Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin,

Watching the videos from the Messe clinic, I notice you have your Powerbook/MacbookPro on a cushion/pillow. Do you ever have issues with it overheating when resting on a surface like that for a long time?

Looking forward to the first US date here in Seattle next month!

Cheers,
don

Hi Gavin,

Just popping in to say that the Musikmesse videos are fantastic. I loved the emotional side to the second song you played, and I thought that the third tune was absolutely killer. For the 1000th time, you really do have a thing for finding the perfect groove/lick/whatever to compliment the whole in a musical manner.

Over and out,
Christopher.

The videos are brilliant, but hey no surprise there.....

The drumming in Quite Firm is real nice, love the 8” tom - double bass fill near the end.

I saw your new drumset and I noticed that in the specs you mention 4 toms and 3 floor toms.
But in the pictures I only see 3 toms and 2 floor toms.
Does this mean you sometimes change your tom set-up?

Or did Sonor just sent you all sizes...

Do you sometimes use other toms during recording from song to song or is it usually the same?
Do you think there’s a big difference between let’s say a 14 and a 15” floor tom??

Hey Gavin

Love you work!!!! Any idea when the dates for the Australian leg of your tour will be announced?? Also a small technical question, when PT are playing live do you all have the click going to you monotors or do you only hear it??

Man can't wait for the new album to come out and for your two DVD's to arrive as just purchased them on line.

Take care

Burchie

Thanks to you all for the positive comments about the Frankfurt videos!

Hi cvighals,

Me and my band have a studio, and we are wondering about buying an Audix d6 for the bass drum. How is the Audix compared to the akg d112 that we have already? (That is of course if you are familiar with the d112)

I've been pleased with the Audix D6 especially in combination with the Shure SM91. I've used the AKG 112 many times but never owned one.

Hi Bleen

Watching the videos from the Messe clinic, I notice you have your Powerbook/MacbookPro on a cushion/pillow. Do you ever have issues with it overheating when resting on a surface like that for a long time?

I haven't had problems with it overheating - although I can't believe how hot it gets sometimes. I've had problems with vibration upsetting the hard drive. I'm not convinced the pillow is the best way to stop that - but it seems to help a bit.

Hi Drizzle

I saw your new drumset and I noticed that in the specs you mention 4 toms and 3 floor toms.
But in the pictures I only see 3 toms and 2 floor toms.
Does this mean you sometimes change your tom set-up?

I wanted to have the most flexible possibilities in my set ups. Sometimes I'll use the 8,10,12 on top - then sometimes I might want 10,12,13 - or any combination of the toms. Same story with the floor toms. Maybe I'd like to use a 13 tom and a 15" floor - sometimes a 14 floor is too small and a 16 floor is too big. I've been in sessions with a 10,12,16 combo and the gap to the 16 was too much. There's so many different musical situations - I just wanted to try to cover what my inspiration might dream up for any song - or gig or tour.

Hi Burchie,

Love you work!!!! Any idea when the dates for the Australian leg of your tour will be announced??

I don't know when we're coming to Australia - sometime soon I hope. Any chance you could move it a bit closer to us?

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,
I have a question regarding a cymbal you used in the Frankfurt 2007 videos. Its the one right in front of you, over your first two toms, it looks like a mini china but makes a sound similar to a mark tree ? I was wondering what it was.

Thanks

Thanks for that Gavin, would love to move closer but my wife seems to be happy here!!
Will just have to wait!

Hi Gavin!

I really like your new kit. The SQ2 sonor. How do you like it (in comparison to your Designers)?

I saw the exact color in my local drumshop, and it was mindblowing!

Will you use your rack again? Or just stands?

Thx!

Sam

Hi Tuxido,
it's another one of my 'cut down' experiments. It's a Zildjian 16" Z crash cut down to 8" and had it's edges bent upwards like a china cymbal.

Cheers
Gavin

I have a question regarding a cymbal you used in the Frankfurt 2007 videos. Its the one right in front of you, over your first two toms, it looks like a mini china but makes a sound similar to a mark tree ? I was wondering what it was.

Hi Sam,
Yes I love it - it's a bit early to tell - how it compares to the last kit (Designer). It's an amazing finish. I've been using it for the first time in rehearsals today.
I will be mounting it on a rack for the tour. It's just easier for the tech to build the kit everyday.

Cheers
Gavin

I really like your new kit. The SQ2 sonor. How do you like it (in comparison to your Designers)?

I saw the exact color in my local drumshop, and it was mindblowing!

Will you use your rack again? Or just stands?

Still the pearl dr503 rack?

Your kit always looks so very clean! The toms are nicely angled, ...

It looks great when you see it on stage (meaning your kit).
What pedals are you currently using?

Hi Gavin

Looking forward to seeing Porcupine Tree in Cambridge on the 25th. I'll be in the middle with a red carnation if you look up :D And this time, try not to make it all look so darn easy. I really enjoy listening to your playing, it teeters on the verge of being inspiring on the one hand and so darn good it pisses me off that I can't do it on the other.

Question: never seen you do solos with PT - is this a personal policy or a band policy?

Hi Sam,
yes it's still the dr503 rack.
At the moment I'm using Axis Longboards.

Hi Frostilicus

"Question: never seen you do solos with PT - is this a personal policy or a band policy?"

No I never play solos with PT (except the night Steve left the stage to go to the toilet!!!). I don't really like playing solos - I much prefer to play inside some musical context.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi! Gavin
just a short question! when you guys where young, Jim,you, ect. what kind of kit did you use then? (you know, around london pubs and all that jazz!). Just a lot of curiosity,I'm asking you because my Dad cant remember.

cheers
DannyP

Hey Gavin,

I've been transcribing Open Car and would like to know if I'm right aboutthe time signature is.

To me the intro riff is in 17/16 or 17/8, am I right??

The verse section are 8/8 + 9/8 or would you call this 17/8

Do these odd time signatures songs (parts) come from jams or do you 'create' it on purpose???

Since you're so kind to answer questions...........do YOU have any questions??????

Greetz, Andre

Back