transporting hi-hat stand

MisterZero

Hey, what do you guys use to transport your hi-hat stand? Most of the trap cases and hardware bags are too short for mine, and I assume yours, too. I bent my hi-hat rod last night. One friggin fall-over and the thing bent so fast....I guess I should've asked this question BEFORE last night :)

Tighten the clutch to the top of the rod and then unscrew the rod from the stand. Remove the upper tube, which will now protect the rod from getting damaged. By taking the stand apart for transporting, I've managed to use a smaller case while keeping my stand perfectly intact

Thanks. Yeah, I didn't feel like taking it apart. I am trying to minimize the number of steps needed to go back and forth to gigs and practice.

Wave, those drums are gorgeous! How did you hear about Kumu?

I've always used a traps case around 48" long. The hat stand fits easily. Great for cymbal stands too as I only need to remove the top section and the rest stays at the same height for easier setting up next time.

Wave, those drums are gorgeous! How did you hear about Kumu?

Kumu has been a household name in Finland since the late 90s. I don't remember when exactly I heard about them, but I do remember I had coveted them since the day I started drumming. Surely enough, the Kumus are my second drums and hopefully my last ones, too.

like the others said, Always break the stand in half and leave the upper rod in the upper tube when transporting in the hardware bag.

Tighten the clutch to the top of the rod and then unscrew the rod from the stand. Remove the upper tube, which will now protect the rod from getting damaged. By taking the stand apart for transporting, I've managed to use a smaller case while keeping my stand perfectly intact

That is good advice. I have a short stand and a very short pull rod so it's not an issue for me, but for most people, they really ought to remove the pull rod because they're easy to bend.

Just like Wavelength I use only a 36 inch hardware bag. The 36 Inch bag is easy to transport and it sits on the floor of the rear seat well in my pick up truck.
Breaking down the hat stand is the only way to fit it into the short bag.

One little addition, I put the rod in the upper tube, but I protrude the rod through the plastic bottom hi hat cymbal "cradle", just enough to come to the top, but not stick out. (What is the proper name for that cradle anyway?? You know that plastic cymbal tilter assembley thingy. Why don't I know this?)

This way the metal rod inside the cradle "guide" protects the plastic "guide" from getting cracked off in the trap case. A stitch in time and all that.

What is the name of that confounded part of the hi hat? Anyone?

My case is a taller model, and fits the hat stand whole (I also shortened the rod),cymbal stands too.
But, I also put the clutch at the top of the rod, and raise the tube to stop at the clutch.
That way the rod is protected...and you always want to do that....

I have a slender bit of tubing with a wing collar on one end, like a very thin tube from a cymbal stand (in fact it probably came from an ancient cymbal stand). It accepts my hi-hat rod which I can then secure with the wing screw collar. If somehow that thing bends, I would be very surprised. I then stuff that inside my upper hi hat tube and put both parts of the hi-hat stand in my hardware case.

A piece of PVC tubing (caps both ends) makes a nice travel case for HH rod, even your double pedal drive shaft, tube can also double as an effective stage weapon.

A piece of PVC tubing (caps both ends) makes a nice travel case for HH rod, even your double pedal drive shaft, tube can also double as an effective stage weapon.

Plumbing supply store. PVC tubing with one flat cap, glued permanently as the bottom for the case. The other cap doesn't get glued and when it starts to wear a bit I just put a small piece of blue painter's tape on the inside and it holds for a while (then you do it again).

Cheap and durable. 8 inch tube and caps was about $22.

url

Back