So....who do you like?

DW
Gretsch
Ludwig
Mapex
Pearl
Tama
other

Quality for the money, sound, features, hardware, finish.

Mapex

Ludwig.

Why? I bought into the "romanticism" from the time I first drew breath. The old man played 'em. I've loved them since I was a kid.....to my ear they are "what drums sound like".

All that's left now is to save the ridiculous amount that a set a Classic Maples will cost me in Aussie dollars........and wait to inherit the vinatge set that the old man still holds dear.

One day, Stickit....one day!! :)

Drum Poll ...

You rang? :)

I've only had an Aria, a Pearl (before they were any good), a Rogers (for most of my drumming life) and, now, a Pearl Rhythm Traveller.

So I don't know much about gear, but the Rogers kit was easily the best kit I've had so I'll give it my vote.

Sleishman and Spirit Drums interest me for the uniqueness...

...but since I own a Tama Superstar I would say that Tama has great quality for price, hardware is really solid and if I had the time and money I could make my set sound pro.

I've played alot of 'em over the years, and of course I'm going to say "Tama" because that's what I've just recently acquired.

However, as I did my research back into the company that I originally bought into back in 1984, I'm coming up with "Tama" all over again, simply because they're a complete drum company.

Of course, I also view Yamaha and Pearl that way too, but Tama really did it first. They have top flight hardware, regular drums, snare drums....you know how some people buy a Ludwig snare, but they'll have another kit? Or a Gretsch kit, but they use DW pedals? I think in Tama's case, you could have them outfit everything you need, and it will be good.
Sonor's the same way. But for me Tama edges them out, too.

The Pro Drum Shop in Hollywood literally started their business back in the '50s based on the fact that you could customize your set however you wanted. People loved Ludwig drums, but they hated that rail consolette tom mount. So along comes Pro Drum and they tell the customer, you can pick your drums, and your hardware, and we'll put it together for you. And that's how it used to be. Along comes Tama, and the need to 'mix and match' suddenly becomes a thing of the past because everything they made was good! Funny, eh?

Pearl.

ShutupyoustupidtwentycharacterlimitI'mtiredandcan'ttihnkofanything.

Ludwig is my dream.............since I was a toddler.

Available in the local market to buy are: Yamaha, Mapex, DW, Pearl, Tama.

I'm partial to Tama. I've played the same Granstar kit since '87. The hardware is still strong and the kit sounds great. I've added a few Tama snares to the "collection" as well as a few Iron Cobras.

Sleishman and Spirit Drums interest me for the uniqueness...

...but since I own a Tama Superstar I would say that Tama has great quality for price, hardware is really solid and if I had the time and money I could make my set sound pro.

Thanks!

Boutique drums don't cost any more than top-of-the-line mass produced drums. They just don't have the marketing budget and they have less overhead.

I have played Tamas and I agree, they are fine drums. Really, at their different price points, all the major manufacturers are comparable. They have to be, because they're competing with each other.

Boutique makers aren't competing with anyone so they can pursue a truly different method, material or creative/artistic approach. Kind of like the difference between a covers vs. originals band.

Well Tama fans... I started with a swingstar then a granstar and I too still love the brand. It is, I agree a complete offering. Love my vintage Gretsch for the sheer BOOM BOOM factor.
However, nothing comes close to what I like to hear and see as my DW's, expensive? Yes, but as I've said too many times on here, worth every penny.
BUT - SHOCK HORROR...!!!!
My next Kits a Craviotto....
Go figure ;-)

Zickos, but not for the hardware. I understand the new stuff is much better if you can find them.

Mapex gets my vote however I do have a MASSIVE soft spot for Pearl Session drums...one of the best kits made ever IMO :D

I currently play Pearl and absolutely love their drums and hardware...but as soon as i get some money together i will get me a Tama kit. It seems like everytime i play one of their kits( no certain one, they all sound good to me) i love them more and more.

Tama gets my vote.

Back