Jon Fishman

Can anybody break down for me what he plays with his left hand when he is ghosting the hell out of it in YEM?

Anyone try transcribing what he plays? I got through about 7 minutes of YEM (studio version) when I was in college. I'm gonna go look for that and play around. I'll try to post that here later if possible.

I found a collection of notebooks from college! If no one's following this right now I'll save it. If/when anyone's interested, let me know and I'll scan/link my transcription of the first minute or two of YEM to this thread. I'd love some comments/questions/feedback.

RRHarding I'd love to see what you got. The ghost notes on YEM are so sweet. I've been trying to get those down. I've also been doing a Phish tribute for a while now called Lawn Boys. If you get a minute and you're interested, check out our videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLawnBoysNYC. Many things that Fishman does I still cannot get down after much practicing (how to count TASTE, please let me know. It's polyrhythm for sure, but what? 4:47-5:23 of Ice studio recording, Reba 2:40-6:45 studio recording. These are killer ORIGINAL ideas that only a few musicians in history get the creativity to write!

Phish just released videos of the band talking about their current (2012/3) touring set up. Fish's videos are:

Part One

Part Two

Part One is him in the practice room, Part Two is him talking about his rig. Unfortunately he doesn't go into the kind of detail that most people on this forum might have wanted, but it's still quite interesting.

WHAT CYMBALS ARE JON FISHMAN PLAYING NOW???? and why is it so hard to get online?

The one thing about Jon that makes him different is that he uses whatever he likes and holds no allegiance to any company. if you watch the gear videos posted, you can see some of what he uses. Its is a mix of Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, and Istanbul cymbals.

I "think" he uses an HHX Groove ride currently and I believe I also saw an 18" HHX Evolution crash there as well.

From a drumstick standpoint, I know he uses the Vic Firth Peter Erskine Ride stick. I own a signed one that I won in a Mimi Fishman Foundation charity auction. He signed both sticks in the pair so I gave the other on to my best friend who turned me on to Phish around 15 years ago.

Another Fishman fan here. He was the first drummer I heard that impressed me in this way that I knew he was something different than other drummers.

Even though there are drummers with more complicated stuff, I like some of his syncopation-driven beats on songs like All Things Reconsidered, Rift, and Limb by Limb.

I wonder how he does the beat from The Wedge... I haven't seen him play it, but do any of you guys know if he uses an auxiliary hat or if he just does the hi-hat part with his left hand or however he plays that groove?

This video should show how he plays it live. There is a closeup at the beginning when he starts playing.

http://vimeo.com/45995814

I was first introduced to Phish in 2010. At first I hated every minute of it. I grew up listening to metal and rock, you know typical radio stuff (Sevendust, Godsmack, Chevelle, ect.) and some oddball stuff (Gwar, etc.). I grew on me and the genius of Jon Fishman shines through his playing. His ability to play the hi hat is insane. The guy is nearly a genius and his antics on stage just inflate his persona so that much more.

To hear Fishman at his best:

http://www.phishows.com/ -> 2011 -> Hollywood Bowl (8-8-11)

Claude Coleman from Ween is another drummer who most have never heard of.

Phish.net says he plays a Yamaha Stage Custom w/ an 18 " bass drum! That is so cool, He could play any kit he wants.

Bumping this thread just because Fish and Phish are soooo great. The man is one of a kind.

As someone so eloquently said, he is my Bonham

Back