Baseball thread

YYYYAAAAYYYYY!!!

Good job Phillies! S'bout time....Btw, the weather here sucks right now....Micheal G or Mrchatter probably got a little bit a snow the other day, Drumsword probably already has....I hate winter.

Congrats, Phillies! Well Done! Good heads up play, Chase Utley.

And Congrats to the Phillies fans!

I am proud to agree with Vipercussionist on this matter. How in the world can you think this is not a sport.

From Wikipedia...
Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.

Not too much longer . . . is it??

I am proud to agree with Vipercussionist on this matter. How in the world can you think this is not a sport.

From Wikipedia...
Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.
Thanks for your support GD!!

~~~~~~ The Baseball Calendar ~~~~~~

By The Associated Press

Through Nov. 13—Free agent filing period, first 15 days after World Series ends.

Nov. 3-6—General managers’ meetings, Dana Point, Calif.

Dec. 1—Last day for teams to offer salary arbitration to their former players who became free agents.

Dec. 2-5—Major League Baseball Players Association executive board meeting, Orlando, Fla.

Dec. 7—Last day for free agents offered salary arbitration to accept the offers.

Dec. 8-11—Winter meetings, Las Vegas.

Dec. 8—Hall of Fame Veterans Committee vote announced, Las Vegas.
ADVERTISEMENT

Dec. 12—Last day for teams to offer 2009 contracts to unsigned players.

Jan 5-15—Salary arbitration filing.

Jan. 19 or 20—Exchange of salary arbitration figures.

Feb. 1-21—Salary arbitration hearings, Phoenix.

Feb. 14—Mandatory reporting date for players on World Baseball Classic rosters of China, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan unless they have reported directly to their national teams; mandatory reporting date for pitchers and catchers on provisional rosters of other WBC teams; voluntary reporting date for non-WBC pitchers, catchers and injured players.

Feb. 17—Mandatory reporting date for remaining position players on WBC rosters; voluntary reporting date for non-WBC position players.

Feb. 22—Mandatory reporting date for non-WBC players.

March 2-11—Teams may renew contracts of unsigned players.

March 5-23—World Baseball Classic.

March 18— Last day to place a player on unconditional release waivers and pay 30 days termination pay instead of 45 days.

April 1—Last day to request unconditional release waivers on a player without having to pay his full 2008 salary.

April 5—Opening day, active rosters reduced to 25 players.

Attachments

• Baseball.gif
    Baseball.gif
    19.7 KB · Views: 160
Just now saw this thread. I'm out here in Dodger country and bleed Dodger Blue (and admit it now matter what the season).

Really, A-Roid was our last chance to get rid of Bonds from the top of the heap. It seems the numbers are unrealistic without the help of PED's

NOW who will be able to get to the top LEGITIMATELY and get Bonds out of there????

Poor Hank . . . It's just not fair to HIM!!!!!!

Really, A-Roid was our last chance to get rid of Bonds from the top of the heap. It seems the numbers are unrealistic without the help of PED's

NOW who will be able to get to the top LEGITIMATELY and get Bonds out of there????

Poor Hank . . . It's just not fair to HIM!!!!!!

Ehhh...

It's alright Viper. Hank will ALWAYS be on a higher level than Bonds.

Aaron is the TRUE homerun king! He had/has class and just let his God-given talent propel him to greatness...WITHOUT cheating.

Quite simple, really. ;-)

as a Yankees fan I was ecstatic when the Yankees got A-Rod. Boy, how that changed! Right after he opted out I would have been just as ecstatic if the Yankees had let him go. We lose with him and we can lose without him and have less headaches doing it. The guy is a total headcase. How can someone with all that money and talent be so damned insecure and so useless in the post season?

And if he left his wife for Madonna then he's a damn fool as well. Madonna? Please! And now this steroid thing. I wouldn't be surprised if deep down he is happy he got caught because now the pressure of being the clean savior of baseball is off his back. He handles pressure like I handle burning coals with my bare hands. Even when he's supposedly telling the 'truth' he's full of crap. I'm sick of this guy and have no problem having the Yankees dump him. What a phony!

as a Yankees fan I was ecstatic when the Yankees got A-Rod. Boy, how that changed! Right after he opted out I would have been just as ecstatic if the Yankees had let him go. We lose with him and we can lose without him and have less headaches doing it. The guy is a total headcase. How can someone with all that money and talent be so damned insecure and so useless in the post season?

And if he left his wife for Madonna then he's a damn fool as well. Madonna? Please! And now this steroid thing. I wouldn't be surprised if deep down he is happy he got caught because now the pressure of being the clean savior of baseball is off his back. He handles pressure like I handle burning coals with my bare hands. Even when he's supposedly telling the 'truth' he's full of crap. I'm sick of this guy and have no problem having the Yankees dump him. What a phony!
As a Red Sox fan, I thank you for your honesty. I really was hoping he was the second coming of Arron. It would have been great for Baseball had he been clean and re-broke the record.

At least he didn't LIE about it like most of the others. Giambi just came clean and in no time his name was restored to normal.

The others like Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, McGuire and Palmeiro have sullied their names beyond repair, but their RECORDS still stand. And of course the effects of time will dull the urgency of the cheating they did to get there, almost making it legit. THAT'S what worries me!

In 20 years there will be no real way to TELL who was legit or not without research. And what 10 year old looking at the old stats will be researching that deeply, I'd say probably NONE!!

Sad as hell. I'll remember Hank, but the new generations will have to read deeply into things for the true story.

funny thing is I really wanted to like Alex but the more I saw and heard him I just got turned off by him. I wanted him to be the guy to be the all-time home run king, the clean home run king that is but now that's out the window. In my book Hank Aaron is the HR king and all these steroid fiends are simply making Aaron's accomplishments that much more exceptional. It's a shame what is happening to baseball.
hey Vipercussionist- imagine if Alex had ended up with Boston instead of New York!

funny thing is I really wanted to like Alex but the more I saw and heard him I just got turned off by him. I wanted him to be the guy to be the all-time home run king, the clean home run king that is but now that's out the window. In my book Hank Aaron is the HR king and all these steroid fiends are simply making Aaron's accomplishments that much more exceptional. It's a shame what is happening to baseball.
hey Vipercussionist- imagine if Alex had ended up with Boston instead of New York!
OH!! That would have been horrible with this new information. I wonder how the Yankees will fair with all the money they've spent and now all of this added pressure to perform. They're gonna be under a MICROSCOPE for the entire season now, like it wasn't bad enough already. I feel bad for Girardi, the pressure will be ENORMOUS to bring home the title. He'll most likely take the fall if they don't.

I guess we'll see!! it's almost TIME!!

yeah, I'm excited about seeing them play in the new park. On TV that is, i don't know if I can afford their prices, ha ha. If the Yankees don't make the playoffs this year with the talent they have then Girardi will get canned. On paper there is no way this team can miss the playoffs and even advance. The heat is most definitely on!

Back