Show pics of your... SABIANS!

Hmmm, that's interesting. I've heard plenty of bad-sounding Sabians. Every cymbal company makes bad cymbals

...agreed.

I have owned several bad sounding sabians, the worst one being a 20" aa extra heavy ride. That thing was a manhole cover. It was dull, lifeless, and crashed like a cinder block.

here is a picture of my niece playing on my gig kit with my gig cymbals 20" hh manhattan, 16" hh thin, 17" hhxtreme, 18" aa el sabor and 14" hh dark hats. These are my favorites. I can do it all with this combo.

and here is my rocker niece playing on my five piece with a 20" aa el sabor, 20" hh manhattan, 18" hh medium, 18" hhxtreme crashes, and a pair of 14" aa el sabor hats.

Barry

Last edited:
To answer your question on why we play Sabians...
I don't know why everyone else plays Sabian, but I sure as hell know why I do. I play Sabian cymbals because they are unique, innovative, customer friendly and versatile. They will literally make you ANY cymbal you ask for. I could ask for an AA 23" Powerbell Rock Ride and they would make it, just for me. The sound on the cymbals is just really good as well. They are always thinking of new ideas that literally revolutionize the way cymbals are made (such as HHX's Tone Projection and AAX's Dynamic Focus). Sabian's also have a specific sound that appeals to me. I could easily use Zildjian, but would they make me a cymbal? Do their cymbals stick out from the croud? No... That summerizes why I use Sabian.

To answer your question on why we play Sabians...
I don't know why everyone else plays Sabian, but I sure as hell know why I do. I play Sabian cymbals because they are unique, innovative, customer friendly and versatile. They will literally make you ANY cymbal you ask for. I could ask for an AA 23" Powerbell Rock Ride and they would make it, just for me. The sound on the cymbals is just really good as well. They are always thinking of new ideas that literally revolutionize the way cymbals are made (such as HHX's Tone Projection and AAX's Dynamic Focus). Sabian's also have a specific sound that appeals to me. I could easily use Zildjian, but would they make me a cymbal? Do their cymbals stick out from the croud? No... That summerizes why I use Sabian.
They make you custom cymbals!? That is so cool!

Well, the sun decided to come out, so I took my new beloved Sabians outside for a little photoshoot...

20" Vault Artisan Light Ride
22" Vault Artisan Light Ride
22" HHX Legacy Heavy Ride

Attachments

• 20Artisan3.jpg
    20Artisan3.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 5,134
  • 22Artisan4.jpg
    22Artisan4.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 2,644
  • 22Legacy3.jpg
    22Legacy3.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 2,609
  • cymbalwall.jpg
    cymbalwall.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 2,551
Just a question: why do people use Sabians? To my ear they're nothing special...Not saying their bad, I've just heard lots of better cymbals.
Luckily, your ears are not a reference for quality and neither are mine.

The way you hear the cymbals is how YOU hear them, and everyone is different.
I have owned several bad sounding sabians, the worst one being a 20" aa extra heavy ride.
Why would you own cymbals you didnt like the sound of? Was it an incorrect purchase on your behalf? The 20" extra heavy ride is by no means a genericly BAD sounding cymbal, and at least two people test every cast cymbal at the factory before it even gets shipped out.

Im not doubting it may not have been the right sound for you, but to say it was 'bad' is a little unfair.

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

Not to start a fight or anything, but Sabian (and technically by extension Paiste, Bosphorus, Meinl and all other cymbal companies) wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Zildjian, so I think a little credit is due. I personally prefer Zildjian because I find Sabian to have too much of a bell quality to them, though I did almost buy the 13" Paragon hats over my 14" A customs. Sabian doesn't make bad cymbals, none of the big name brands do. In fact, I have to say they make some pretty unique models (Rocktagons, Studio crashes, and some of their percussion sounds are amazing) but it's not something that gets used all the time, almost like it's a novelty. And I will give them credit for making custom cymbals to order. This all being said, I think other factors come into play when choosing brands (not just for cymbals.) Yes sound does play a factor in it, the HHX and HH series are incredible, but personally I can't stand the Sabian logo. I think it looks childish and could be designed better. Does this make them bad? No, but knowing that I will get quality any way I choose, aesthetics do become a factor in my choices. I guess in all I'm just kind of tired of the fight between brands.

Not to start a fight or anything, but Sabian (and technically by extension Paiste, Bosphorus, Meinl and all other cymbal companies) wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Zildjian, so I think a little credit is due. I personally prefer Zildjian because I find Sabian to have too much of a bell quality to them, though I did almost buy the 13" Paragon hats over my 14" A customs. Sabian doesn't make bad cymbals, none of the big name brands do. In fact, I have to say they make some pretty unique models (Rocktagons, Studio crashes, and some of their percussion sounds are amazing) but it's not something that gets used all the time, almost like it's a novelty. And I will give them credit for making custom cymbals to order. This all being said, I think other factors come into play when choosing brands (not just for cymbals.) Yes sound does play a factor in it, the HHX and HH series are incredible, but personally I can't stand the Sabian logo. I think it looks childish and could be designed better. Does this make them bad? No, but knowing that I will get quality any way I choose, aesthetics do become a factor in my choices. I guess in all I'm just kind of tired of the fight between brands.

I would second that logo comment, I find the Sabian logo to be very ugly.

sabian1.jpg

zildjian_logo.jpg

Paiste%20logo-001-fixed.jpg

I like the Sabian logo because it's like a cymbal, and the word completes the circle.

The Zildjian logo works because the typeface harkens (never thought I'd use that word) back to the time when they were first made.

Paiste's logo is cool because it's modern and trendy. Kind of quirky too.

...agreed.

I have owned several bad sounding sabians, the worst one being a 20" aa extra heavy ride. That thing was a manhole cover. It was dull, lifeless, and crashed like a cinder block.

here is a picture of my niece playing on my gig kit with my gig cymbals 20" hh manhattan, 16" hh thin, 17" hhxtreme, 18" aa el sabor and 14" hh dark hats. These are my favorites. I can do it all with this combo.

and here is my rocker niece playing on my five piece with a 20" aa el sabor, 20" hh manhattan, 18" hh medium, 18" hhxtreme crashes, and a pair of 14" aa el sabor hats.

Barry

WIth all due respect, sir.... your niece is hot.

But your drums are too. Amazing match.

i know...it"s probly not the place for it, but i have to get rid of some stuff i don't use anymore and am selling a 16" and an 18" aax-plosion...message me if interested. i'll take 180 for both

Nice Sabians guys ( i especially love the HHX and the Vault rides). The only thing that bothers me is where is the love for the paragons??? I absolutley adore my 18" i would post pics of my cymbals (Xs20's, AAx splash and para crash but they are in great need of a wash +polish so no pics this time....take it easy on me, its my first post ).

Btw Nice Sonor Kit + Prototypes DaveSyzygy :D

My 13" AA Fusion Hats.

160enox.jpg

Note the raw, vented bottom.

30adh5c.jpg

It's really thick:

15db9dz.jpg

And an AA 16" bright crash (best crash I've heard)

nwyps6.jpg

2pzzq5s.jpg

Back