PDP Maple and Birch Concept drums

Mike St.Clair

Looks like there's another kit available in the "affordable" drums category. The birch kit comes in only two finishes, but the maple is offered in 6. They look to have a lot of "DW inspired" hardware. Made overseas under DW's supervision. Appear to have the lugs from one of their special editions of the last few years, which is a good thing. I've seen the 7 pc kit for $899, 6 pc for $839 in maple, so quite affordable. Looking forward to hearing reviews of the sound.
Features listed here http://www.pacificdrums.com/drums/concept/features.asp

Yeah I'm looking forward to checking out one of these new Concept kits. In the market for a new intermediate $ kit, and weighing Catalina Maples, X7's, Mapex Meridian Maples, waiting for these, or spending a few more $ getting a Mapex MyDentity kit. Decisions, decisions....

I wonder about those mydentity kits soundwise. You can only expect so much customization AND quality for $1000.

These look to be nice at their price point. They are indeed manufactured offshore under DW's supervision. The lugs are the same dual turret lug currently found on the DWPS snare drums. The PDPCS also has die-cast claws, STMs, and True Pitch Tension Rods. They are not readily available yet, but I have seen them on-line at $650US for a 5 pc. shell pack.

Love DW's passion for drums and innovative shell design... but their streak of hideous looking lugs continues....

I like the lugs and the tom mounts. The 6 piece in maple is a good price with a 10 ply snare. Oh yeah and the mag style snare throw off.
The CM 6 is that reddish burgundy color is a winner. did a Gretsch guy really say that.?

Thanks, that was where I heard it. Couldn't remember.

Midwest Percussion has them and they usually have a minimum 15% off coupon code too.

Thanks for answering.

Is DW having their own production plant in asia, or do they outsource it to a OEM manufacturer?

Thanks for answering.

Is DW having their own production plant in asia, or do they outsource it to a OEM manufacturer?

Well.. ol' John Good says they "supervise" it.. so that tells me it is not their own. Sonor says the same thing of the KHS products..

Back