Show us your '2 rack toms to the left of the bass' kits!

heres two semi different set ups for two different bands i played in. the kit with more cymbals is a yamaha kit and the other is a pearl kit.

Attachments

• PA240223.JPG
    PA240223.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 5,848
  • 1522911975_l.jpg
    1522911975_l.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 5,768
Wow! Beautiful kits! Here's my very humble contribution (I've got it set up a little differently now, it's an older pic)

mydrums014.jpg

I would be willing to bet a lot of us that set up this way were or are double bass drum players. I also notice the tendency to point the bass drum out to the side like a double bass drummer and not straight like a traditional single bass drum player.

Comments?

I would be willing to bet a lot of us that set up this way were or are double bass drum players. I also notice the tendency to point the bass drum out to the side like a double bass drummer and not straight like a traditional single bass drum player.

Comments?

True. I'd love a second bass drum.

I tinkered with many setup tweaks until I found this to be the most ergonomic. I'll be sticking with this for quite a while.

Attachments

• kitdriverpaiste.JPG
    kitdriverpaiste.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 5,538
  • kitfront.JPG
    kitfront.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 5,449
Last edited:
Wow! You've gotta love all these kits, I think there's just something about this set-up that looks and feels really comfortable.

Thanks for all the replies guys, its certainly helped me imagine how i'll set my new kit up.

Adam x

Comments?
I was looking at Phil Rudds set up again.

He uses a very forward hi hat position. This it the best advantage to the bass drum over to the right. It allows right hand playing on the hats without crossing the hands or arms.
Check out Phils set up and physical approach.
I find that unless I have three toms up front, then I need to go for the forward hi hat position as it offers to me a better ergonomics and ability to hold a AC/DC type pocket.

Take a good look at his hi-hat placement. Clearly this would accomadate two up front.

I noticed this on the SARS video. His hands never cross.
This makes a better pocket IMHO.
For me it does.
I love it.
Open hands, open mind.

I was looking at Phil Rudds set up again.

He uses a very forward hi hat position. This it the best advantage to the bass drum over to the right. It allows right hand playing on the hats without crossing the hands or arms.
Check out Phils set up and physical approach.
I find that unless I have three toms up front, then I need to go for the forward hi hat position as it offers to me a better ergonomics and ability to hold a AC/DC type pocket.

Take a good look at his hi-hat placement. Clearly this would accomadate two up front.

I noticed this on the SARS video. His hands never cross.
This makes a better pocket IMHO.
For me it does.
I love it.
Open hands, open mind.
Man, his setup is beautiful!

Wicked, is it not????
I am not sure you could fit two on the left of the bass drum,
but you could fit two up front, regular kit on the bass drum,
and still take a very forward hihat position.
This allows a left hand lift and fall that has no interrelationship to the right sticking.
For me, this whole set up makes my pocket loads better.

Give it a shot, if your into that kind of drumming.
Take a look at Phils work on the SARS video, if you can.
They had lots of good time on him.
Very clear what he is doing.
Very unique actually.
He mouths his beats...ala Bonham.
If you cannot say it, you cannot play it.

I tinkered with many setup tweaks until I found this to be the most ergonomic. I'll be sticking with this for quite a while.

Those Twenties looks beautiful. I picked up an 18" Crash the other day and I"m very impressed with it. It has a great full, lush tone and integrates wonderfully with my 16" + 18" Full Crashes and 19" DE Crash. I'd really like to see the Twenty line extended next year.

/hijack

I think the reason this tom tom configuration is so popular is because it's so ergonomic. I've always found the traditional mid tom position a bit awkward balance-wise. I was playing a 4 piece configuration for a long time because it seemed more comfortable to me going from 1st rack to floor than to the 2nd rack. So when I wanted to go back to having 2 racks I decided to have them both to the left, right in front of my snare. This position offers a more "rounded" movement between each tom for me, and while it took a while to get the configuration perfect now I that I have I feel it greatly enhances my playing.

Thanks for all the pictures guys.

Does anyone have any more pictures of their kits from the front, in particular focusing on how the two toms are held?

I'm trying to decide how I want my two toms held myself so any help would be greatful, in terms of pictures.

Adam

It's worthy of being an album liner notes photo. The only thing missing: If it was grainy black and white, and there were beer bottles and a couple guitars strewn around the room.
Like this....................

Attachments

• DW kit.jpg
    DW kit.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 5,491
The idea for me to move the toms off the kick came to me from having started on a 4 piece. I always liked to have the ride in close. Part of it is a vanity thing too, it looks bigger and I like to keep the toms lower and tilted less because I like the way it looks. Sorry about the quality of the first pic.

Attachments

• My Studio 007 copy.jpg
    My Studio 007 copy.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 5,434
  • My Studio 009 copy.jpg
    My Studio 009 copy.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 5,472
PJKit_ All As_1.JPG

2 up 2 down one of my favorite set-ups

Back