Gretsch toms and mic holders

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
I am going to buy some Tom mics and am looking for a type were the mic holder is attached to the Tom rim.
I have Gretsch drums and am concerned that the Tom suspension system could make it difficult to mount the mic holder. What works with Gretsch?
EV, Audix, Shure, AKG, Sennheiser or Beyer is preferred brands.

Thx

Jorn

I am going to buy some Tom mics and am looking for a type were the mic holder is attached to the Tom rim.
I have Gretsch drums and am concerned that the Tom suspension system could make it difficult to mount the mic holder. What works with Gretsch?
EV, Audix, Shure, AKG, Sennheiser or Beyer is preferred brands.

Thx

Jorn

I have a set of the Audix dVice clamps. They clamp onto the rim no problem, but since a large portion of the rim is covered by the tom mount, mic placement can be a little strange. You have to clip the mount to the rim at the end of the tom mount, and then bend the gooseneck a bit to get the mic where you want it.

I have a Pearl rack, so I now use a set of Gibraltar short boom arms to mount the mics directly to the rack instead of the drums.

Thanks all,

Right now the Audix mikes is on top of my list, but I need to check what BradGunnerSGT says. I would prefer the mike position at 12 o'clock.
I am also interested to hear about the AKG clamps. I like compact size of the AKG D40 tom mike.

jorn

Back