Buying a custom DW set

I have the complete opposite experience.

I have the new Yamaha RCs which are exactly what you mention, 6 ply birch shells without re-ring.

I recently re-headed them with UV1s top and G1 clear reso : finger-tight, 180 degrees bottom 90 top, 1 minute adjusting and they are puuuuurfect.

Never seen anything like it. Talk about plug and play.

I think yamahas are good for that kinda stuff
Pearl on the other hand....hmm

Last edited:
Nah I truly have everything I need at the moment. I feel as content now as I did 5 years ago when I started my change for the sake of change in the drum set department.

Now gear-wise it will be heads, an add-on tom here and there and a cymbal or two.

Ideally, I want to use my drum budget to build a room in my house I can actually practice in in the evening when the kids are asleep. That would be the best expense I could make with regards to my one true passion.

Now back to this thread : why do they add reinforcement rings on thick ply shells like the collectors ? As a reinforcing agent I can see why they would be useful on a 3-ply shell, but on a 6-ply they say it is for focus. Do they mean it chokes the sound a bit to control overtones or what is the deal here ? Could that not be achieved by heads and tuning ? My thinking has always been that you can kill any drum, but you can't add resonance, overtones nor ring to a dead drum. Still love dw, not bashing at all, legitimate question in my continued quest for knowledge.

Wow dude we are so much in the same position. I have a great room for drums, and even though it is in the basement with the kids two stories above me, it's not quite far enough that they could sleep through it. I have good intentions of starting another thread on soundproofing a room while keeping it looking like a regular room. Shall we begin that conversation in this thread or start a new one?

Wow dude we are so much in the same position. I have a great room for drums, and even though it is in the basement with the kids two stories above me, it's not quite far enough that they could sleep through it. I have good intentions of starting another thread on soundproofing a room while keeping it looking like a regular room. Shall we begin that conversation in this thread or start a new one?

There are already a few past threads on this topic, and good ones as far as I can remember.

A room inside a room with a riser seems like the best option, but expensive and takes a toll in the usable square feet department.

Rubin, you should expect to get a 46% discount on the Collector's Series drums and 50% discount on hardware, based on what I paid when I negotiated my deal with Guitar Center when I ordered my kit. That ought to save you some money for that drum room.

Rubin, you should expect to get a 46% discount on the Collector's Series drums and 50% discount on hardware, based on what I paid when I negotiated my deal with Guitar Center when I ordered my kit. That ought to save you some money for that drum room.

Wow awesome. Can I expect any retailer to offer that and they still make money? I'd like to support a small local drum shop if at all possible.

Please post links to any music you record with the new DWs whenever you can (once you actually have them in possession). I'd love to hear how they sound, processed or not.

Wow awesome. Can I expect any retailer to offer that and they still make money? I'd like to support a small local drum shop if at all possible.

They make money on them.
Just let the local guys know what you can get them for and see if they will match. My local shop (90 miles away!) beats the big guys on price every time.

Don't buy DW drums. They sound mediocre at best, and they have some of the worst tom mounts in existence. If price isn't an issue and you want home grown, go for Craviotto. Heck, I'd even take Ludwig over DW. Of course, Gretsch makes three lines now in South Carolina. Anything but DW. I've never played a set I liked. Virgil Donati seems to make them sound nice, but that's about it. Even John Robinson sounded better on Yamaha.

My biggest gripe with DW is adjusting those God-awful tom mounts.

Ha! DW owns Gretsch. Know your stuff before you go telling people what to do with their money!

Don't buy DW drums. They sound mediocre at best, and they have some of the worst tom mounts in existence. If price isn't an issue and you want home grown, go for Craviotto. Heck, I'd even take Ludwig over DW. Of course, Gretsch makes three lines now in South Carolina. Anything but DW. I've never played a set I liked. Virgil Donati seems to make them sound nice, but that's about it. Even John Robinson sounded better on Yamaha.

My biggest gripe with DW is adjusting those God-awful tom mounts.

I don't get these comments at all. I've heard seriously crappy sounding Gretsch and Yamaha too. I'm not going to say DWs are best. Frankly I don't know. I've never had the opportunity to compare them side by side with any other. No one around me has enough of anything to ever compare one against the other and if they do all of the heads are different. If they were that crappy sounding, there wouldn't be so many pros playing them. Even if I was a pro and you gave me drums I didn't like the sound of, I'd find a different set.

Now, for the one piece I'm super familiar with. What's wrong with the adjustments of the DW tom mounts? I've had the cheaper PDP version for over a decade with no memory locks and they are not nearly as plush, and have had zero issues adjusting the toms or having them stay where I left them. Yamaha and Mapex mounts are nice too, but I don't see them doing extra tricks.

I can see not liking their looks, as we each like different things, but I have read this comment on this forum and others numerous times and can't figure out what's so god awful unadjutable about them!

Not trying to start a fight here. To each his own, but to me it's like when you get on the Ford forum and people say, don't buy a Honda, because they all have three wheels!

I don't get these comments at all....

I agree. So let's get back to the topic of Rubik and his drums. I look forward to seeing what he finally gets and him sharing his excitement of the process with us. Let's be honest, I'm pretty sure whenever any of us are getting a new kit, we have a bit of that "little kid" anticipation and like to share it w/ others who appreciate it.

Ha! DW owns Gretsch. Know your stuff before you go telling people what to do with their money!

DW owns the distribution rights to Gretsch, but Gretsch is still making Gretsch and not DW. It's like Ford owning Jaguar, so not a good comparison.

I agree. So let's get back to the topic of Rubik and his drums. I look forward to seeing what he finally gets and him sharing his excitement of the process with us. Let's be honest, I'm pretty sure whenever any of us are getting a new kit, we have a bit of that "little kid" anticipation and like to share it w/ others who appreciate it.

Agree 100%. Nice to share in the excitement. Would love to post in the new drum day thread someday. Round lugs, small lugs, vintage lugs or otherwise. :)

Well the cheap way would be to buy new lugs and install them. 8+)

To be fair...I don't think Grunt ever stated the "current owner" of Jag ;) Ford did own Jag for 10 years prior to selling to the current owner, Tata. I know, details shmeetails :)

Regardless, Grunt's post is valid. Gretsch are not DW's. lol

You have a great income, use it. Make memories: go to the factory, meet the owners , workers, use their input , look at all the different stuff and make your choice. Take out the crew to lunch.
You'll remember that for the rest of your life !!

You have a great income, use it. Make memories: go to the factory, meet the owners , workers, use their input , look at all the different stuff and make your choice. Take out the crew to lunch.
You'll remember that for the rest of your life !!

+1

...and be sure to post a bunch a pics when the kit arrives!

Now, for the one piece I'm super familiar with. What's wrong with the adjustments of the DW tom mounts? I've had the cheaper PDP version for over a decade with no memory locks and they are not nearly as plush, and have had zero issues adjusting the toms or having them stay where I left them. Yamaha and Mapex mounts are nice too, but I don't see them doing extra tricks.
DW tom mounting requires way too much time to adjust properly. If I remember correctly, the PDP system worked a bit better. Yamaha system can be adjusted very simply and easily. You just have to compare them and work with them to see the difference. It's night and day.

Back