Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

My initial reactions (besides lust) were all negative. IE; there is no way you have enough time to become proficient on all those instruments,

I should point out all I have is time when I m not teaching. Today I began trying different head combinations and tunings for snare drums at 9.00 am. It was not until 1.10 pm I even thought about breakfast. I had been busy tuning all that time. I tried 5 different head combinations on the Warlord alone. Not to mention the other snares covered. 8 in all.

When not doing that I practice or teach. This is my life. Sad but true. It's all I do.

Recently due to health issues I have only been teaching. I am kind of sick of gigging at the moment as well. But I have gigs coming in three projects in November. A blues band, rockabilly band and percussion with a pop outfit.

Mainly though I teach. When not teaching I practice, study music and tune drums. Today I am not proud. I blew off my 83 year old father to tune snare drums.

I am told I am one of the biggest drum nerds ever. This is why I know things like how singers came to prominence, cowbells, the relationship between styles etc. I constantly read the histories of various kinds of music.

This is my life. It's yours if you want it.

Istanbul Mehmet cymbals.

22" Nostalgia 1950's umbrella profile ride. The most luscious ride cymbal I have ever heard, and it crashes beautifully.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MDYtMjAxMDEyMDUtMTQwMy5qcGc.jpg

Made and autographed for me by the man himself.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MTEtMjAxMDEyMDUtMTQwNC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MTAtMjAxMDEyMDUtMTQwNC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MDctMjAxMDEyMDUtMTQwMy5qcGc.jpg

22" medium Legend Dark ride.

Sweet, dark sounding cymbal. Crashes wonderfully of course and it sounds like it came from a classic Miles album with Tony.

Course lath on top...

utf-8BSU1HMDAzODktMjAxMDExMTItMDc0MC5qcGc.jpg

Fully lathed underneath.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzOTAtMjAxMDExMTItMDc0MC5qcGc.jpg

14" Mehmet Legend Dark medium hi hats. These nearly made a bass player wet himself on a gig when he first heard them, and now he wants his own pair.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MDgtMjAxMDEyMDUtMTQwNC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MDktMjAxMDEyMDUtMTQwNC5qcGc.jpg

Great looking cymbals Wy, I especially like the rough lathe work on the Legend hats & ride. Don't worry too much about the bass player, it's a common problem, lol! Is this the result of the sweet deal you referred to a few months ago?

Great looking cymbals Wy, I especially like the rough lathe work on the Legend hats & ride. Don't worry too much about the bass player, it's a common problem, lol! Is this the result of the sweet deal you referred to a few months ago?

In the past I have always turned down "deals" with companies. I considered a Sonor deal and then the IFC happened and the deal was off the table. But then I was introduced to Mehmet. I am not going to fully endorse them due to my wanting to keep my options open. However, I have accepted the metal I have been given, with more to come. I expect 6 ride cymbals, 2 hats, various crashes and splashes.

I have to say though, these are the best cymbals I ever heard. I've retired all my Sabians, Zildjians etc. They simply cannot compete.

(The guy who made my Nostalgia is the same guy who made cymbals for Tony Williams!)

Although you guys know me as a drummer, I am a percussionist. The only full endorsement I have ATM is from a Brasilian drum company.

Here is my all time favorite instrument to play, the pandeiro. It is so hard to play!!!

IMGP5113.jpg

I am actually having great trouble playing now due to a nerve being caught between 2 vertabrae in my neck. My right hand is totally numb and has been for some months. Playing the pandeiro is incredibly hard. As is playing the drums!

At a recent Stanton Moore clinic he had one of the pandeiro on a stand to the left of the hats, with a bass drum mic and had it EQ'd very low and wow what a sound he got from it. Louder than any gong drum.

Attachments

• CIMG0837.JPG
    CIMG0837.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 604
Great photo Gruntersdad! Yeah pandeiros are wonderful. I have 3, two 10's and a 12".

Swiss I have a gig next Saturday. If any recording is made I will see what I can do. It's only a rockabilly thing.

I do not want to sound idiotic (hard for me not to) but I tend to see the biggest investment by me was time spent practising. So many hours on a pad has no price.

And still it got me nowhere. Quite an investment.

Glass snare drums anyone? I've got one on the way with pics as soon as I get it. And I do mean real glass. The only ones out there right now are in the hands of ?uestlove, Danny Carey, Kenny Aronoff, and Steve Gadd. I had a chance to play the one that got shipped to Steve and it had a unique focus and complexity and was the most responsive snare I've ever played.

Vic

1961 Slingerland in immaculate condition.

utf-8Bc2xpbmdlcmxhbmQga2l0LmpwZw.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet! Love Slingys.. brings back memories of my first kit. Looks great, Wy... did you do a lot of work on it?

No. It is pretty much as new.

Oh and I have found the guy who borrowed my Slingerland 14x6" classic maple from 68. I loaned it to him in 97 and he never returned it. I am now on the hunt!

I want my snare back. And the case I loaned it to him in. It's a fantastic snare. You can see it behind me on the floor as a spare in this old photo. Its black. Find the Ambassador head first LOL.

KM.jpg

Oh and that Rogers was given to a student as a reward for a lot of hard work. I still see him from time to time when he wants to check on his technique.

Back