PS3 Muffeling

LedFoot65

Head Questions with no end...
Hey gang I'm going to put brand new heads on my 22 inch birch kick a Clear PS3 on the batter and a PS3 ebony with a 5inch hole on front.Could I get a FAT KICK IN THE CHEST SOUND without any muffeling? If NOT can you give me some advice on muffiling.

When I used PS3s I would place an Evans EQ pad against the front head and the Remo Dave Weckl muffle thingy against the batter. Tune the batter slightly higher than normal. From out front this will give you a nice fat punchy sound.

Hey gang I'm going to put brand new heads on my 22 inch birch kick a Clear PS3 on the batter and a PS3 ebony with a 5inch hole on front.Could I get a FAT KICK IN THE CHEST SOUND without any muffeling? If NOT can you give me some advice on muffiling.

I use that exact setup on my M-Birch kit. I use the small end of an EQ Pad against the batter and that's it. Sounds great in the room and mics love it.

You can with that combo, and with the hole that big, you can experiment with where you'd want the pad.
I'd say it's good to use one of those EQ pads, even if it's just on the bottom of the shell because it'll cancel any sounds reflecting around that you don't want getting picked up by a mic.

Thanks guys has anybody tried felt?

I believe Steve Smith is using felt with PS3 batters of late. Haven't heard him with that combo though.

I like the eq pad though because its so much easier to adjust since you don't have to pull and retune the head everytime

I would use some thin felt on the reso side to take care of some of the 'basketball' pingy sounds that can come from having pre-muffled heads on both sides. Maybe place a 2" strip about 4" from one side to avoid choking the head. Placing it farther to the center may kill the sound on a 22" kick.

Don't be afraid to tune the reso up a bit to achieve more punch. Many people just tune kick heads barely past the wrinkled stage, which doesn't allow the drum to achieve enough volume.

I believe Steve Smith is using felt with PS3 batters of late. Haven't heard him with that combo though.

I like the eq pad though because its so much easier to adjust since you don't have to pull and retune the head everytime

He uses the felt in his instructional video Drumset technique and history of the US beat. Sounds really good. I just got some felt to put under my PS3 batter just haven't had time or the good arm to do so.

The thing to know about PS3s is that they do not sound their best at a JAW tuning, where many drummers tune for miking. PS3s sound much better a little bit above JAW.

With PS3s front and rear, no port and nothing in the drum, I tune the reso just up to where it begins to have some bottom end and sustain. Then I tune the batter a smidge higher.

This drum is very loud unmiked. If you want less sustain, just keep going up a bit with the batter head. As you raise the tension you can hear the sustain lessen as you go.

Back