Danny Carey

dgsdfs
Togg719 said:
Danny Carey is one of my Favorite drumists he plays in Tool and he did play in a perfect circle.
Honest mistake considering that maynard is in the band.That is the main thing behind tool and apc's message is to learn something new.

finnhiggins said:
Tim Alexander was the original drummer of APC, he played with them during their early live gigs. He left before the record was complete, and was replaced by Josh Freese. On the album he only plays on "The Hollow", which is my favourite bit of drumming on the album. No offence to Josh Freese, his stuff is great too - I just like that track more :)
All three membranoists are exceptionally good percussionists, but what really matters is that they all have they're own style.

drumbig said:
So whats the rumor on the new tool album early next year mabe? Can't wait!!!

I made a post about it a few post above your question. Check it out! The reason that you didn't see it is becuase this thread needed to be merged.

Danny

What to people think of danny carey, i personally love him, am i jaded because i think tool is an unbelivable band, or is he really as good as i think?

one of my favorite drummers (and tool also is one of my favorite bands). I recently heard some tracks by a side-project he did called zaum. there are probably some people here familiar with it otherwise you might want to take a look into this. he did some great work there too (although I didn't really like the vocals as much as I like them from maynard).

I'm attempting to learn Lateralus note-for-note, and man is it hard! The part in the middle, with the opening/closing hi-hats and the four consecutive bass notes, requires a proficient degree of independence and timing. Insane stuff, not to mention that I'm also incoroporating the breakdown Danny does at the end of the song in the Jeff Ocheltree DVD (which also happens to be here on the site).

He's such an amazing drummer. Whether you label him under hard rock, prog, or experimental, he's still one of the drumming greats of this decade. His understanding of odd time signatures, his ability to vary grooves and patterns in the middle of songs, his sense of phrasing and technical proficiency... amazing. Just amazing. One of my favorite drummers right now, and he's earned it!

Sticksman said:
I'm attempting to learn Lateralus note-for-note, and man is it hard! The part in the middle, with the opening/closing hi-hats and the four consecutive bass notes, requires a proficient degree of independence and timing. Insane stuff, not to mention that I'm also incoroporating the breakdown Danny does at the end of the song in the Jeff Ocheltree DVD (which also happens to be here on the site).

I always found the verse right at the beginning one of the hardest bits. The five-against-six bit in the middle is quite tricky, but once you get it the pattern is relatively short and you've just got to stay tight. But the verse has all kinds of bizarre tom patterns wandering across barlines and all sorts of things.

There's nothing I can say about Danny Carey that hasn't already been said. He is probably the most creative, powerful, and technically proficient drummer of the modern age. He is, and will continue to be, my biggest inspiration to play drums.

He's definitely among the greats, but I think that's some pretty lofty praise. There are super technical drummers abound, and I think it gets damn hard when you're at that level to say hey - this guy is better than that one. Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, Nick Barker are all guys who I'd say give him a run for his money.

Umm dude firstly, Danney is doing all the percussion in the intro to Eulogy....Adam plucking the guitar over and over....i dunno if that sounds like a ducksound to you but whatever.....and then Maynard is making that 'bup bup' sound through a hair drier.....if you dont believe me download a live bootleg clip of the song and see for yourself....thought id just clear that up for you guys.....Cheers(btw i signed up to this website just to post that....hahaha i couldnt let such misknowledge be passed on!)

finnhiggins said:
The thing that sounds like a duck is Maynard with a megaphone, if you listen carefully you can hear he's actually singing a sustained note the whole time and then pulling those loud notes out by pressing the megaphone button.

Adam is playing too, he's doing the:

Code:
1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a
xxxx  xxxx  xxxx

... type rhythm (can't remember if that's exactly it). He plays it on the guitar behind the bridge, if I recall. It's most certainly not all Danny.

Danny Carey's playing on Lateralus is some of my favorite stuff. Very cool use of toms, monster bass drum work, just excellent.

I wish his website offered a little more insight and was varied a little. It's like, okay, I get it, you think Aleister Crowley is really cool, how 'bout some stuff related to music?

Anyway, I look forward to hearing more from this guy.

TOMANO

Danny Carey at MD fest?

i thought he and one other drummer were going to be on the mdfest... i dont know, i may be making a mistake.

Re: Danny Carey at MD fest?

He played at the festival but his PR wouldnt let him be on the DVD. I dont know the whole story, pretty mysterious.

Re: Danny Carey at MD fest?

id give an arm and a leg to see that performance!!!

A new dream has come to reality: Tool are touring again and they are coming this summer to Europe. I'll see them at Rock Im Park in Germany and at Interlaken Switzerland (same fest than DW's video of Terry Bozzio with Fantomas). HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY!! Favourite band, one of my favourite drummer grrrr that's some nasty news.

Danny Carey- Genius or completely insane?

The following is an excerpt from Danny's bio on the Tool web page-

Despite not becoming a Mason or aligning himself with any other school of religion, Danny has maintained his heritages interest in occult studies. Endeavors into this realm have manifested periodically, such as the time he achieved insight into a hidden aspect of the unicursal hexagram utilizing an astral journey initiated through meditation and DMT. Danny then set up his drums into proportions utilizing the circle and square of the New Jerusalem and uttered a short prayer relating to the principles of the ace of swords from the book of Thoth. He then performed a ritual utilizing his new found knowledge of the unicursal hexagram to generate a pattern of movement in space relating to Fuller's vector equilibrium model. The resulting rhythm and gateway summoned a daemon he has contained within "the Lodge" that has been delivering short parables similar to passages within the Book of Lies. Danny recommends as a device of protection and containment a thorough study and utilization of the underlying geometry of the Temple of Solomon for anyone purchasing their next record.

Now, I think the guy is a good drummer and all, but geez! A sane drummer of his caliber might list the influences of the greats that came before him, he might even explain the importance of practice and study of different styles, but Danny has a deadringer that he has so kindly shared with all the young fans out there. His playing style can be accredited to a "daemon he has contained within the Lodge".

Now kids, be careful before you try this at home. Be sure to get that handy dandy protection and containment device. A thorough study and utilization of the underlying geometry of the Temple of Solomon is required. Good luck with the "daemon"!

I'm going to go ahead and vote- insane.

Re: Danny Carey- Genius or completely insane?

I am under the impression you are not getting the joke? I am not the biggest Tool fan or am i the greatest Danny Carey fan. When reading his passage...do not take it so seriously. The essence of Tool, in my opinion, that it is group of "Andy Kauffmans." They like to have fun through odd "dry humor" jokes. By doing this they leave the fans in confusion pondering one question: "is this for real, or a joke." So in the end, to call Danny Carey "insane" is a little premature. Have a little fun, and try not to take the things they say too seriously.

Be original, BigLeagueChew

Back