Cleaning pedals. -- what to use/not use?

onedudeinca

Hey everyone, I scored iron cobra double bass pedals recently but they appeared really disgusting. Had questions not just about maintenance but how to actually "CLEAN" them:

If i dismantle the pedals, how do you recommend cleaning the footboards and other parts? Will disinfectant wiped be omon some or all parts, or does it ruinanything ( the finish, etc.)? I read one forum actually saying you can soak parts in soapy water then just dry them all off well and then oil/lubricate the necessary parts.

YouTube or other sites do not seem to say much about dthis, other than use a gentle cloth and toothbrush. But this doesn't actually CLEAN them for my case.

Any takers on how to help? Thanks all. :)

There is a product called "Awesome" that is just that. You can clean just about anything with it, and it is non corrosive. It comes in a clear spray bottle and the liquid is yellow. I used it to clean my vintage Pearl Wood-Fiberglass when I got it, it was covered in 4 decades worth of crud, and is now shiny and pretty again, minus the natural fading of the wrap. My wife buys it at a store called "Deals for a Dollar." I am sure you can pick it up in other places too.

Stay away from WD-40 if you re-lube your pedals. It attracts dirt and will leave you having to re-lube again.

I've used wd-40 on a dw7000 at the shop and my own dw7000 along with several other constant use pedals....I've not experienced any problems or dirt/dust attraction....I use it in my wife's and my beach cruiser bycicles chains again with zero issues....

However, I think it is not the best choice and I've been kinda kicking myself for not digging a little deeper....wd-40 has been a family tool passed down from my grandfather....so it's always been there, not the best choice though.

I'm actually moving over to a special bike chain lube and there is an improvement in performance....so I agree wd-40 is not ideal...but for the worry warts out there like me, I don't it will cause a problem per se

Another choice if you can still find it is Marvel Mystery Oil. What's in it? I don't know. It's a mystery.

Thanks everyone. So can I use cleaning wipes on the pedals? Should I avoid cleaners containing ammonia, which may ruin the coating? Anything else to avoid as a cleaning agent? Thanks again all

i wonder if you can cover/tape up the bearings and spray the suckers own with simple green? then hose them down without getting water near the bearings. then gentle wd40 the chain/bearing, just enough to get everything moving slowly and none on your shoes when your playing...

its possible but ive never done it, if i need to i would do this or maybe a wet rage to get the simple green off. rinsing the rage off of course every few mintues

silicon oil in the bearings. its pretty much the same as the "ninja oil" pearl give out

i would never use wd-40 in the joints bearings as its a cleaning product and not really a lube. but this is always argued...

I have had my pedals last me years and have never used WD though..

not sure if this helps but I generally use a crunched up ball of aluminium foil, water, house-hold detergent, cloth and some time to scrub those suckers... That on old pedals
I still struggle to do so on my demons as the surface is so smooth and seemed it need more than a scrub to rid some dirt.

Back