PEDAL INFORMATION NEEDED ASAP!!!

IronMaiden

I am an amateur drummer. Been playing for around a year and a half now but cant seem to get anywhere. My pedal is falling apart so I desperately trying to buy a new one.

I'm gonna go for double pedals but I really have no idea what to get. As an amateur drummer I obviously won't be able to use a DW9000. So which pedals do you guys think are the best for amateur drummers. My budget is $250.

I am an amateur drummer. Been playing for around a year and a half now but cant seem to get anywhere. My pedal is falling apart so I desperately trying to buy a new one.

I'm gonna go for double pedals but I really have no idea what to get. As an amateur drummer I obviously won't be able to use a DW9000. So which pedals do you guys think are the best for amateur drummers. My budget is $250.

depending on where your located, I say scour craigslist and kijiji.
On a budget of $250, you could probably get a single or double set of iron cobras. Or even go for the dixon double kick. It's cheap, durable, and has not bad response.

Oh yeah thats the thing I forgot to mention. I live in Bangladesh (ever heard of it??). My dad is on a business trip to America. A DW5000 double pedals cost around $500 here!!! Can you beleive it? A normal Iron Cobra is $300. My dads gonna stay there for around a month so I decided to ask him to bring the pedals.

Thing is my fav drummer of all time is the great Nicko McBrain. Which means single pedal. Which means for about a year I have been trying to play a bit like Nicko. My pedal foot has improved obviously but my left foot feels impotent and all my drummer friends tell me that regardless of which drummer i follow i SHOULD/HAVE TO learn double kick. Tried Iron Cobra but it felt a bit hard. It maybe cause I'm very ignorant about these things but I'm really confused.

And an important thing is I wanna use the pedals for at least two years, including concerts. Please help with details if possible. Checked out DW and TAMA websites but didn't understand shit. My current pedal is 10 year old rusted Rock Gibraltar (whatever that is)

I would look for some used Pearl Eliminators, I haven't looked but I bet you can score some pretty cheap. Peeps trying to upgrade to Demon Drives. I have a single Iron Cobra and it is fully adjustable so keep that in mind. It has served me well for over 4 years with no problems. Good luck hunting.

I also would suggest used pearl eleminators, if you cant find any try a P-120 Double Pedal(P-122)

I also would suggest used pearl eleminators, if you cant find any try a P-120 Double Pedal(P-122)

Everyone has been telling me to get a used Pearl Eliminator. I have 3 questions:

1. I have very little idea about adjusting pedals. This would be the first time that I am actually practicing on a double pedal. If a get a used pedal, won't it create problems?

2. Iron Cobras are apparently very adjustable and durable. Why not an Iron Cobra?

3. Eliminators are apparently one the best pedals. Since I'm learning do I need such a good pedal? Why not DW 7000s?

Everyone has been telling me to get a used Pearl Eliminator. I have 3 questions:

1. I have very little idea about adjusting pedals. This would be the first time that I am actually practicing on a double pedal. If I get a used pedal, won't it create problems?

2. Iron Cobras are apparently very adjustable and durable. Why not an Iron Cobra?

3. Eliminators are apparently one of the best pedals. Since I'm learning so do I need such a good pedal? Why not DW 7000s?

I would like to suggest a different strategy. You said: "Been playing for around a year and a half now but cant seem to get anywhere." Instead of complicating things with the purchase of a second pedal, improve your skills with single pedal. I would recommend a time tested three stage approach: i) practice, ii) practice, and ii) practice.

Spend your money on a good pro quality pedal (e.g. DW5000 and equivalent and above). Then implement the three stage approach (see above). After a few years, you will be ready for doubles. You will then have your old high quality pedal to sit beside your hi hat to strike a cowbell or clave for example.

Just my two cents.

GJS

I would go for the best pedal you can afford and I would agree it's more important to be very proficient with one foot then it is to be less than average with two. As far as not knowing much about adjustments now is the time to learn it's part of your craft and not that difficult plenty of tips here on how to do so.

Each pedal has a completely different feel to it. The top ones most mentioned the DW5000, Pearl Eliminator, Iron Cobra, Yamaha flying dragon. ALL will serve you well and last it's just a matter of which one feels best to you. Again the adjustments on all these is pretty easy and if you are going to be proficient at playing you'll need to make adjustments to get the pedal truly dialed in for your playing style.

I personally think that DW is really expensive but PDP (the lower expense but perfectly fine version of DW) is what I have and I am definetly happy and pleased with it!!!! but i got mine in a hardware set i don't know if you can get them seprate or not!!! sorry!!! but PDP and Pearl are both good ways to go for your price range!!! :) guitar center is a good store to purchase pedals from also!!! so well.... now you have been given an extra tip

i just got a pair of iron cobras on craigslist with a case for $100. They were in great condition. Best to go with used stuff i say.

There are some excellent deals to be had on e-bay and craigs list if there is one for your area. Bottom line is you need to get to a shop and try all the pedals out you can to see what YOU like the best. Our opinions are just that ours, what works for us may not work for you.

Just had a thought, buy a P-120 double, theres not as much adjusting and such, and it'll be cheap to buy 2nd hand, plus it'll let you get used to a good moderate pedal, be4 moving on to a really really smooth and rly adjustable professional pedal. Also theres nothing wrong with buying 2nd hand, as long as its in good condition.

I'm gonna go for double pedals but I really have no idea what to get. As an amateur drummer I obviously won't be able to use a DW9000.

Apart from the price tag, there is no reason why a complete beginner would not be able to play a DW9000 pedal. You push the pedal, beater hits the head and makes your drum go boom. Basically, that's all there really is to any pedal.

But my advice is, if you can't find anything used, try to get a Pearl P122-TW, a powershifter twin. I have them, they are great. Plenty of options for setting it up. I wouldn't spend any more money than that on a pedal, there's very little added value in buying the absolute top-of-the-line gear, hardware-wise.

THANKS A LOT FOR THE INFO GUYS!!!!

Really helped. After a lot more research I decided to go Iron Cobra Power Glides. Checked out an amazing indepth review and comparison of DWs, ICs and Pearls at Pearl's forum. I recommend that thread for anyone who wants to get a detailed comparison between these three brands of pedals.

Cheers mates
WISH ME LUCK!!!!
I'LL post some pics lol.

THANKS A LOT FOR THE INFO GUYS!!!!

Really helped. After a lot more research I decided to go Iron Cobra Power Glides. Checked out an amazing indepth review and comparison of DWs, ICs and Pearls at Pearl's forum. I recommend that thread for anyone who wants to get a detailed comparison between these three brands of pedals.

Cheers mates
WISH ME LUCK!!!!
I'LL post some pics lol.

LOL< of course the Pearl is going to be better rated from the Pearl forum! You really can't go wrong with an eliminator or a cobra, they're both very solid pedals, very smooth.

Back