Dylan Elise

Nostromo

It seems strange: there are a lot of videos of Dylan Elise on Youtube. His videos have around 500 000 views, he is an amazing all around drummer, really, and he seems to be completely unknown in this forum. Shame on us. Please take a look at his videos and state your opinion.

I think it's funny how nobody has responded until now given the wording of the OP. Seriously though this guy has been phenomenal since he was 16... Not one other response? Really guys?

I agree, he's a bit under-appreciated, mainly because no-one outside my beautiful home country New Zealand, knows who he is. I've seen him play live many times, jam many times, awesome.

The 'festivals' you see him performing in where everyone is in costumes is spillover from the Wellington Rugby 7's tournaments, where 50,000 people in costume get drunk at a stadium, watch live rugby, then get drunker and go into town to get even more drunkerer.

Haha... that explains a lot thanks for the information. A big part of the reason I used to like watching his videos was because I got to see some of the blown away drunk audience members doing their thing.

Yeah I've seen his videos playing in the street - he can groove but is also very technical and has some tasty double bass pedal chops too

The guy is a GREAT player. He is the epitome of a natural. There is nothing he cannot play. I believe he is one of the, if not the most underrated drummer out there. It seems because he has not been in some popular band or doesn't have a big discography his talents are bypassed. Sorry. That man is a monster by any definition.

How many people here have had a documentary done about them? New Zealand has over 4.5 million people. It isn't a bump in the road place.

There are lots of vids of him playing in various musical groups, as well. He isn't just a soloist.

It kills me the man is not highly recognized for the talents he has. A very humble, guy, too.

Exactly, Drumisinhis... Well, when I started the thread, there where 500,000 views. Now he is nearing the 3 million mark. Sooner or later, he will be recognized as the great drummer he is.

Monster player and nice, down to earth guy. He lives around Boston now and stops in every so often to our local drum store on the North Shore. I've only seen him play solos, but the fact that BS&Ts have him tells me that he has a heavy groove, too.

Monster player and nice, down to earth guy. He lives around Boston now and stops in every so often to our local drum store on the North Shore. I've only seen him play solos, but the fact that BS&Ts have him tells me that he has a heavy groove, too.
Does he? Yeah, he is truly an entertainer and has great chops. His solos groove nicely even around all of the tricky stuff.

THE great drummers -- Gadd, Weckl, Colaiuta, Jordan, etc. -- how were THEY originally recognized as the great drummers they were and are? Weckl was Chick Corea's drummer. Jordan was SNL's drummer. Colaiuta was Zappa's drummer. Gadd was... well, Gadd. But they all spent their entire young lives at the grindstone, working their asses off so that they could have those opportunities and create something new. Dylan Elise has all the chops I can imagine, and a decent sense of groove, but does it say anything about him if he is still saddled with drunk stadium crowds and Youtube fans? What artist wants the Dylan Elise you see playing stupid-fast double bass licks on Youtube? I just think despite all the impressive skills, the guy may not know what NOT to do at some points.

Now he is playing for Blood Sweat and Tears, so long gone are the drunk stadium crowds you despise so much, davidbehrens3.14.

I attended a BS&T concert (with a mature audience ;-) ) here in the Chicago area (St. Charles, IL) a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed with Dylan's overall playing and musicianship. It seems very clear to me that he is developing into a very solid & well-rounded player. Sure, his viral YouTube clips demonstrates monster chops, showmanship, and speed---what you might expect from a raw, young talent.
It was a pleasure watching him play in a very tight BS&T ensemble. I had a chance to chat with him after the show. He is a very humble and engaging person. I look forward to watching him develop! A future DrummerWorld feature?

Indeed, Scotdrummer. From what I heard, he is doing very well with BS&T. By the way, his predecessor was Tommy Igoe. I think they are friends.

Back