Tre' Cool

I think Tre is a pretty good drummer, not the best out there, but still good for Green Day's genre, I really like his work in Homecoming and St. Jimmy.

I deff think that Tre cool is a great drummer. It doesnt matter if he can pull of the amazing fill or just keep time. Whatever he does has obviously made Green day popular. Alot of people say they could play his drum parts and i bet they could. But the question is could you have created those parts? For example, chances are if most people heard the song American idiot without the drum part i think most people would have played it differently and left out his bass drum on everybeat during the verse. These little, simple rythems during the song fit perfectly and make there songs catchy and easy to remeber.

worse still, they might have kept playing a beat in the bass drum parts. i think you're right in that most drummers wouldn't have the guts just to play the bass drum beats, they would want to show off.

LiquidSoul546 said:
Alright, this is a drummers thread, and i don't want to argue but discuss this guys talent factor. I mean, how is he such a great drummer? I am wondering this because i can see what he plays is all so simple, and if he is sponsered why not you, or any other drummer that can belt out 1 and 3 on bass drum, 2 and 4 snare, with eighth note highats. He's sponsered cause he is in a popular band. And he's a "great" because he's in a popular band. if someone could prove me wrong i'd like to hear.
Thanks
P.S, don't get mad at me if you like him, i totaly respect if you like the band, and love what he does.
Peace

Tré Cool page on DrummerWorld

he's been drumming since he was 3 yrs.old! (but he started professional at 12)
no offense but don't you think if someone was drumming for so long that they would be able to play more diffuclt things?

I agree.

You shouldn't judge someone simply on what he plays in a band.

If he's been playing for that long, i'd guess he has some skills too :)

One of the better Drummers out there.
Just watching him on stage is amazing, he makes himself seen on stage, in a way that not many other drummers can.
Some of the stuff he says off stage has me in stiches aswell.
Simple as.

gd_trecool1972 said:
he's been drumming since he was 3 yrs.old! (but he started professional at 12)
no offense but don't you think if someone was drumming for so long that they would be able to play more diffuclt things?
Sure, you would think that, but have you ever heard him play anything difficult. I listen to Vinnie Colaiuta and Im like man that was awesome and hes doing polyrhythms and paradiddles over triplets and crazy stuff all over the place (on his side project stuff) but Ive never heard Tre Cool do anything like that. Sure his playing fits the music, but lets hear him do something else. I never have, but maybe I just havent heard him play on anything but Green Day. And lets be realistic, does anyone really think he deserved all those Drummies from DRUM!? I didnt.

i watched bullet in the bible, and at one point tre and mike have a nice little jazz thing goin on. tre is very tasteful at this section, but it is by no means just 1 and 3 on bass with 2 and 4 on snare. tre can play, you better beleive it. it doesn't matter if you can play what he can play, cos he can do it without thinking.

ewanlaing said:
i watched bullet in the bible, and at one point tre and mike have a nice little jazz thing goin on. tre is very tasteful at this section, but it is by no means just 1 and 3 on bass with 2 and 4 on snare. tre can play, you better beleive it. it doesn't matter if you can play what he can play, cos he can do it without thinking.
Huh? How do you know?

i can read minds!
no, but he doesn't seem to concentrate on what he's doing at all on stage. i at least have to look at my drums sometimes. my point was that it seems as easy to him as the simplest beat, no mattter what speed he's moving at. sorry, i came off kinda pretentious in my last post.

brittc89 said:
Sure, you would think that, but have you ever heard him play anything difficult. I listen to Vinnie Colaiuta and Im like man that was awesome and hes doing polyrhythms and paradiddles over triplets and crazy stuff all over the place (on his side project stuff) but Ive never heard Tre Cool do anything like that. Sure his playing fits the music, but lets hear him do something else. I never have, but maybe I just havent heard him play on anything but Green Day. And lets be realistic, does anyone really think he deserved all those Drummies from DRUM!? I didnt.

Actually, yeah, i think he deserves it. He is an inspiration for lots of young (and older) drummers out there.

And you shouldn't underestimate finding drums that fit the music. His drums are part of what make Green Day a great band.

his drumming skills are not great, but he is like the bon jovi drummer, the stuff he does is simple, and it sounds good, he makes simple stuff sound good, because of this you can not argue about how good he is, i have not seen him at his best. to prove my point i looked at american idiot (song not album) he uses some magnificent sounding fills which are so simple. but the size of him helps, he drums so quickly, despite having a poor technique. this is because of his giant muscles!!!

i think hes definetly the best punk drummr in the history of punk/grundge. and the way he plays the drums may look simple but the way he plays them and the simple notes he uses makes them sound awezhome

drummkidz said:
i think hes definetly the best punk drummr in the history of punk/grundge. and the way he plays the drums may look simple but the way he plays them and the simple notes he uses makes them sound awezhome

Wow there...i wouldn't say that he's the best punk drummer ever :)

In terms of making interesting beats, Travis Barker tops him, and i know other punkrockdrummers that also top him.

But in terms of finding the best drum parts to go with the rest of the music, yeah, he's pretty good in that. But then again, he mostly plays a simple hihat/snare/bass beat, and that's bound to go along with everything :)

i think if i were the drummer for green day, i might do less fills. does anyone else think the same? i'm interested to see what different people would do with the music.

ewanlaing said:
i think if i were the drummer for green day, i might do less fills. does anyone else think the same? i'm interested to see what different people would do with the music.

I'd do less of the same fills.

ewanlaing said:

I wouldn't change a thing :)

Stu_Strib said:
Tre has a lot of Fan Worship, so he gets way too much credit. His playing is solid and fits the music, but he won't be blowing away the Modern Drummer Festivals anytime soon.

He obviously had to work to get fan worship..it's not like he got it over night, hes been playin in green day for many years and people obviously like him because he's music fits in the genre, and still sound amazing, i mean if you compare other bands to green day, you'll see that there not trying to overshadowed each other like some other punk/rock bands do (no names here), i think Tré deserves the credit he gets cause he did work for it!

gd_trecool1972 said:
He obviously had to work to get fan worship..it's not like he got it over night, hes been playin in green day for many years and people obviously like him because he's music fits in the genre, and still sound amazing, i mean if you compare other bands to green day, you'll see that there not trying to overshadowed each other like some other punk/rock bands do (no names here), i think Tré deserves the credit he gets cause he did work for it!

I agree with you 100%. I would mention though that most of his fan base was not built on his playing ability. That isn't how pop-music works. The best musicians are never the most popular.

Even though I have seen ZERO progression in his playing from Dookie to American Idiot, I still like Green Day and love his drum sound and parts. I think he plays the same fill too much, but his playing other than that is killer sounding!

Back