Thomas Lang

Yeah, but did he really need that second chair on his left? That seemed a bit excessive y'know, he could probably have done all of that with one...

Now, when you say it - and I'm thinking about it: yes!!!! you're right, darn....

B.

lol nice new sig Lutz.

Yea awesome vid Bernhard, this dvd looks really awesome, showing all these sorts off clips, (like the one where hes just relaxing in the medow) putting this sort of footage on a dvd is really awesome. The ending is cool, this DVD he just seems to be alot more 'human'..then it goes to him behind the kit...But really hes showing humor, the singing part is great at the end, so unexpected.

Thank you Bernhard. Enough is enough. It was pretty funny though...

Now back to Lang.

So, extreme independence is what we are talking about with Mr. Lang. I'd like to see him learn how to play the piano. The most extreme independence possible would be the following:

1. Legs of Mr. Lang.
2. Play a midi-enabled keyboard with hands. Each key is a different sampled drum/cymbal. Learn complete independence across the fingers.
3. Put it all together

Advanced piano playing has some extreme independence across fingers/hands that make what we do on drums seem trivial. So, if you can put all of this together I think you'd take it to the max.

This independence is what a organist does already with both hands and feet. But, doing it with sampled drums sounds would be very cool. You could probably convert a concert organ to use sampled drums sounds on both the pedals and keys. Now that would be cool.

Well he can play a bit of piano i think. Theres a bit of him playing at the intro on the first dvd, although his piano technique...he has the whole pointer fingers thing going.lol But another Thomas Lang a bit before his time (our Thomas) was a famous pianist, i dont know too much about him though. Hmm i found his page on Wikipedia the other day now i cant find any trace...Theres some other artistic Thomas Langs though.

Last edited:
In my opinion one of the greatest drummers to roam this earth he is full of great beats and rolls and he always has an intresting kit........ i think he is great what about u guys...

Re: Thomas lang

Ahh hes got mad chops and independence like a mofo but his grooves and feel just isn't there.

BTW I think there is a thread already started, if not I'm surprised there hasn't(I'm to lazy to search)

He is a computer controlled robot from the future in terms of technique. Unfortunately I think his musicality comes from the same 5 seconds of drowsiness I get when I'm drunkenly about to fall asleep...Totally awufl, IMO. The music he plays is completely unlistenable...

Well hope this won't get too negative...

I admire Lang for his exceptional coordination and technique skills. He is also very impressive drummer.

But I'm not fan of his music either. He has played with Roby Williams so I guess he isn't totally grooveless. Still, his compositions get boring quiet soon and that's strange considering that he use so many entertaming elements in his music. Ears get tired of chops' abundance. Maybe he is too generous with coordination and technique stuff that usually amazes people. Jojo or Jabo, for example, don't drown listeners with it. They keep everything real tight and then just in the right momet- ''BOOM'' knocks you out :)

Anyway deepest RESPECT towards Thomas Lang. 40 years of work work WORK...

Thomas Lang... What can anyone say about the guy that really has not been said before... The guys tech'q, indep, stick trix, what more can anyone else say other than this guy is AMAZING... True to the words of, one of a kind...
BUT I do have to agree with some of the other guys who said there really is no feeling... And its true...
I thing Lang is amazing, but he is way too much to play soft and slow and just give a simple groove... The guy is everywhere and thats why you see him at all the clinics and promotional events he is sponsored by...
Some of the players that we all look up to and everything when we were growing up, can honestly not play like Lang, His trix, independance, techniques, BUT they had the flow and skill of musicians playing to the music...
I know that Thomas Lang is probably one of everyones favorit drummer, but come on, compare a groove between Gadd and Lang... Then you will know what I mean by feeling and putting your soul into the song, rather than performing at superhuman speed and indi!

No feel or musicality? His playing in his latest DVD is mindblowing. He turned BLAST BEATS into something musical for crying out loud. Maybe his older stuff has less feel to it, but I really thought his playing on his latest DVD was out of this world. He also seems like a really laid back, easy to talk to guy from the way he comes off in his DVD. Unlike the impression I get from a lot of the extremely advanced technical drummers that play things just for the sake of playing them and have the personalities of rocks, Thomas seems like a really chill guy that dosen't walk around acting as if he is Gods gift to drumming and finds a way to make the incredibly technical fit into his music. I personally take much more of a liking to drummers that are more relatable to, Thomas being one of them for me.

He is a computer controlled robot from the future in terms of technique. Unfortunately I think his musicality comes from the same 5 seconds of drowsiness I get when I'm drunkenly about to fall asleep...Totally awufl, IMO. The music he plays is completely unlistenable...
A little harsh there Erik? Not to your tastes admitted, but extremely good technicaly; I checked out the guys that you recommended to me and found them passionate but not to my taste but couldn't describe them as awful!
I'm very biased where Thomas is concerned, I met him at the tail end of DrummerLive at the Dolbear stand and we had a coffee and a great chat; we listened to my p*sspoor cover of 'Wipeout!' on a laptop and Thomas was extremely flattering about my 'work', so at least we know he has great taste LMBFAO!!
I think that we all have our favourites and sometimes dismiss others, Thomas is an exceptional musician and we could learn a lot without being fans of his.

No feel or musicality? His playing in his latest DVD is mindblowing. He turned BLAST BEATS into something musical for crying out loud. Maybe his older stuff has less feel to it, but I really thought his playing on his latest DVD was out of this world. He also seems like a really laid back, easy to talk to guy from the way he comes off in his DVD. Unlike the impression I get from a lot of the extremely advanced technical drummers that play things just for the sake of playing them and have the personalities of rocks, Thomas seems like a really chill guy that dosen't walk around acting as if he is Gods gift to drumming and finds a way to make the incredibly technical fit into his music. I personally take much more of a liking to drummers that are more relatable to, Thomas being one of them for me.

Acctualy I haven't seen his latest stuff.
Yes he looks very humble and nice guy and his techniqual abbilities are fantastic.
Musical taste is always subjective thing. I personally don't see him as my main influence especially for grooves. That of course doesn't mean that for other guy he can't be the Groove-God.
On the other hand there are drummers who are considered great groovers by majority of listeners like Steve Gadd, Jabo Starks etc. Why do so many people agree that X drummer is groove master, thought maybe not techniqual one, while Y isn't. These X drummers can make beat very captivating. In Lang's playing I hear captivating speed, control, coordination and overall sound but not so much beat itself. I'm sure that Lang didn't want to follow Gadd's path and he made decision to work a lot on those things he can do brilliantly today. Certanly I admire him a lot just for different qualities. Every one can learn something valuable from pro drummer.

Thomas Lang is surely one of the greatest drummers around. He is athletic and musical at the same time. the only thing I can say is that sometimes he gets too much on the athletic side but nothing else. He is simply fantastic one of the most technical drummers.

Nope have not seen his new DVD.
I can surely say the guy seems down to earth. On MySpace I wrote him a message and he got back to me. I know that does not say much, but honestly its just good to see a drummer on his level so down to earth with everyone else!

As far as his drumming, I will say it again, they guy can do anything and everything. I think a drummer like Lang and Portnoy and so many more out there, are just so good they dont even know it.

Back