Best Choice of Rods?

Gravy

Hey guys,

I'm in a band in college, and this semester our electric guitarist is abroad so we've folked up our set a bit. I want to get a pair of rods to play with for gigs to soften up the sound a bit. I've looked into a few kinds, but I was wondering which model/brand you all prefer?

Thanks!

I really like the feel of Pro-Mark's rods; what's better, they make them in different weights, so that if the gig unexpectedly gets louder than your rods can handle, you can size up.

Lots of "competition" making this stuff. For what it's worth, my view. Last time I bought "out of a store, I picked up Pro Mark Lightning Rods.​
I had to go into the local Guitar Center, the other day, so I price checked Lightnin' Rods .... $14.99 + 10% sales tax $16.48 ... for 1 pair of Pro Marks.
Next to Pro Marks was Sound Percussion @ $12.99 a pair .... $14.28.​
Now, we have a cat on the forum, works for Jstix. He advertises on Drummerworld, also. So I gave them a try. The deal was, a pair of 7A's and a pair of 5A's, for $10. And $5.50 for shipping. So the Jstix cost me $15.50, and I got 2 pair (7A and 5A)​
Now ... I ain't no rocket sci-en-teeeest .... some might say I'm "dumb as a bag of hammers" .... but seems to me that 2 pairs of sticks for $15.50 is cheaper than $16.48. And even goin' with the Sound Percussion stix, it's like gettin' the second pair, for ...... $1.22. Wow.​
They seem to do "everything" any other set of rod type stick does, so I'm gonna be a Jstix "convert" .... least until their prices go up.​

Agreed, Pro Marks aren't bad at all. I'm personally fond of the "hot rods" model, but I also saw some "cool rods" which are thinner and are closer to resembling a pair of sticks. I'm not to big of a fan of the ones with foam cores though, but to each there own.

I use the Quick Rods which are very light and great for low volume environments. I play "rock" music with them though at bars and venues that would be blown away by real sticks. I find that they do break (no getting around that) and they arent cheap (about 15 bucks a pair). Hot Rods and Lighting rods are great too, but I do like the Quick Rods the best.

I bought a pair of Steve Smith Vic Firth rods (I cant think of the name of them off hand...they are purple). They have foam cores. They are too loud in my opinion so I never use them (probably closer to Thunder Rods in sound).

The only other downside to rods is you cant get a good cross stick sound.

Pacific Blue;766653 I bought a pair of Steve Smith Vic Firth rods (I cant think of the name of them off hand...they are purple). They have foam cores. They are too loud in my opinion so I never use them (probably closer to Thunder Rods in sound). The only other downside to rods is you cant get a good cross stick sound.[/QUOTE said:
I use the Yellow Steve Smith Tala Wands. The Purple pair are stronger and louder.

ProMark Lightning Rods are my favourites. Feels enough like a stick, sounds enough like a brush/quiet stick.
I bought some of these years ago, use them now and again (including entire gigs where 'low volume drums' were needed).
They lasted much longer than I expected! Finally one (yes, only one!) of them wore out recently and I was shocked at how much they cost now - $17 I think... But I still bought a new pair. They're that good! (and now I have three :) )

I've used the Pro-Mark ones in the past but switched to the Vic Firth Rutes with a wooden handle so I could get some sort of cross stick sound or an occasional ride bell accent or something.

I recently tried the plastic bristled ones from VF. They don't sound quite the same as the wood dowels, but they will last just about forever.

The best kind? The kind you can make yourself with some wooden dowels and gaffer's tape. PLUS, you can customize them anyway you want AND it will end up being cheaper than anything you can buy (if you build it to the specs of what's out there already...)

Yep. You can make them for about $2 per pair. I use electrical tape instead of gaffers. I'm gonna have to try that.

Back