Carter Beauford

FWIW, I went to two DMB concerts this summer where he had coated Remo heads on and his drums (the toms in particular) sounded like crap, really dead. The Evans were so much better.

I have seen DMB on tour since he started using the coated heads and I think they are MUCH better sounding than the clears. They are SO much deeper and warm sounding. But, different strokes for different folks!

hola soy un baterista argentino y queria que sepas toda mi admiracion, lo mucho que has influido en la musica que toco y tambien como material de estudio, mis saludos y admiracion. Diego

Is there a transcription of, or does anyone know what he does, Carters roll 8:42 minutes into 'Jimi Thing' on the live Chicago CD? I've tried to get it and am not even close. HELP!

I heard from my teacher (who knows Beauford) that the reason Carter seems like a lefty is that when he was a kid and was inspired to drum from some Buddy Rich videos, he reversed his own set to match what he saw on the screen!

Funny thing there... SRV did the same thing with Hendrix.
-E

Recently been listening to alot of DMB. Love their music, and even more so, love Carter Beauford's drumming! Absolutely phenomenal.

Sick hi-hat licks. Btw I have a question which I really need to get answered. When you guys refer to the 4stroke roll lick he does, is it the herta? Or is it the triplet one that goes like 1-trip-let-n-trip-let-2?

Recently been listening to alot of DMB. Love their music, and even more so, love Carter Beauford's drumming! Absolutely phenomenal.

Sick hi-hat licks. Btw I have a question which I really need to get answered. When you guys refer to the 4stroke roll lick he does, is it the herta? Or is it the triplet one that goes like 1-trip-let-n-trip-let-2?

It's a herta. That's Beauford's "go-to", but he voices it in so many ways it's hard to recognize sometimes.

He poorly refers to it as a 4-stroke roll in his "Under the Table and Drumming" video, but it's forgivable as he performs it perfectly.

Carter switches to Vic Firth Sticks

Hey everyone,

Not sure if all you Carter fans noticed that he switched to using Vic Firth sticks.

Here's the link to the press release. There are a couple of great videos of Carter playing from their fall tour.

http://www.vicfirth.com/exchange/2011/03/28/vic-firth-welcomes-carter-beauford-to-the-family/

Obviously he has his own signature model that is practically identical to his former stick manufacturer, a 5B with an extended taper and bigger tip.

Do you think Carter can play such off beats so well because he is plays with his left hand on the hi-hats and right on the snare? Do you think that might have anything to do with him really good on the hats or is that just a quintessence? Just curious. I love his style.

Carter's Hi-Hat work

Hi all.

Maybe somebody here can help me with this.

I'm sure there is a name for this technique ... where you hit a barely-open hi-hat and the kick at the same time, and immediately close the hats. ... psst

Anyhow, it seems Carter sometimes does this while both feet are busy on the kick pedals.
For that matter, it often seems like he continues to play his hats w/both feet busy on the kicks.

Anybody got any idea how he does that?
Does he just have hats with a week spring and he's knocking 'em slightly open with the stick?
Is he getting that left foot over to the hh pedal for a split second just in time?
Does he play with hats that are nearly closed all the time, anyway?

Anybody know what I'm talking about and/or can shine any light on this?

Many Thanks,
wd

He probably uses his left foot half on the hi hat pedal and half on the bass pedal. At least thats what I do! You need both pedals really close to do this..and allot of practice.

imo the best drummer ever, i know you will all say no he isnt how about bla, and bla and mr bla, but imo carter is to me the best drummer i have ever heard, his pocket is flawless, his chops and flawless and his creativity is so amazing

Carter Beauford on the Drums ! Carter Beauford on the Drums ! Carter Beauford on the Drums !

Only Dave hardcore fans will get my last quote !!

I want to say thats the ending of Halloween from the Recently album, his big drum solo at the end!!!

Now I'm probably gonna get crucified here, but I guess I'm old school. I like Carter, and I respect his style, but there is one thing that annoys me. He comes out full guns blasting the entire show. I wonder sometimes if he is serving the song. Like I said , that's the old school in me, what I feel is #1, serving the song, and then unleash your fury, or fist of fury or even balls of fury. I was listening to a radio personality here in Chicago, and he mentioned the same thing, and I agree with him, saying that the 'WOW' factor is gone by the second song, because he comes at you with everything. Again my opinion, but that doesn't make him any less a great drummer, which is what he is anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back