Are kick drum mics necessary?

pxavier

I found a brand new "Gear One" MK 1000 kick drum mic for $29, free shipping, online and was wondering if I should get one, because I don't have one at the moment.

In certain venues they are. I never heard of the microphone of which you speak though.

Dennis

The specifications look all right, except for the elevated frequency response at 80 cycles, but most people use this "type" of microphone on bass drums regardless. For $29, I probably would buy it. If it works good for you, fine, if not, you didn't lay a lot of money out for it.

Dennis

Your thread title is where the actual question is, it seems to me, and having been playing out live and recording in studios for 30 years, I've never needed my own mics.

So the question becomes, why do you think you need one? I bought one for some home recording years ago and use it from time to time but I don't really use it much. I think for what most drummers are doing, owning one isn't necessary. If you're planning on doing DIY recordings (practice room demos and the like), then maybe yeah. Otherwise... meh.

Your thread title is where the actual question is, it seems to me, and having been playing out live and recording in studios for 30 years, I've never needed my own mics.

So the question becomes, why do you think you need one? I bought one for some home recording years ago and use it from time to time but I don't really use it much. I think for what most drummers are doing, owning one isn't necessary. If you're planning on doing DIY recordings (practice room demos and the like), then maybe yeah. Otherwise... meh.

I agree. If you don't do any DIY things yourself, you don't need one. If you go to a club where they supply the sound for you, they will most likely already have microphones for you to use. Even as a sound guy, when someone shows up with their own stuff, I'm reluctant to use it, unless it's way better than what I already have on hand (and that's super-rare).

I almost picked that one up too. I'll wait for it to pop up on the SDOTD again. Let us know if you got it and how it sounds.

FYI... it's not normally $29

I will say yes, and here is why. My Large kit is set up in my basement and will probably live most of its life there. Poor guy. After playing Roland electronic drums exclusively for 20 years I found the new acoustic kit to be very loud!!!!! To remedy this I got myself a nice little Yamaha Firewire board that I can record with and also run my drum mics into. When I drum now I have my favorite headphones on, with a very safe level of mix, and If I want to add any effects to it I can. Unlike using just hearing protection, I can actually still hear the drums in all there highs and lows, without a muffled effect. If I want to practice to something I just plug my iPhone into the board and mix it in, all at a safe level. Not like when my brother and I were growing up with the stereo maxed out. Then you had the drums, and music at full volume blowing the family and neighborhood away.

I have to disagree w/ MikeM and Bo. (sorry guys!) I own mics and I use them sometimes when I want to mic the kick. I don't get soundmen usually so I have to mic myself when I need help. I think every drummer should have a set up for 3 point micing at the very least. But I wouldn't waste money on cheap stuff. You truly do get what you pay for. I'd say get one, but hold out for the good stuff. Buy once cry once.

You're right when it comes to playing out in original bands, Mike. When I was doing the original band thing, I never needed mics. Sound was always supplied by the venue. Now that I'm in a cover band and we're the only band on stage all night long and we have to bring our own sound with us, I have my own mics.
To some of the guys we hire to bring sound, drum mics are an afterthought. They usually have a halfway decent kick mic but the rest are usually a hodgepodge of leftovers that the sound guy had laying around or picked up in a bargain bin somewhere. Some sound guys have good mics, too, but they never mind if I bring my own. Nine times out of ten, mine are nicer.
Regarding the kick drum mic brought up by the OP, it looks like a knock off of one of EV's kick mics. For $30, you might as well get it. For the price of a couple of drum heads, you'll have a kick mic. Sounds good to me.

I have to disagree w/ MikeM and Bo. (sorry guys!) I own mics and I use them sometimes when I want to mic the kick. I don't get soundmen usually so I have to mic myself when I need help. I think every drummer should have a set up for 3 point micing at the very least. But I wouldn't waste money on cheap stuff. You truly do get what you pay for. I'd say get one, but hold out for the good stuff. Buy once cry once.

Well, I did say the sound man usually provides. If you have no soundman, then obviously you're on your own. And I would do the same in the same situation.

But what our OP really needs is the venerable Electro-Voice RE20 microphone. Then it can do double-duty when he gets a job as a radio announcer too ;)

I have a Kelly Shu mounted in my SQ2 bass and I have a Audix D6 permanently mounted in there as a result. Never had an issue with it and some Engineers want to use their Shure mics instead....no issue, just dont plug mine in the snake and were fine.

F

I don't often have a sound guy at every gig, and even when I do, they sometimes don't have an actual kick mic so I get stuck with a SM58 in my kick. So I bought my own Beta52 and always had a great kick sound out front since. If there's already a mic available, you could use your mic (or theirs) on your floor tom,or the bass cab. If it's cheap enough (and actually decent quality) I say go for it.

Been a AKG D112 in my kick since they came out and for me their the best. They produce the most low end for a mic thats under 250.00 bucks (I think their still 200.) prior to them it was a Syn 421!!! The most all purpose live stage mic ever produced in my opinion. For 29.00 its a piece of junk unless someone priced it incorrectly. Doc

Then buy all means buy it!! I never heard of gear one, it looks like an audix knock off, if you think theres quality in a 39.00 on sale mic for a kick drum jump on it. It WAS on sale? Did they sell out or throw it out? I'll stick with the old egg and if it were to ever fail I have my old 421 in the mic case so its all covered.
My opinion stays the same you don't get quality for 30 or 40 bucks on a kick mic. Just isn't happening. Doc

I've only been playing for five years...but I've needed mics for most of my gigs, so far. I can't imagine how I would have gotten through them without my mics. Sometimes I just mic the kick (and it's a 24x16"!) Sometimes kick and snare...sometimes I have to go full-bore and hang an overhead or two.

I would think that the type of music and the room (or lack thereof) that you're playing, would determine the need. In my skull-fracturing loud rock band...the mics have been a necessity for every gig. For my funk band, I've only needed mics for outdoor gigs. We're regulars at a local bar and I'm the only one in that band who doesn't mic up...with a 20" or 22" kick.

If you're playing a little acoustic jazz gig in a small club or something else requiring less volume, you obviously can live w/o them.

Back