New refinishing project started+ Joey Kramer pic

Drumsword

Pioneer Member
Here are a few pics of the 2 drums I am refinishing to upgrade and revamp my Blue Sparkle set.

Currently it has a 22X16 bass drum, that is being shelved (Until I want it again) and a 28X14 Leedy will be replacing it. I also am adding a 16X16 floor tom to the set and an refinishing that as well. I was getting parts for the floor tom I had which was in really bad shape, but they had an old export tom with all the parts for $20. Thus saving me about $30.

So here are the pix of those 2. I'll be posting pix of my process peridodically, hopefully done by this time next week. There was a little damage to the floor tom I will be repairing and a little damage to the bass hoop, that Can't be repaired but shouldn't affect anything.

When I went to get the heads, etc over the weekend at the drum shop in Portland, Joey Kramer was there signing Autographs...so here is a pic of myself with him too.

Oh Yeah, I had to squeeze the giant 28" heads, plus the 16X16 floor tom into the jeep with the 2 kids.... pix of them too. ;)

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 868
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 855
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 863
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 872
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 866
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 859
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 883
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 866
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 864
Last edited:
Finally! Great idea to make it blue sparkle. The bassdrum on it side looks like a giant snare shell by the way; the proportions are just right.

Wonderfull kids you have to. Hehe, you could say you have nice kits ánd kids...

Finally! Great idea to make it blue sparkle. The bassdrum on it side looks like a giant snare shell by the way; the proportions are just right.

Wonderfull kids you have to. Hehe, you could say you have nice kits ánd kids...

LoL thanks, Hmmmm Kits n Kids sounds like a documentary or after school program. And Damn....a Custom built 28X14 Snare drum. Why didn't I think of that.

woah dude, you kind of look like an old accountant type in your display picture, but in the picture with kramer, you look like you could crack some skulls! hah

woah dude, you kind of look like an old accountant type in your display picture, but in the picture with kramer, you look like you could crack some skulls! hah

lol, Thanks. I also work part time as a bouncer.

Updates: Sanded and black primed the shells last night. Hoping to paint and have the blue applied tonight if all goes well. Here are pics from last night.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 726
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 729
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 725
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 730
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 738
Started to apply the sparkle last night but in the 90+ deg heat the paint dried FAST. So, I wasted some of the sparkle on the first run.

I ended up painting bout 12" worth of shell and applying sparkle, and kept that process through until I ran out of the blue sparkle. One of the pics shows the difference from the paint to sparkle where I ran out.

Here though are the pics of what is done, will finish applying sparkle tonight and then start coats of lacquer.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 579
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 580
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 592
nnniiiicccceeee....can't wait to see the finished product!

I have the blue completely applied. I have also applied 5 coats of lacquer. and today I finished the rims. Hopefully my spurs will be in tomorrow and I'll have the hardware and new heads on and be able to post finished pix by wed or thursday. :)

wow, amazing... i wasnt aware you could put in a sparkle the same way i used to make glittery crafts in kindegarden :p

but seriously, i thought sparkles were just wraps.. this looks amazing to me

The sparkles are usually wraps yes, but I can't afford to re-wrap sets that often, so I found a way to make my own.

Apply liberal amounts of glitter to wet paint, let it set a day or two, then seal it tight with multiple layers of lacquer.

Works great :)

The sparkles are usually wraps yes, but I can't afford to re-wrap sets that often, so I found a way to make my own.

Apply liberal amounts of glitter to wet paint, let it set a day or two, then seal it tight with multiple layers of lacquer.

Works great :)

thats SO cool! I really want to try doing this!, maybe i'll scour the local pawn shops for a beat to shit wooden snare, and try this out.. just for the hell of it!

is it any specific glitter needed? or can i just rob my local daycare center?

But that bass drum had a totally cool vintage look going on. ;)

Cool way of sparkling a kit. Can't wait to see the pictures of the finished product!

Wow, looks really great and what a fun project. I never heard of a sparkle finish being painted on. I assumed you would be putting on a wrap.

From what I can tell in the photos, the painted sparkle looks more vivid and the sparkly pieces look bigger and flashier. Cool!

Back