New EC2

I would stick with the clears. The frosty Evans coating sounds awful to my ears.

I hear that. Especially with brushes, it sounds like your swooshing around on Tupperware. Although I've got the HD Genera Dry Head on my snare and the coating on that head sounds damn nice. I don't know maybe if Evans changed their coating from that translucent type they'd sound better.

I hear that. Especially with brushes, it sounds like your swooshing around on Tupperware. Although I've got the HD Genera Dry Head on my snare and the coating on that head sounds damn nice. I don't know maybe if Evans changed their coating from that translucent type they'd sound better.

I find the white Evans coating to be just fine. I don't know why I (and other drummers) hear the frosty coating as so different, given that Evans says they're the same except for the pigment, but there it is.

I know that if they made their EC1, EC2, and G-plus heads with the white coating I'd be all over them.

I find the white Evans coating to be just fine. I don't know why I (and other drummers) hear the frosty coating as so different, given that Evans says they're the same except for the pigment, but there it is.

I remember the Evans guys posting here a while back. They said the coating was the same as on the coated heads sans the titanium dioxide.

I worked as a chemical compounded for a few years. Titanium dioxide is a fairly heavy white powder that is commonly used as a pigment. It adds weight to any compound it is added to.

If if adds weight and increases the specific gravity of the compound then it's not exactly the same compound as one without it.

I just bought some the of EC2 SST heads for my 12" and 16" toms. I gotta say I was not too happy with the choked sound. I had coated G1 heads before. Now I now I should have gone for the clear G2.

Althought, I've been playing them more and I'm getting used to them. I can't afford to buy any new heads right now so I'm going to just play the hell out of these for a while.

They do produce a very focused, albeit short, tone. I had to tune them a bit higher than I'm used to just to get past the wrinkles. Because of this I can definately hear evey stroke from them, even when playing very fast. So, that's kind of neat.

I just bought some the of EC2 SST heads for my 12" and 16" toms. I gotta say I was not too happy with the choked sound. I had coated G1 heads before. Now I now I should have gone for the clear G2.

That's kind of the problem right there, you're comparing three different types of heads (1-ply, 2-ply, and 2-ply with built in muffling). Now if you're comparing for example an ambassador to a G1, or an EC2 to a Pinstripe that'd be fair. This thread would be more related to the EC2 vs EC2 SST head, which I reiterate the SST version sounds better. Sorry to bicker, but you mentioned you weren't happy with the choked sound, and all I could think was, "well... yeah, you went from a coated G1 to an EC2", that's going to be a drastic change in sound.

That's kind of the problem right there, you're comparing three different types of heads (1-ply, 2-ply, and 2-ply with built in muffling). Now if you're comparing for example an ambassador to a G1, or an EC2 to a Pinstripe that'd be fair. This thread would be more related to the EC2 vs EC2 SST head, which I reiterate the SST version sounds better. Sorry to bicker, but you mentioned you weren't happy with the choked sound, and all I could think was, "well... yeah, you went from a coated G1 to an EC2", that's going to be a drastic change in sound.

Yeah, well I also admitted to that mistake in the same quote by saying that now know I should have gone with the G2. So here is my bicker to your bicker.

I was explaining my experience with the EC2 SSTs, not comparing it with the G1 heads, hence the following two paragraphs in my original post.

Yeah, well I also admitted to that mistake in the same quote by saying that now know I should have gone with the G2. So here is my bicker to your bicker.

I was explaining my experience with the EC2 SSTs, not comparing it with the G1 heads, hence the following two paragraphs in my original post.

That's some cold blooded bickering right there... here's to ya.

just got some clear ec2s sst, I have the g1s for resos, I see mostly everybody tunes them a litlle higher, was wondering are your resos tuned the same, lower, or higher with these heads?

Just did my first show with the EC2 SST heads, replacing a set of 'foil' EC2s I'd already done some shows with. I keep my resos tune slightly higher or about the same as the batter, it kind of depends where the batter wants to sing best after I've got the reso where I want it.

I find the SST version to speak a little better than the foil version, but that sort of means it doesn't have quite the fullness, either. I suspected as much when I first tried them last summer, and now I know for sure. It's not a bad thing, just not a very rich sound by comparison. They're more like a slightly mellow G2.

Bermuda

I have them on both my Sonor kits and I love them. We also have them on our Yamaha Maple Absolute kit at church and all four drummers there agree that they are great heads.

Back