John Bonham

If John Bonham were alive today I think he would be embarassed of all of this worship of him that is going on. Everything that I have read about him he appeared to be a very laid back and a humble man . He would never claim to be the greatest drummer of all time, he was absolutely amazed by Buddy Rich and Billy Cobham just to name a few. Was he a technical wizard? No. But the style that he created was incredible and only he could play like that. He was for the most part self taught, never studied but had a natural ability that was complete genius. He was my biggest influence and the reason why I became a drummer. Do I think he was the greatest of all time? Of course not, but his playing moved me and spoke to me. Considering his background of not being a trained musician and cutting out a piece of music history for himself is a great testiment of the mans talent, and skill. John Bonham along with Bill Ward of Black Sabbath and Ian Paice were pioneers of what we now consider to be hard rock/Heavy Metal drumming. Are there drummers in this style of music that have surpassed the three drummers previously mentioned? Yes, and there will be others. But they would not be where they are today without the guys like Bonham who paved the way.

Re: John Bonham Fans

rendezvous_drummer said:
that there is a cigarette in his mouth
RD, priceless quote. Bravo.

Well I've owned 3 drumsets with a 14x12 hanging tom, and that looks to be the same proportions. It definitely ISN'T a 14x10.

Perhaps it is a 15, but you guys definitely have no credibility claiming so assuredly that it is for sure a 15. Just because you think of Bonham and his big sound doesn't mean the drum is a big 15 like you want it to be.

I watched the Zeppelin DVD with that kit, and it appears to be the same size as his snare, which I'm going to guess is NOT 15". But hey, what do I know?

Has anyone tried asking the Ochletree guy on here?

Well certainly I'm not claiming anything for certain, other than this debate has been going on for about 20 years. I know in the DVD Bonham's wearing a tank top. And Paul was barefoot crossing the street so he must be dead.

Last edited:

Stu_Strib said:
Well I've owned 3 drumsets with a 14x12 hanging tom, and that looks to be the same proportions. It definitely ISN'T a 14x10.

Perhaps it is a 15, but you guys definitely have no credibility claiming so assuredly that it is for sure a 15. Just because you think of Bonham and his big sound doesn't mean the drum is a big 15 like you want it to be.

I watched the Zeppelin DVD with that kit, and it appears to be the same size as his snare, which I'm going to guess is NOT 15". But hey, what do I know?

Has anyone tried asking the Ochletree guy on here?

It's a 12" x 14" tom. I am pretty certain he did not use a 15" tom until the stainless steel kit.

pcmckay said:
It's a 12" x 14" tom. I am pretty certain he did not use a 15" tom until the stainless steel kit.

yes exactly people....thats what ive been trying to say....i gave u guys proof before from a guy from the ludwig company...just look back at page 13.

pcmckay said:
If John Bonham were alive today I think he would be embarassed of all of this worship of him that is going on.
Maybe some the worship bothered him when he was alive too? I don't know, but things did seem to eat away at him off the bandstand.

firesticks sent me this PM and then dropped off the map:

first i was told that this site is built around 16 year olds
and it sure shows it. 2 i'm a pro drummer and i dont owe
you or anybody on this site any explanations PERIOD! This
site isn't for mature musicians/drummers. i simply stated my opinion: Alex Van Halen is without any doubt a better drummer than John Bonham.

smells worse than under a billy goat's bridge.

j

firesticks said:
one of the most overrated drummers on earth.

this is trolling if i ever saw it

a) no info to back up his opinion

b) leaves after hes shut down by nutha

definately not overrated, he always played what zepplin songs needed, not using a band as a platform to show off. he changed the drumset for sure. people wanted bigger,double kit sets,gongs you name it after seeing him.

i think his influence is like hendrix, its so sublime that some people dont notice it. when you walk into the guitar center drumroom and hear someone play splits<tom,tom,bass,bass. real fast> or do a simple but loud triplet roll around the toms its like, you know bodham didnt invents these things but just stamped them into every drummers unconsious. thats the way i feel.

his playing was the impetus for metal drumming. his emphisis for a louder, more aggressive style and playing basic but incredibly solid beats and fills<for the most part, there are however moments where he rips during song> can be heard in lombardo and ulrich and alot of early thrash drummers and still carrys on to the more extreme drummers

bonham isn't one of the MOST overrated drummers, but i do think he is a bit overratted by certain people. too many people spurt out claims like "bonham is god" and "there has never been or never will be a better rock drummer" and thats an overratted claim to make about any drummer.
but on the list of overratted drummers, bonham wouldn't make it to the top 100,000.

