Zildjian A Custom 20" Ride
Zildjian A Custom 14" Crash
Zildjian A Custom 16" Crash
Zildjian A Custom 18" Crash
Zildjian A Custom 8" Splash
Zildjian A Custom 10" Splash
Zildjian A Custom 18" China

Hardware:

Bass Drum Pedal (x2 single): Gibraltar Intruder Direct Drive / Tama Iron Cobra Flexiglide / Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive / DW 5000 Accelerator / Axis XL Longboards / PDP B.O.A.
Hi Hat Stand: Gibraltar Ultra-Adjust no-leg hi hat stand
Snare Stand: PDP 800 Snare Stand
Hi Hat Clamp: Tama Hi Hat Attachment Clamp
Rack: Pearl ICON 3-sided rack (6 clamps)
Cymbal Arms: Gibraltar Ratchet Boom Arm x3, Gibraltar Long Boom Arm x2 (for splashes)
Throne: Roc n' Soc Original

Heads:

Evans G Plus Coated Fusion Pack

What do you all think?

I need MAJOR help choosing the bass drum pedals, expertise please!

Last edited:
do you have a kit as it is?

why are you going for the almost most expensive pedal out there? lol..

why not pearl Eliminators or Iron Cobra's?

what kind of music do you play?
will you be gigging?

Alex

I have 2 kits right now, one really cheap Silvertone Pro (don't ask, it was a LONG time ago), and a Yamaha DTXtreme IIs.

Good point about the pedal, I went for the expensive one so that once I had enough money overall, I would have a greater selection of different pedals. For example, If I saved up for Cobras, and then decided I wanted to get Axis or DW 9000s, I would need roughly another $200.

I don't do too much gigging, but I am in the process of forming a band, so there may be a few gigs down the road.

As for what type of music I play mostly rock, a little jazz here and there, but overall I have a unique playing style.

Thanks for the answer, it got me thinking about the pedal!

If it were me I would would spend less on the pedal and more on cymbals. You will tire of the B8 brand

If it were me I would would spend less on the pedal and more on cymbals. You will tire of the B8 brand

Ditto on cymbals, but damn. You might want a car instead of the drums (I can't believe I'm saying this) because "enjoying teenagehood" will be greatly enhanced by having a car....

with a large back seat BTW...

yeah i agree with everyone else, get something like a DW5002 or pearl eliminators and spend the extra money on cymbals. Also don't get loads of cheap cymbals because you can always add on cymbals later, especially with the rack. Otherwise lookin pretty good atm.

Ditto everyone else on the cymbals and pedals. You can get some great deals on cymbals on eBay or craigslist. Also, look into some different brands than the X7. You'll get fewer drums, but better quality and shell material.

Also, trust me, high school (and college) will definitely be better with a car than a drums.

Get good drums and a cheap car. That's my advice.

And ditch the rack and pedals, go for Eliminators and pro-level Zilbinaiste cymbals..

Guys why is everyone so obsessed with him getting a car? He did say he doesn't want either at university. There's not much point in getting a car when your 16 or 17 because the insurance is just ridiculous. Waste of time and money imo. Not to mention people don't kill themselves on drums.

Ditto everyone else on the cymbals and pedals. You can get some great deals on cymbals on eBay or craigslist. Also, look into some different brands than the X7. You'll get fewer drums, but better quality and shell material.

Also, trust me, high school (and college) will definitely be better with a car than a drums.

I have had no problem with my x7's and use them weekly at gig's. They sound great with g2 coated over g1 clear, which was my next suggestion, if you are going with an x7. The hardware has also past the test of time.

But again, if you can buy used and if I were you, I would not get those pedals, and get some nicer cymbals.

Guys why is everyone so obsessed with him getting a car? He did say he doesn't want either at university. There's not much point in getting a car when your 16 or 17 because the insurance is just ridiculous. Waste of time and money imo. Not to mention people don't kill themselves on drums.

I don't know where the OP is from, but since he said "college" rather than "university" I am assuming he is from the US. That being said, it is usually quite impractical to not own a car. Not many of our cities are "walking" cities and public transit is not exactly universal either. In addition many of our colleges tend to accomodate more students-with-cars rather than students-with-drums.

Now, that was a somewhat serious answer to perhaps a rhetorical question...but nevertheless...drum-related deaths are FAR less likely than car-related deaths...so you got me there;-)

I don't know where the OP is from, but since he said "college" rather than "university" I am assuming he is from the US. That being said, it is usually quite impractical to not own a car. Not many of our cities are "walking" cities and public transit is not exactly universal either. In addition many of our colleges tend to accomodate more students-with-cars rather than students-with-drums.

Now, that was a somewhat serious answer to perhaps a rhetorical question...but nevertheless...drum-related deaths are FAR less likely than car-related deaths...so you got me there;-)

Well to be fair there was a drum maker who died in london but that was because the head he ordered from africa had anthrax on it.

As for the car cities, i know what you mean. Most US cities were designed round the car. However maybe he could buy his drums and play them now then in a couple of years when he goes to "collage" or university whatever you want to call it, he can sell up and get a car? Or maybe he might have saved up enough to buy a cheap car and still be able to come back to his drums when he finishes his degree.

yeah i agree with everyone else, get something like a DW5002 or pearl eliminators and spend the extra money on cymbals. Also don't get loads of cheap cymbals because you can always add on cymbals later, especially with the rack. Otherwise lookin pretty good atm.

That's actually not a bad idea about adding on better cymbals, would you suggest a particular brand?

Those are exactly the reasons why I don't want to get a car!

Ahh, I knew someone would notice the college thing. I actually live in Canada, but a lot of my extended family is American, including my mom, so she taught me to spell colour like color, and, as you mentioned, she told me that when I got older I would go to college. Where I'm planning to go to university isn't really that convenient a place to be driving around a car, mainly because everything is within walking distance.

about 10 minutes after their outta the box, i play B8's, sadly...

skins and cymbals, in that order - enjoy the new kit!

...and pics, asap!

That's actually not a bad idea about adding on better cymbals, would you suggest a particular brand?

Well it's difficult to know, maybe try sabian AAXs, or zildjian Z/A customs? Look on ebay as well you can get barely used cymbals for pretty cheap.

Ahh, I knew someone would notice the college thing. I actually live in Canada, but a lot of my extended family is American, including my mom, so she taught me to spell colour like color, and, as you mentioned, she told me that when I got older I would go to college. Where I'm planning to go to university isn't really that convenient a place to be driving around a car, mainly because everything is within walking distance.

Yeah okay that's the same thing with me too. Most UK cities have very good public transport.

Well, if you don't need a car, then you get the drums! And as far as cymbals go, I have some Sabian gear that I can be talked out of. Just PM me if you'd like.

Well, if you don't need a car, then you get the drums! And as far as cymbals go, I have some Sabian gear that I can be talked out of. Just PM me if you'd like.

Thanks for the offer! However I'm going to go with A Customs (new/used). Lol I changed my mind from B8s to A Customs in about three days :p

Lol i'm 17 and I have a car and drums! though i have no money...

Dito on everything - eliminators and bigger cymbals and possibly no rack (unless you like the less sustain, higher pitch small crashes).

Yeah it's looking better. Are you sure you like the idea of such small crashes though? Of course as i said you can always just buy bigger a customs later and just have a monster kit ;) As for stands, well you've already got a rack so you shouldn't have to worry about getting cymbal or tom stands but as for a snare stand i've got a Gibraltair omniball stand which is very good i think and about £50. Roc n soc are extremely good thrones and i don't think you'll regret purchasing one.

Back