G2 or ec2?

bigman30

So i was looking at getting either the g2 coated or the ec2 coated but im not quite sure how they compair in sound. Any thoughts?

I tried the EC2 clears on the Mapex Saturn drums at church. I like the sound, but they seemed to wear out much more quickly than the G2 heads I have used in the past. Are you playing drums by yourself or in a band / jam situation? Drums sound very different behind the kit than how they sound in front of the kit. Drums also sound different when played with other instruments. Peace and goodwill.

Go G2, they last longer, will teach you more about tuning and if you ever want the ec2 sound throw on 1/4 moongel near the rim. Pre-muffled heads usually aren't my cup of tea. They're just less versatile.

I always loved Evans drum heads. I'm using EC2's clear heads on my set. But i tried the EC2 coated and i was disappointed. They sound to "plastic"... Go for the G2's.

Between the 2, I would go with the G2 if you're going coated. But, I think the EC2 are better in the clear models than the G2.

Also, I find that the built-in dampening on the EC2 is not very dramatic. It's no where's near on what a studio ring/ e-ring would do IMO. But I find that the coated/frosted EC2 heads sound and feel "plasticky". Clear is the way to go if you were to go with the EC2 in my opinion.

Are you talking EC2 or EC2-SST? Slight difference. On my Renowns the SST were too muffled. I now have G2 coated on all of my toms.

I have the EC2s on my Catalina Maples

I will say that I have had a little rough of a time tuning to what I want. I do not have alot of experience with other heads, however. It looks like people are pulling towards the G2s. I will say that I have alot of problems specifically tuning my floor toms with these heads.

Please update us when you've made a decision and slapped them on your kit.

Well they would be used for live sound. Sometimes mics, sometimes no mics. I have the regular G1's right now and they have too many over tones for my likings. So at church yesterday, I played some g2 coated and I really liked them. I was pretty set on them, but I had always wondered about the EC2 and I figured I would ask. I have not really heard anything good from them though.

G2s... more open and versatile, and if needed, you can get the sound of the EC2 with added muffling. My 2 cents.

i think it depends on the shells and if you will be playing live or recording a lot.

For my pearl mcx masters, those shells are really quite tame to begin with in comparison to my mapex saturn shells, so G2 on my pearl mcx masters is perfect, on my saturns ec2's might be a better choice only if recording but I still go with a normal two ply clear head on those as well. It's been said so many times, you can always add a bit of dampening but cannot remove it so G2 or any other brand of double ply head just makes sense all the way around. My Tama Starclassic BB also have clear double ply heads as well, Aquarian Response currently.

I don't think you can go wrong with G2 or EC2 just that you are limited with the EC2 on the ability to liven it up.

Also depends on your bearing edges. Sharp bearing edges make the drum rely on the head for tone more so than a bearing edge that has more contact with the head. For example, ECT SSTs sound good on by Tama Rockstar (albeit is a lower-tier kit) but sound dead and too muffled on my Velvetones (sharp bearing edges)

Got G2 coated. Or do what I'm doing: try the Remo White Suede emperors

Go G2, they last longer, will teach you more about tuning and if you ever want the ec2 sound throw on 1/4 moongel near the rim. Pre-muffled heads usually aren't my cup of tea. They're just less versatile.

I completely agree with this. If you have G2's and want an EC2 sound it's not hard to obtain, but if you have EC2's and want the G2 sound you're pretty much out of like.
Beyond that it really depends upon how resonant you like your drums as well as how resonant your shells are.

Back