low-tech said:
definately not overrated, he always played what zepplin songs needed, not using a band as a platform to show off. he changed the drumset for sure. people wanted bigger,double kit sets,gongs you name it after seeing him.

i think his influence is like hendrix, its so sublime that some people dont notice it. when you walk into the guitar center drumroom and hear someone play splits<tom,tom,bass,bass. real fast> or do a simple but loud triplet roll around the toms its like, you know bodham didnt invents these things but just stamped them into every drummers unconsious. thats the way i feel.

his playing was the impetus for metal drumming. his emphisis for a louder, more aggressive style and playing basic but incredibly solid beats and fills<for the most part, there are however moments where he rips during song> can be heard in lombardo and ulrich and alot of early thrash drummers and still carrys on to the more extreme drummers
Very well put. I totally agree on the analogy with hendrix, as well.

NUTHA JASON said:
firesticks sent me this PM and then dropped off the map:

smells worse than under a billy goat's bridge.

j

How hilarious. He's saying this website is built around 16 year olds and proves his immaturity by not being able to explain his opinion. I love people like this, they make my life worth living.

i think theres too many peolpe here anyway that just say "yeah, well you're just a teenager. harumph!" when they can't think up a valid defence.
i was watching the zeepelin dvd again. thats a high tomtom he plays on. i don't think i could manage it that high.

ewanlaing said:
i think theres too many peolpe here anyway that just say "yeah, well you're just a teenager. harumph!" when they can't think up a valid defence.
i was watching the zeepelin dvd again. thats a high tomtom he plays on. i don't think i could manage it that high.
I think its because there are a number of people our age who seem more like imbeciles than most. They're the ones who are into all this ridiculous fan boy stuff and act like they are experts on every subject, even to the point of standing down obviously more experienced people. I think one of the reasons a genius like elvin4ever left forums was because he got tired of arguing with people who should have been listening to him instead.

Now does this mean there aren't some ridiculous older people on this forum? You bet there are. But as in life they get a pass and we don't. I accepted this a long time ago and just keep going. If you know your stuff about a certain matter they have to listen to you sooner or later.

That "firesticks" cat was somethin' special, that's for sure. Tried his best at rousting my ire on an Alex Van Halen thing. And it's so funny, 'cause I'm from Pasadena and only a few years younger than the Van Halen's, seen them so many times for free in the early 70's and if there's anything I know about, it's about Van Halen. I was buyin' rock albums the same time they were, and a month later they were doin' covers off that album. So I think I might know what influences Alex had. A buddy of mine was the cat who turned then on to the song "Ice Cream Man". Yeah, that "firesticks" dude, wow.

ewanlaingi think theres too many peolpe here anyway that just say "yeah, well you're just a teenager. harumph!" when they can't think up a valid defence.

and in fact i really like the way teens think. they aren't always the stereotypical teenager. many teens are open minded, fresh eared, serious people who lack the crippling ego of the adult who has seen it all and will not change.

Quote from a PM:
Originally Posted by firesticks
hey man from one drummer to the next i find that alex van halen has a much better grove than bonham also his timing was and is dam near perfect, listen to the songs and you will here more than one stye of playing in his music everything from metal,jazz blues and swing, i have found that bonham mostly stays in a comfort zone of one style. there is a drum solo on van halens cd balance, listen to it. if you would put it on the site. i'm not bashing bonham i'm just stating as an all around drummer alex vh is by far the superior drummer.
great country you live in i was in london 4 years a go for 2 months.

you are entitled to your opinions. but as admin of this site i have seen plenty of hero worshippers come and go. i love alex's drumming and bonzo's. bonham plays very differnet grooves across a broad spectrum of styles. he is very versatile ... i think your knowledge, based on your earlier posts, of his playing is very limited. i think it is wrong to rank and compare drummers in the way that you do. bonham died, alex is still alive...its a bit of a disadvantage. bonham influences more drummers today than alex does.
calm down on the alex is the superior drummer stuff and accept that bonham is as great as most people say he was.

j

NUTHA JASON said:
Originally Posted by firesticks
hey man from one drummer to the next i find that alex van halen has a much better grove than bonham also his timing was and is dam near perfect, listen to the songs and you will here more than one stye of playing in his music everything from metal,jazz blues and swing, i have found that bonham mostly stays in a comfort zone of one style.

bonham only has one style....how is that possible...ask him this.,...

do any of the following grooves in these songs sonund similar at all
-achilles last stand
-fool in the rain
-i cant quit you baby
-the rover
-going to califronia

----------------------------------------------------------------

-achilles last stand - metal/hard rock groove
-fool in the rain- shuffle groove
- i cant quit you baby - blues groove
-the rover - solid groove
-going to california - no groove