Martin Lopez

E

Elemental Nausea

I wanted to dedicate a thread to martin lopez of the progressive metal band Opeth.
The compositions of opeth are really unique and well structured, not just one part unfittingly linked to another just that it seems complex.There is so much shuffle feel going on in his drumming, when I listened to it more carefully, there are really many details which he adds in the grooves and I learned shuffeling better by trying to play along to some songs...maybe bernard will also check him out if he doesnt know him yet and create a page for him here on drummerworld

Excellent drummer! You really get to appreciate the complexity of his work on the 'Lamentations' dvd. Some of my favourite drumming is on the 'Blackwater Park' and 'Deliverence' album.
Nice to know I am not the only one who appreciates his drumming. On another note: I hope he recovers from his blood disorder in time when Opeth come back to London in November. I saw them last week - and they were brilliant.

Fantastic band and player. IMO he really excells with the band's lighter stuff, like on the Dam nation record. Those licks he used in "Windowpane" are cool as hell!

Det_Nosnip said:
Fantastic band and player. IMO he really excells with the band's lighter stuff, like on the Dam nation record. Those licks he used in "Windowpane" are cool as hell!

That drum break in it is unbelievable....... Can anyone transcribe it?

Anyways Martin Lopez is amazing. Not only on Damnation but all the other records as well. In Lamentations really shows his skill from how he can play really soft during the soft set and then then get the whole crowd going during the "heavy" set.

i just saw opeth last night in philadelphia...and once i got there, i heard Martin wouldnt be playing, i was so dissapointed, but then i heard the drummer from bloodbath was gonna fill for him, he really aced the set. great drummer didnt miss a beat, but he still is no martin lopez. it just didnt seem the same without him playing, even tho i wasnt really watching the drummer or anything lol....hes byfar my favorite drummer, so much so that im gonna purchase his premier artist setup and the 14x7 modern classic snare..woot!

Am I the only one who knows him? He's the drummer of ''Opeth''

www.opeth.com

hes awesome..Influenced by latin/jazz drumming and also a great heavy metal drummer...

Last edited:
Hey Hide,
GREAT CHOICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....Most people don't know of him because of the style of music he plays and Opeth is not really a house hold name ( In most homes ) But if you wanna learn what AMAZING double bass is....Dang..... Martin is the man !!!!!!. Personally i do not care for the vocal stylings of Opeth. With that said i do own there complete library.. My personal favorite is Damnation... That's where Martin SHINES in my opinion....110% taste and feel. Great chops and plays in the pocket consistently... More people need to know of Martin Lopez........................Cheers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Yeah, Opeth are a very very talented band doing some interesting things... I too however feel the band would benefit greatly from less of the "cookie monster" vocals.

It is a pity about Martin's health problems... it must be very frustrating to miss legs of tours for treatment!

It's the balance between his "cookie monster vocals" and mellow vocals that make the band for me.

But anyway, yeah he's a good drummer. Very tasteful. Knows exactly when to release his deadly chops, and when to sit back.

And his drum sound on Ghost Reveries is awesome.

Great drummer, I've always liked Opeth and have had the opportunity to see them on show, unfortunatly Martin wasn't there, it was the drummer for Blood Bath replacing, it's a shame because I wanted to hear his live playing.

When I heard the song Ghost of Perdition on the new album, when the end of the song came I almost fell flat on my ass, amazing material.

i must first say that i dont like opeth's heavy stuff, i respect the skill, but i dont find it appealing. but their album "damnation" has to be one of the most inspirational prog rock albums ever. and lopez is amazing on it, killer beats and inventive fills.
a superb performance

I love Opeth. As for Lopez? They may as well call the band Lopez, he's a great drummer. I love everything about the way they play. Martin Lopez can play it all fast, slow, heavy, tasteful, everything. My band is covering Deliverance for an upcoming show. If I get a recording of it I'll post it.

LumberjackIvan said:
I love Opeth. As for Lopez? They may as well call the band Lopez, he's a great drummer. I love everything about the way they play. Martin Lopez can play it all fast, slow, heavy, tasteful, everything. My band is covering Deliverance for an upcoming show. If I get a recording of it I'll post it.
I agree to 100%! I've seen them live once and Lopez is a great drummer! And I hope you get a recording of the song and post it! Would be awesome to hear! I've covered it once in a band. My personal favorites are Deliverance and Damnation.

martin lopez is by far the best metal drummer in the best metal band of all time...

he really adds to the music... and has a pair of the fastest legs/feet in the buisiness

i love martin lopez and opeth...its just really sad about his health problems

im seeing them in march..i hope hes fit to tour by then

Martin Lopez for Opeth

I have heaps of videos on this guy, he is insane. Opeth being one of the best metal bands ever.

Mate i live in Australia and they are finally here. Opeth are one of my favourite bands and i cant see them because its over 18 and im 17 years old. Im in tears.

I'm really cut that lopez quit. I understand that he's got health problems but I can't imagine Opeth without him. I just saw them in Australia, and its was amazing, dirty mix, and the drummer from Bloodbath is nowhere as good as lopez, but still a good show. I don't want the 'Axe' (bloodbath) in Opeth, not enough finese as lopez, and not neat passages in any of their music (as opposed to Opeth). Oh well....

What? He has even quit now? What a shame, I have already seen opeth twice, once at last year´s summer breeze festival and once in munich. But I have never seen Lopez live it was always the bloodbath drummer who, of course, did a good job but I hoped that I could see Lopez live at "Rock im Park" this year....won´t be happening I guess...
I wonder what the causes are for his "shock attacks" or whatever they are calling it

Back