of these pedals you'd worried about blowing a seal. Not really a new twist though. Drummers can blow a seal on their air-lift thrones, but they can still make it through a gig. Another seal to worry about?

I have thought about that a few times. My sister has a bike with cleats and I wondered about doing that with double drum pedals

Interesting would be how much resistance is at the start of the stroke. Zero, a little? We're assuming beginning stroke is related to how much pressure is in the tank, even though the foot pedal is not used to charge/pump-up the tank.

I'd ASSUME (and that's worth less-than-nothing) it'd be a function of how much pressure you put into it -- like tuning a bike shock

I think it's an interesting idea

when (if) they stop by I'd be interested to hear if it has dampened rebound behavior

Shocks instead of springs. Interesting. And for 230.00 seems reasonable.

just from the description, it sounds more like an airspring than a shock

a spring stores energy
a shock controls the rate of energy transfer

so like in a vehicle suspension the spring absorbs the energy from a bump, but the shock controls how fast that energy goes in (compression damping) and out (rebound damping) of the spring so you don't get uncontrolled oscillations after the bump goes by
(I remember a couple of pointed object lessons I had in this concept in a 73 Mercury Capri with bad struts and an early rockshox fork - FWIW I pulled it out both times, but I think it was far more luck than skill ;) )

Last edited:
It looks like a cool idea but at the same time it seems like their trying to reinvent the wheel or drum pedal in this case.

Bonzolead

I'd ASSUME (and that's worth less-than-nothing) it'd be a function of how much pressure you put into it -- like tuning a bike shock

I think it's an interesting idea

when (if) they stop by I'd be interested to hear if it has dampened rebound behavior

Which begs the question of 'Why not have two tanks, one for beginning stroke, one for return?'

Which begs the question of 'Why not have two tanks, one for beginning stroke, one for return?'

dunno -- there might be enough internal material damping, esp with the progressive rate (as you come to the end of the rebound most of the energy has been spilled - geometric rate and all - so there might not be that much left to scrub off)

but I thinkjust putting another air spring counter to it wouldn't necessarilly really dampen it (having the extra material would probably cause some resistance, and you could put different spring rates on em I suppose which would maybe spread out the resonance, but to really dampen it like a shock, you'd need a noncompressible medium like oil and control orifice, or something with high internal damping like an elastomer)

eh, it'll be interesting to hear from the manfctr how it all plays out in the practical

Last edited:
I have thought about that a few times. My sister has a bike with cleats and I wondered about doing that with double drum pedals

might be worth a shot -- for grins (dragsters often have a little toe clip on the throttle pedal -- that may be a little more practical, but not nearly as much fun)

I don't play doubles, so I can't comment on that

the soles of bike shoes TEND (you can find soft ones) to be really really stiff and you aren't going to be able to heel and toe

but I suppose you could mount a trigger on the rebound throw of the pedal :D

eh, I'll sock it away for an "if i get really bored this winter" project

(I live in Seattle, so come about Nov, it gets really dark and stupid projects help keep you sane)

I just can't imagine very many people buying these. Like the PDP B.O.A. pedal and the Gibraltar Catapult. Sometimes "too weird" is just "too weird".....

I agree.

I've seen many odd pedals come out over the years, and for the most part, they never sell, and are never heard from again after a few years.

Depends on how much its promoted. Case in point, the BOA.

That has a lot to do with it.

There are probably pedal designs that are "better" in some ways then the conventional spring design, i.e. smoother, faster, more controllable, etc. But they doubtless have some tradeoffs (expense, durability, repairability, reliability, etc.). The conventional spring pedal is like the cockroach or shark - perfectly evolved and difficult to improve.

If you do the Clips... I feel the direct linkage will keep the pedal from springing around like a pedal with a chain might... The footplate may stay attached to the foot, but the mechanical parts still move and slack the chain...

That's my input anyway...

DR. Pedal

You know, honestly I think Im gonna wait on this one till they come out with a digital pressure gauge and adjustable LED brightness.

http://www.airlogic.com/

I do have a question about the air pressure and if it exhausts any air when it's played?? If it is just an air piston, there must be a cam in there somewhere... I agree the footplates look weak, though I would like to feel one...

DR Pedal.

I do have a question about the air pressure and if it exhausts any air when it's played?? If it is just an air piston, there must be a cam in there somewhere... I agree the footplates look weak, though I would like to feel one...

DR Pedal.

It (the air) has gotta be contained, otherwise you need a compressor to constantly refill it.

these guys are literally 15 miles from me....maybe I can get them to offer a demo so I can give the forum a write up.

F

Back