Sabian Quiet Tone Vs. Zildjian Low Volume Cymbal Comparison

Thanks for the vid! Right on time, since I'm in the market for such cymbals right now. I'm not expecting them to sound lush or complex by any stretch, but the Sabians sounded very annoying indeed. I think I could live with the Zildjians.

Nicely produced video, but the sonics suffer from hard limiting and proximity effect (most noticable on the crashes when played solo)! Try mic'ing from a little more distance next time!

Yeah, the Sabians are too high pitched for my ears. And the Zildjians feel better to me. More solid. The ONLY thing I like better on the Sabians is the bell, but don't play those too often enough to care.

And yeah, you're right on the volume fluctuations. Used the camera mic. Just did a quickie before I returned the Sabians.

Wow, those Sabians sound like $20 toy cymbals! I’d definitely pick the Zildjian’s, more musical sounding (for quiet cymbals) to my ears.

I’d definitely pick the Zildjian’s, more musical sounding (for quiet cymbals) to my ears

Just out of curiosity, why would the musicality of these matter? They're just for quiet practice, right?

I've been thinking of getting a few of these to use on my Sound Off padded kit, and how musical they were didn't come to mind at all.

I prefer the Zildjians. They have a less offensive timbre than the Sabians, and a lower pitch as well. I tend to prefer lower-pitched cymbals anyway, so the Zildjian Low Volume cymbals will definitely be on my wishlist since I am considering branching out into electronic drums for the fun of it.

I don't think this video is very suitable for a comparison. When you switch between brands, it's not just the cymbals that sound different, but the entire kit. Even the same cymbal sounds different from segment to segment.

It's not just volume fluctuations as mentioned, but different frequencies are dominant depending on the take, for the cymbals and the kit.

I just got the 13/14/18 Zildjian pack for my electronic kit, since I hate the rubber pad cymbals.

I'm pretty impressed so far. They're much better to play on than a rubber pad, and sound pretty good with the drums coming through the monitor speakers.

Back