Travis Barker

It's not about musicianship or actual talent -- It's about the punk rock ethos that the Sex Pistols fully embodied.
Thanks for telling a 33 year old fan of punk what the scene embodied - Needed that.

The pistols couldn't play, they taught a legion of fans that anyone could have their say without knowing anything about music - this info is true.

They were also dogsh*t (this is true), they were only "good" cos they were angry and people had nothing else to compare to until the Clash and Sham 69 came to town.

Sex Pistols were more or less put together by Malcolm Mclaren...
and they were sh*t

Thanks for telling a 33 year old fan of punk what the scene embodied - Needed that.

Hey I'm sorry Hellwyck - I honestly thought you were just ripping on the Pistols. I realize now you were just saying their musical talent was shit. I guess I interpreted it wrong. I wasn't intentionally trying to sound condescending talking about how the sex pistols' attitude was more important than the actual playing itself. Sometimes specific vocal inflections and implied emotions are hard to convey over the Internet. :)

No hard feelings, right?

and they were sh*t

I wholeheartedly disagree. I think they were better than even they gave themselves credit for.

and they won't know Ringo unless they watched Thomas The Tank Engine in the early '90's

Now I really need that bottle, apsrins and a lie down!! :)

Even my non-musical friends all know that Ringo had an established career drumming with some little outfit from Liverpool........long before he ever teamed up with the Fat Controller for a good bout of shunting.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I think they were better than even they gave themselves credit for.
Nope, they were credited as the first pink band for their attitude and not much else.
The only member of the band who could actually play was Steve Jones.

Now I really need that bottle, apsrins and a lie down!! :)

Even my non-musical friends all know that Ringo had an established career drumming with some little outfit from Liverpool........long before he ever teamed up with the Fat Controller for a good bout of shunting.
I was talking about the kids who know Travis Barker, They wouldn't know Ringo as a drummer if he told them himself holding a picture up of him in the Beatles.

Travis Barker is GOD he is an AMAZING drummer most of the people just like him because they listen to blink 182 but its not that i love blink 182 they are my gods but i admire travis for lots of things. he´s got style, he is fast, he knows how to make rythyms with just a little guitar riff or 2 wordss from a song HE IS THA MAN

Agreed. I started liking Travis because of Blink 182 but I don't like him only because of blink 182.

I don't care about ANYTHING in a drummer over being unique, and when travis plays, you know it is travis playing. I could pick out a drum beat of his from a mile away. They're all so unique and amazing sounding.

Buzzcocks were influrntial in the forming of what's known as "punk"
and they're from my hometown of Manchester!

Here's some Buzzcocks for a Friday...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EdQuBnh3Uk

As for the Pistols....Steve Jones and Paul Cook could play.
Jones has a great tone on NMTB, and a great tone with Neurotic Outsiders as well.
Johnny Rotten was a great "entertainer" for sheer stupidity, and making people crazy.
I liked the PIL album with Steve Vai playing on it.

I tell you what. Try playing along to Enema of The State and you'll soon see (most of you) are outmatched! I never really appreciated blink until I decided to pick up that album.

Fantastic stuff, I wish I could learn it, (but am in the process of learning it)!

In my opinion Travis Barker is great. I doubt he is the best drummer of all time. Do you think Travis Barker on his free time plays the stuff you see him play all the time on youtube or in Blink 182? I can bet if you were to ask travis barker to play any kind of style he would. He plays what he does all the time cause that's the kind of drumming people want him to play. It's just like Jessica Simpson singing country. Nobody cares if you can play everything thing under the sun, you just don't belong. Why would he just start randomly start playing jazz or funk? Do you see Gabb, Neil, Portnoy, Rich, or all the greats playing a style of travis barkers? Do you think they can? Of course they could but that's there style. Drumming is drumming everyone has there own style, and they play it.

I forgot to add. I would like to see Billy Cobham keep up with Enema of the state. They both have speed yes but speed and insurance? A good drummer should be able to play a song, Drum solo, and play a fast tempo for a longtime.

Travis Barker is and always will be my biggest drumming influence. he is the reason that i started playing drums and he is still my favourite player. No he is not the best drummer in the world but he is damn good. i enjoy his style and i think his hand technique is extremely good. he throws a lot of rudiments in to his playing and he has inspired a lot of drummers of my generation just like John Bonham did for older generations. I don't think Travis deserves the hate he gets but to each their own. I just don't think it's right to knock someone who clearly is talented. No matter what anyone says you can't deny that Travis Barker is a good drummer.

In my opinion Travis Barker is great. I doubt he is the best drummer of all time. Do you think Travis Barker on his free time plays the stuff you see him play all the time on youtube or in Blink 182? I can bet if you were to ask travis barker to play any kind of style he would. He plays what he does all the time cause that's the kind of drumming people want him to play. It's just like Jessica Simpson singing country. Nobody cares if you can play everything thing under the sun, you just don't belong. Why would he just start randomly start playing jazz or funk? Do you see Gabb, Neil, Portnoy, Rich, or all the greats playing a style of travis barkers? Do you think they can? Of course they could but that's there style. Drumming is drumming everyone has there own style, and they play it.

I forgot to add. I would like to see Billy Cobham keep up with Enema of the state. They both have speed yes but speed and insurance? A good drummer should be able to play a song, Drum solo, and play a fast tempo for a longtime.
I can appreciate what Barker is to the public and the drumming community and his obvious talent, but these posts are literally just blind worship of one person.

There's plenty of other rock players who can play CIRCLES around Barker with a similar style: fact. Just because you like him doesn't mean you need to defend him from the "haters" by putting down other people's favorite drummers for... absolutely no reason.

I would like to see Billy Cobham keep up with Enema of the state. They both have speed yes but speed and insurance? A good drummer should be able to play a song, Drum solo, and play a fast tempo for a longtime.

Billy Cobham? The same 32nd note-run-round-the-toms-at-blistering-speed, Billy Cobham?? Couldn't keep up with Enema of the State??? Surely you jest?

Somehow I think he'd get a handle on Blink 182!

Last edited:
As to speed and insurance... I can play 270 bpm heel-toe for 3 minutes, now I know I need insurance - thanks for the heads up, hahaha.

PS: My only relation to Travis Barker is that when I bought my first 2 pairs of sticks 1 year ago, those sticks were recommended to me because they're great for practicing on a pad. IMO Travis Barker is an ok drummer, has some style of his own and he fits Blink 182 perfectly, but ultimately he's an overrated drummer with way too much buzz around him. Proof? Look at this thread... Travis Barker gives no reason for more than 1,000 posts IMHO.

I almost can't get over this redickuloussly high high-hat, and his tiny and fully painted
upper body, lol!

But the playing is cool. Not my cup of tea musically, but he has a lot of energy, and he's
right on the spot.
There have been a few gold quotes in this thread. I have to say that I find the whole, "look at me with my shirt off and heaps of tats" thing really off putting. It is also real annoying to have drummers with the caliber of say Benny Greb or Gavin Harrison compared to Travis in a negative way by the Travis fans that are consumed by their "blind worship".
That said, even though just the look of Travis Playing, (even when not playing) makes me uncomfortable, he is without doubt a very competent drummer who has added a dimension to Blink182. I am sure that Travis didn't get the skill that he has because he "blindly worshiped" only one particular drummer, and obviously his heroes were not all from the one genre.
It would be nice to be able to watch some creative drummer doing his thing on youtube and not have thousands of teens comment about how the guy is not a patch on Travis or Joey.
Instead of telling every other drummer to narrow their field, they should learn to expand their own. Rant Off!

Back