Josh Freese

Re: Josh Freese!!

Left foot on bass? Wow is the only word that comes to mind.

woohooo a josh freese thread hhehe, he is one of my influence, hes also a famous L.A. session and studio guy, he has work with different bands from punk to pop to rock, and hes very creative with a perfect circle.

thinkintriplets said:
He went pro @ 14 with the Vandals!

I have a whole article on him in Modern Drummer Mag from a couple years back. If anyone wants it, I'll scan it and email it!

Marc.

YEAH!!!!! I WANT IT!!!!!!!

Mail: [email protected]
Msn: same as Mail

Send it to me!!

Josh played on the Suicidal Tendencies album "The Art of Rebellion". Good production, solid playing, but I think it's overall a lame record as far as Suicidal Tendencies is concerned. Definitely not as good as their early stuff.

I know this is a little late and this thread is really old but I love this man, his work with a perfect circle is what inspired me to become a drummer. I was wondering if it would be possible to also send that article you mentioned

My email is [email protected]

Also, where is lagerborg from? what album I mean

Wait a minute...if Josh played left foot on bass for a whole gig, why does he claim that he can't use his double pedal?

Anyway, really good drummer, as if it needs saying.

If I could only choose one drummer to hang out with and take a lesson from, it would be Josh. I love his style and sound.

T-1000 said:
Wait a minute...if Josh played left foot on bass for a whole gig, why does he claim that he can't use his double pedal?

Anyway, really good drummer, as if it needs saying.

Josh claim about his double pedal is a joke, watch the Vandals dvd from "The Show Must Go Off!" series that Kung Fu records puts out, it's got a multi-angle feature in which you can watch Josh play the whole time (Freese-cam). It even has a picture in picture of his right foot, where you clearly see his double pedal action too, he's even got a few Lombardo inspired flurries in there. I was actually kind of disappointed because I think he's gotten lazy with his right foot and is milking his double pedal a lot more now. He's a great player but his right foot work isn't on par with Zach Hill's or anything.

It's definitely a good dvd if you're a fan of Josh, and Vandals dvd commentary is always hilarious.

Yeah, awesome cat. He also played drums on the first Evanescence album. Quite the cameleon he is.

Re: FREESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's so freaking awesome. I love his work on the desert sessions stuff and APC.

Re: FREESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That footage is from 'The Vandals: Live at the House of Blues".

Awesome DVD, especially if you're a drummer or like some light-hearted punk.

They have Josh-Freese-Cam, so you can watch him for the whole concert. Good sh*t

Biz

I've been listening APC for quite a while now. But just lately I started to listen more closely to Josh's drumming. And I also checked out his other works.

Right now, he is one of my idols and main influences.

I've been listening APC for quite a while now. But just lately I started to listen more closely to Josh's drumming. And I also checked out his other works.

Right now, he is one of my idols and main influences.

Did you check out ALL his other work? Cause that is seemingly next to impossibly, considering how many different artists he has recorded for.

I'm just givin' ya a hard time. He is awesome and fun to watch and listen to.

Yeah, I know, listening to ALL of them is near impossible, haha!

But yeah, I listened to as much as I could get my hands on. An inspiring drummer.

Mode "bad joke"=ON

ITS STEWART COPELAND!!!!!!

Mode "bad joke"=OFF

John is a great drummer, but he's no Stewart Copeland. Watch the Sting performance on the Live 8 DVD with his other band and you'll see how they bad they are, including Sting, without Stewart and Andy. It looked like John was having a hard time playing Copeland's licks.

John is a great drummer, but he's no Stewart Copeland. Watch the Sting performance on the Live 8 DVD with his other band and you'll see how they bad they are, including Sting, without Stewart and Andy. It looked like John was having a hard time playing Copeland's licks.

Who's John when he's at home?

ok, so I know Josh Freese uses Remo Drum Heads. . .but what model??

thanks,

Coated/Clear Emps for his toms I do believe, not sure of his bass or snare heads though.

The Oct 05 issue of Rhythm had an interview with him bout- his gig with Sting. He uses 8,10,12 toms and 16 floor, with 14" dark crisp hats, 20" dry crisp ride, two 18" full/power crashes and a 19" full crash and 8" and 10" splashes. all paiste sigs btw.

He's a terrific player, I think his creativity is definately his best asset. His work with APC was mind blowing, he suited that band so well. As a session player he gets around as well, I read an interview with him in a Z time back when he still played them which was a great insight into how he approached session work.

The only negitive thing I could say about him is that his technique (from what I've seen) seems to be mostly from the elbows and wrists, though the sounds he produces are still fine, so whatever works I guess.

Back