Anti-Vibration Drumsticks

The Ani-Vibe sticks are great for electric kits, but they feel too fake/solid for an acoustic kit. By fake and solid I mean that you don't have the organic, pure feeling of a normal stick. For tendon pain, try popping you're knuckles when it begins to hurt. The gas is busted up from in-between the knuckles (the popping noise) and it helps rid the pain.

The Hornet sticks claim to be anti-vibe as well. The ball end contains 2 off rubber rings.

However in use I don't make contact with the ends of the stick and so the rubber ring design is lost with me.

I do hold the sticks ever so lightly though and this is probably why I don't suffer in any way from stick vibration. I must say though when I transfer to regular hickory fusions I do get more shock in my hands and so maybe there is something in the Hornet design that works for me.

Davo

I've got tendonitis in my right wrist and up through the elbow an I am wondering if these giggrip things that duallist makes might be of any benefit....any thoughts?

http://www.giggrips.com/buy-drumstick-gig-grips-in-USA.html

Thinking of trying them with a pair of the ahead sticks and maybe even some gloves....anybody have any luck with combining any of these?

I tend to have a too tight grip on the sticks and I am trying to break that habit.

Since my earlier post in this thread I've purchased and have been using Ahead 7A's with Giggrips. I think both are great products and keep my grip loose and minimize vibration. I am finding the Aheads to be really durable though I am not all that heavy a hitter so that may have something to do with it.

You guys should also try Triplet Drum Gloves. They can help with keeping a loose grip because they have hoops that help hold the sticks.

I used the Zildjian 5A antivibes on my ekit and honestly didn't notice a difference. That's probably just me.

I have one set of Zildjian Anti-Vibe sticks, I'm not sure of their size, but I too couldn't feel much difference. They're my least played wooden tips out of my arsenal of drum sticks.

Dennis

Ancient thread here. I've been going back and forth between the Zildjian Anti-Vibes 5B's and some Vic Firth American Classic 5B's. I find there's a very noticeable difference in the feel. The anti-vibe thing really works. That said, it's going to be an individual question as to how much it matters to you.

One of my goals in learning drums (again) is to have some real finger technique, which I never really had when I used to play before. I can see that having that little extra feedback from regular sticks can be useful. When I start playing more for extended periods, I'll have to see whether the vibration from regular sticks is tiring or not. And I just don't have the experience to say whether the Zildjians are less durable or not.

I have horrible carpal tunnel syndrome, so it might make more of a difference to me than to some other people.

I got myself a pair of the anti-vibes (5A) for my electric kit (Yamaha DTX 562K with silicone pads) after my regular sticks broke after only a couple weeks or so. My original pair of anti-vibes are still intact after 6 months of play so they definitely work.

I tend to play long high-energy sessions and in the past anything beyond 90 minutes would start to really tear up my hands and sometimes cause blisters (playing either acoustic or electric drums). With the anti-vibes I've been able to go past 2 hours and never have any blisters! Instead I've built up some callouses but nothing too extreme.

Bottom line, the anti-vibes are definitely easier on the hands!

So...I bought the damn things.

I've been playing 5A Pro-Mark Oaks for the last few years

Your former stick of choice could have been making whatever issues you have even worse. Oak sticks are the hardest and most dense sticks out there that are readily available, and absorb the least amount of shock. I've tried them a few times over my 30 years of drumming, and always found them umcomfortable to use due to the increased vibration and shock I noticed. There are many drummers that swear by these sticks, but there also many drummers who stay away for the reasons I just mentioned. You like the anti vibe sticks so far; glad they're working for you. Hickory has much greater shock absorbing properties compared to oak, so you might even be ok with standard hickory sticks. Maple absorbs even more shock than hickory, but tend to break somewhat easily. Wherever your stick journey takes you from here, my advice would be, considering the issues you described, to stay away from oak sticks.

And, I just noticed this thread is from 5 years ago, lol. Oh well, if my post helps anyone, than typing this up was time well spent.

This thread is even older now. lol. I read through it today and yes it did me some good. I'm gonna get some Zildjian anti-vibe sticks and give them a try on my E-kit. Thanks posters. Old threads never die, they just get read less.

This thread is even older now. lol. I read through it today and yes it did me some good. I'm gonna get some Zildjian anti-vibe sticks and give them a try on my E-kit. Thanks posters. Old threads never die, they just get read less.
I use them on my acoustic kits after having my Carpal Tunnel issues, easier on the hands, not as ridged. I play better with them and you can get them in a couple different sizes.

If you can find them, hit up Regal Tip. They had a few editions with a graphite rod going through the middle expressly for anti-vibe. They felt great.

If you can find them, hit up Regal Tip. They had a few editions with a graphite rod going through the middle expressly for anti-vibe. They felt great.

The graphite rod does not go all the way through the stick. Every Regal Tip stick has that "graphite rod" on the butt end of the stick. It's how they hang the stick (to dry) after the specialty gloss finish is applied. After it dries, they cut it off directly at the butt.

Also, the Zildjian Anti-VIbe's are great for practice pad and electronic pad use. I don't use them on "real" drums, but I love using them on Practice Pads. Much less fatigue and I feel like I can play for much longer, without any pain or stress in my fingers or wrists. I highly recommend them for practice pad or rubber pad use.

I use Regal Tip for that reason. It may be softer wood or something but to me they seem not to vibrate as much as others.

Back