Ludwig 70's Kit just restored but can anyone help with tom slippage?

Robzildjian

I've just completed restoration of a 70's maple ludwig kit. It looks great in black sparkle with a white retro bass head. It also sounds awesome. I'll post some pictures soon. The only problem I have is that the toms on the bass post slip whilst playing. It is the normal 70's twin bass drum post with silver Ludwig against black in the centre. Has anyone else encountered this? Does anyone know of a way to fix it? Many thanks guys.

Cool set! Are you saying that the mounts on your toms are slipping on the stock "L-arm" tom holders?
I ve had a similar problem but before I go further, explain exactly whats going on,,,

For instance; the factory-mounted recievers on my toms wore out, leaving a weak point of contact between the two, I replaced the tom mounts and they held together tightly after that...Is that what you re saying? There are a few different ways to fi this problem.

Hey thanks for the quick response my friend. That is exactly the problem and the eyebolts etc look pretty worn. So if I replace the tom brackets with new ones you think that should fix it?

Would a set of small memory locks help hold the toms solid (on th L arms)? Does anyone know of where i could find them to fit?

Would a set of small memory locks help hold the toms solid (on th L arms)? Does anyone know of where i could find them to fit?

A memory lock or two could hold the tom securely on the tom mount post, but only from slipping up and down. It won't prevent the side-to-side slippage. I'm pretty sure Ludwig doesn't make a memory lock that seats into the standard tom mount. If they did, THAT would probably solve your problem.

Are you trying to restore it to a collectable condition? If not, I would recommend a RIMS or RIMS-like suspension mount. Not only would it allow the shell to really resonate (the mount on these old Ludwigs really kills most of the resonance), but it would include a memory lock for the mounting bracket...no more slippage! Lots o' mo' resonance!!!

Hi there, I need to know where can I buy vintage parts for ludwig, I'm going to restore a 70's clear Vistalite drumset, but i have no idea where to get all the parts new

anyone?

...... I would recommend a RIMS or RIMS-like suspension mount. Not only would it allow the shell to really resonate (the mount on these old Ludwigs really kills most of the resonance), but it would include a memory lock for the mounting bracket...no more slippage! Lots o' mo' resonance!!!
I'll second this, 'cause I've been doing it for 10+ years. I'm partial to Yamaha hardware, so all my RIMS (10, 12, 13, 14) have Yamaha tom mounts on them. Most vintage drums can benefit from a more modern mounting system. Keep the factory hardware, in case you ever sell the drums, you re-install. The RIMS, I've used on Gretsch, Slingerland, Ludwig, Rogers.....even Remo Rototoms.

The new Ludwig Classic mount includes the 'slot' for the memory lock.

But, you could save money on buying a whole mount, or hassle on eBay by just replacing the eye bolt.

That's the piece that needs replacing.

The part number on the eye bolt is P-1632

If you need the wing nut too (instead of the hex nut), that part number is P-3903 Female T handle.

The part number for the whole mount is P-1216-D.

It's not that expensive a piece at all.
It lists at less than $20 (it's 16 or 18 bucks list) so don't let some shop screw you by charging you like 25 or 30 bucks.

Ludwig is very reasonably priced on all their parts (and drums too) compared to other companies, and it's rare they don't have something in stock.

Nice kit BTW, so post some pics! Black sparkle is a cool finish!

Back